New and in need of guidance.............

Andi

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, desperately researching these cars and working out whether to take the plunge. I am informed that the 4.2 GT / CC is a better package (particularly electronics), but would like to hear from those with experience

I have had this ad marked for months in Autotrader, I can only assume this is not a good car.............? It this one anyone has viewed?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703243644850?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

And this one seems fairly priced. I saw some of the warnings of bad cars in prior threads, any help appreciated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Mas...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

cheers

Andi

zagatoes30

The Spyder has a later facelift rear bumper but pre face lift front also no bee sting aerial. On an 02 it should all be pre facelift so check for rear end bump at some point. Vents and switches show the normal wear for this age / mileage car. Price is keen but if its been around at that price for some time you need to ask why. Inspection would tell you everything.

I think we have discussed this car before but one of the experts will be able to confirm.

Noticed the Spyder sitting there too. Sorry I can't help with any specifics.
As Andy said, someone with specific knowledge will be along shortly.
If not, post again in the main chat forum. This tends to be the quiet end of the forum.
Generally speaking, I'd ask the seller where the car was serviced. Call that garage and if you can, talk to the mechanic who worked on the car. Listen very carefully.
That's an essential part of your due diligence and may help you avoid a money pit ;)

outrun

Take a look at the car being sold by Spartacus. It's a good price for a well kept, later 4200. That Spyder looks shabby to me and needs a new hood probably. The coupe looks like it's been touched by the Halfords team with a silly looking set of back boxes. illegal plates and shabby interior.

The rules are simple.

By the best one you can afford. Ideally one that this forum knows of. A good one is a peach, a bad one will cost money to make it better and may still always be average.

safrane

The car you are looking at also has a US front bumper. Two none spec bumpers would make me worry it's had a bump.

Also note these cars should have a service every year. Spyders, used just on summer days, tend to have very patchy history so check that out with the book/invoices/calling the garages to double check...and if its by Billy Bobs local outfit then think again and be prepared to walk away.

Spyders also suffer from scuttle shake, the newer ones not as bad.

Also look for post MY 2004 cars with a glass rear screen.

Check the hood works perfectly and note a retrim is close to £4k if its torn. Straps can snag or work loose over time causing the front pull bar to jam and seizing the while mechanism.

Good luck

If the Spyder has had a bump, my money would be on a Cat D classification causing it to sit, until priced accordingly. Plus all of the above.

Andi

Given its location, hints and tips provided I am going to give it a miss. Also, trying to view spartacus' car in the near future...........

Thank you all for your help !!!!

Vampyrebat

Given its location, hints and tips provided I am going to give it a miss. Also, trying to view spartacus' car in the near future...........

Thank you all for your help !!!!
Make sure it's got fuel in it........He has a problem reading guages:D

Normally Autotrader flags up a Cat car automatically giving the advertiser no choice in whether to mention it or not.

Didn't know that. Good to know. Read far too many ads on eBay where the seller mentions a 'little bump' or similar, which usually translates as Cat D/C, when asked.