Apple HomePod

Hawk13

Anything that compresses the files is a compromise on quality - so yes, Spotify or MP3 files will sacrifice sound. Whether you can hear it or have a system that will allow you to hear the difference is an other story.

Or you could do what I do which is continue to buy and play vinyl and indulge in a proper reproduction of what the artist intended ;)

CatmanV2

I think you have to spend quite a lot on a vinyl system before it starts to sound better than a digital system at the same price point

C

rossyl

Strangely, I think the best sounding bit of kit I had on my old separates system was my Denon Radio (TU-260), when compared to a Marantz CD player (6000 OSE).

I think it must boil down to personal taste of your medium of choice.

Any form of recording is by definition a compression of sound. Very few, if any, recordings can be completely "loss-less" despite being called that. That said, listening to a recording of any piece of music, compared to being at the live performance, will never be the same experience. Arguably, depending on your musical taste, could be worse in terms of sound quality.

Listening to a band in a stadium with the sound echoing, isn't likely to be as good as a studio recording.

Listening to Opera at the ROH, well it depends where you sit. Sit in the Gods, or sat in the stalls, what you hear is different.

Even if Clapton played just to you, no microphone, a-capella on a acoustic guitar, would that sound-staging be better than properly recorded stereo, sat the right distance, with carefully positoned speakers etc - or even a very nice pair of headphones?

The point of all of this is that you can never create perfection, it is all too subjective.

As for vinyl, surely the real reason its preferred is because of the physical nature of it, the process of it, the imperfections of it all of which creates the nostalgia of playing a vinyl. It's subjective.

The point I was trying to make was a more objective one, between a 320kbps mp3, vs whatever quality Catman and the like were recording at. As that is measurable, I wonder if you played the same song at 320kbps vs ~1,000kbps, whether the difference would be heard?

I know what you can hear is also person dependent, but at least that would be a measurable test.

Wack61

This is the argument on every hifi forum, streaming sucks , I jump around depending what's on offer , currently I'm on tidal hifi, £5 for 5 months , tidal does sound better but it's not like spotify and deezer sound like a stretched C120 tape , there's not much in it .
Same goes for CD , through a quality system they all sound great

rockits

With my ears and the constant high pitched screaming in them I doubt I could tell the difference between 128kbps and 12800kpbs

Wack61

when they had those high pitched boxes outside shops to scare teenagers away I couldn't hear them 25 years ago, imagine how much I've lost since then , but if I spend £2000 on a mains lead as long as I tick the £150 super burn in plus box I'm sure it'll all come back.63993

CatmanV2

The point I was trying to make was a more objective one, between a 320kbps mp3, vs whatever quality Catman and the like were recording at. As that is measurable, I wonder if you played the same song at 320kbps vs ~1,000kbps, whether the difference would be heard?

Possibly. If you're talking about analogue to a 320 or 1000kbps bitrate
CD ripping, not a chance. In theory ripping at > 44k is pointless since that's the sample rate of the CD...

This is the argument on every hifi forum, streaming sucks

Been a while since I was on any serious forum, but What HiFi which used to be the benchmark for 'reasonable' kit has adopted streaming (either locally or from cloud) as their apparent medium of choice, just as vinyl was back in the 80s and 90s.

Still can't figure out why my nephew and niece think something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akai-A60011-Blue-Premium-Suitcase/dp/B01AMC5SES

Is such a good idea!
C

Wack61

Possibly. If you're talking about analogue to a 320 or 1000kbps bitrate
CD ripping, not a chance. In theory ripping at > 44k is pointless since that's the sample rate of the CD...

Been a while since I was on any serious forum, but What HiFi which used to be the benchmark for 'reasonable' kit has adopted streaming (either locally or from cloud) as their apparent medium of choice, just as vinyl was back in the 80s and 90s.

