GT or GS

Saigon

I have seen advertised a 2007 GT and a 2006 GS either of which I am seriously contemplating, but need a nudge in the right direction. Price wise there is only 1k difference, what other factors both positive and negative should I take into consideration. All input most appreciated, as I am sure a lot of you will have had experience in one way or another with both.

CatmanV2

What do you want out of the experience?

The GT is a fabulous car. Great drive, wonderful place to sit, more advanced tech and silky smooth.

GS is going to be leaner, meaner and more dangerous to know :D

C

Tufan

To be fair, the base 4.2 is a little too tame for me.

C

You mean the 4.2 on the GT?

I'm surprised the price difference is so low between GT and GS. Min 30% price gap in Turkey but I see one GS for sale on Turkish web while 17 GT 4.2 and 29 GT 4.7 and 1 MC Stradale 2012.

CatmanV2

You mean the 4.2 on the GT?

I'm surprised the price difference is so low between GT and GS. Min 30% price gap in Turkey but I see one GS for sale on Turkish web while 17 GT 4.2 and 29 GT 4.7 and 1 MC Stradale 2012.

Yes I mean the GT. I want the visceral nature of a CC type box. Bit of extra cc won' hurt either :)

The 4.2 GT is still a wonderful thing and I love it dearly. But I want that little bit of extra zing.

C

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I mean the GT. I want the visceral nature of a CC type box. Bit of extra cc won' hurt either :)

The 4.2 GT is still a wonderful thing and I love it dearly. But I want that little bit of extra zing.

C

Oi, Chris, over here!

rockits

If I had a choice of GS or 4.2 GT for the same money I'd go GS. The only GT I would go for is a 4.7 GT S or Strad.

That is of course my only personal circumstances or opinion. That is coming from a man who has a 4.2 QP btw which is pretty much a 4.2 GT. However at maybe 10k less for virtually the same car is the main reason. Would I spend 10k more for GT body over a QP body....no..and didn't. I like the GT don't get me wrong but would rather use the 10k on something else.

ofenomeno99

Super tough decision. I've owned both and they're both a completely different experience. I personally prefer the GS, but that's because I love how raw and old school it feels and looks, it's also a lot more sporty. However, I feel like the GS is a car that you have to properly understand to really appreciate what it's about. My wife, family, friends all hated it and just saw it as an “old car,†but that's because they don't get it. It's a special bond that you share with the car - and it's very individual and unique. I think it's an acquired taste.

The GT is a very comfortable good looking cruiser (still powerful) that makes you feel really good. It still looks and feels modern and has the wow factor.

It's one of those decisions where you need to spend some time with both and only you will know which one you will like.

But if someone that wasn't aware of the Maserati brand and asked me to make the decision for them, I'd have to say stretch your budget a bit and go for the 4.7 mc shift.

ofenomeno99

Didn’t realise you had a Coupe - the GS will be a slightly improved variant of yours - I suggest you check out the GT in person, sit in it and start it up. See if it talks to you. At this point you should be either mesmerised and ready to go for it, or you’ll know that it isn’t the one for you and I highly recommend checking out a 4.7 mc shift :jpbelial:

Andyk

You just have to get out there and drive both.....but I think if you drive a 4.2 GT and then a GS you may take the GS as the GT will feel heavy and needed a bit more power. A 4.7 is a different matter though. Plus the GS will hold it values come resale and may even go up....GT is still dropping...If that's important to you worth considering.

safrane

It's you car and your choice, and as such advice is rather limited, more a prospective from other owners.

Trying any of these cars for a few hours is not really going to give you a proper prospective. You really eed to know yourself what you want the car for as they are very different.

As some have said the GS is smaller, more nimble, quite sporty and a decent GT.

The GT on the other hand is a much larger GT, swift and softer all round.

Both fit four comfortably with the GT having the endge on comfort.

Running cost are broadly similar, GS is cheaper but requires more frequent services and has a clutch, the GT less often but parts are more. But the GS will not depreciate.

I have had a number of chats with people in a similar position and it comes down to what your longer term use is. Try them both... stick to your budget and dont get too hung up on power, engine size they are all lovely cars.

Good hunting.

montravia

Didn’t realise you had a Coupe - the GS will be a slightly improved variant of yours - I suggest you check out the GT in person, sit in it and start it up. See if it talks to you. At this point you should be either mesmerised and ready to go for it, or you’ll know that it isn’t the one for you and I highly recommend checking out a 4.7 mc shift :jpbelial:

What happened to me.

The GT is large, not just wide, but length. If you wish to garage it, check your dimensions. It won't fit a 'standard' garage. Double check your length