Still can't figure out why my nephew and niece think something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akai-A60011-Blue-Premium-Suitcase/dp/B01AMC5SES

Is such a good idea!
C

I had something similar in the 1960s until my sister and I got cassette decks with microphones around 1970-71 , she got the better one though because my dad dropped one and cracked it

Here you go son , sorry about the crack , is mine cracked dad , no yours is fine :(

about 15 years ago my brother in law invited me round to see his new stereo , as soon as I saw the blue LED lights on it I thought WTF

Wack61

Naim UnitiQute has arrived though it was touch and go as to whether royal mail had lost it as the tracking showed it arrived at the delivery office then sent back to glasgow then back here
just streaming steven Wilson to it via the audioengine , they say the amp is the Nait 5i
To say it sounds great is an understatement
Marantz for sale :D
I've tried about 10 amps with these spendor speakers , this one is the best by a country mile

CatmanV2

Not, in the slightest bit, surprised.

Marantz has a great rep, but IMHO pretty strictly mid-market. There's obviously a large number of people that think Naim is mid-market but.....

Well done you.

C

rossyl

Naim UnitiQute has arrived though it was touch and go as to whether royal mail had lost it as the tracking showed it arrived at the delivery office then sent back to glasgow then back here
just streaming steven Wilson to it via the audioengine , they say the amp is the Nait 5i
To say it sounds great is an understatement
Marantz for sale :D
I've tried about 10 amps with these spendor speakers , this one is the best by a country mile
Sounds great. Congrats.

What is your source that you are streaming from?

Cheers

Wack61

Tidal hifi from my phone to audioengine B1 ,the UnitiQute has got wifi so I might be able to do away with the bluetooth streamer but I haven't worked out how to do that yet
I'm going to connect the cd and turntable tomorrow

Wack61

Not, in the slightest bit, surprised.

Marantz has a great rep, but IMHO pretty strictly mid-market. There's obviously a large number of people that think Naim is mid-market but.....

Well done you.

It seems amplifier power can be likened to camera megapixels , just numbers that don't really mean much , like buying a 24mp body and a £50 lens then wondering why your pictures are ****, but but look how many megapixels it has

I think this naim is 30wpc which doesn't sound anywhere near enough but it's so clear, even at low volumes.
I'm listening to music I've never tried before , Gregory Porter now

CatmanV2

Well I can't help with the Gregory Porter problem, but I hope you recover soon.

Watts mean totally nada. Unless you're Andy K and thrashing ;)

One thing I find as the perceived quality gets better is that the volume creeps up to what is more like genuine levels (bands are actually rather loud, usually) as there's no harshness.

You realise there's no hope for you now?

C

Wack61

Unless somebody advertises one of those 5k Naim amps for £500 by mistake i'll be sticking with this one :D

Wack61

You say now......

C
Most people must go through life listening to a £1000 worth of Bose or Sonos and thinking how good it sounds but they really have no idea.

I've barely watched any TV in the last few days because I can't stop listening to it.

It's not even particularly loud, hard to describe , it's like I can hear each individual instrument being played with the vocals over the top.

If i lived in a terraced street i'd be dragging people off the pavement
"Here, come and listen to this " :D

IanU

Most people must go through life listening to a £1000 worth of Bose or Sonos and thinking how good it sounds but they really have no idea.

I've barely watched any TV in the last few days because I can't stop listening to it.

It's not even particularly loud, hard to describe , it's like I can hear each individual instrument being played with the vocals over the top.

If i lived in a terraced street i'd be dragging people off the pavement
"Here, come and listen to this " :D
I have the 1st Gen Naim MuSo. I've got all the inputs covered by SMR Turntable, TEAC Cassette deck (3.5mm jack), Brennan 2Tb hard drive/CD (optical), plus internet radio, bluetoooth from whatever.
It looks fabulous and sounds sublime. In John Lewis I'm always trying to see if I can connect to theirs and tempt anyone else to buy one :)

Wack61

I've hit a hiccup with my naim
The rega planar 3 worked fine with the marantz but with the naim it's really quiet , even at 100 volume it's barely audible but it is working

I'm wondering if I need a phono pre amp