Glove Box Stuck!

Migliore

Pulled up at the busy servo this morning to fill up only to find I couldn't open the glove box to pop the fuel cap!

I had to drive away and park up to find the release mechanism from inside the boot, (I expected to find something more substantial than a piece of string)
but a crisis was averted.

Any tips or experience of others to open the box? I intend to attack it with some WD40 and J..J.. Jiggle it.

jayblue

My glove box did this last year and no amount of jiggling would open it. Turned out there is a plastic joint inside the catch that had broken off rendering the handle useless. The only way I found to get inside was to undo the screws on the lower side of the glove box that hold it in place and gently drop it down from underneath, removing the whole thing. Following that I did some remedial repairs and refitted it.

I also had it get stuck prior to this but was able to open it by using the key in the lock. Can't say for sure if this was related to the above issue or a different thing though.

Migliore

That's good to hear thanks Jay, lucky for me the owners manual wasn't in the glove box at the time but in the seat pocket.

alfatwo

I have a good used fuel flap, boot lock switch / glove box light assembly, 3200/4200 etc. FOC .. just pay for the postage

Dave

Migliore

My glove box did this last year and no amount of jiggling would open it. Turned out there is a plastic joint inside the catch that had broken off rendering the handle useless. The only way I found to get inside was to undo the screws on the lower side of the glove box that hold it in place and gently drop it down from underneath, removing the whole thing. Following that I did some remedial repairs and refitted it.

I also had it get stuck prior to this but was able to open it by using the key in the lock. Can't say for sure if this was related to the above issue or a different thing though.

Migliore

Hi Jayblue
Curious to know what remedial repairs you were able to do on this item ?
A$ 400 to replace with a new one from Eurospares!!
I’ve sent a message to their “ wrecking page”
To express an interest in the glove box, no response to date. I assume that a better price is obtained for the whole vehicle and the buyer then on sells the parts.

nfm

I had this issue and the plastic lug had broken - not reparable. I got a handle second hand but, in stating the perhaps not obvious, be aware left hand side and right hand side are not the same so you need UK spec. Good luck.

jayblue

Hi Jayblue
Curious to know what remedial repairs you were able to do on this item ?
A$ 400 to replace with a new one from Eurospares!!
I’ve sent a message to their “ wrecking page”
To express an interest in the glove box, no response to date. I assume that a better price is obtained for the whole vehicle and the buyer then on sells the parts.

Here is a picture of how I found mine had broken. You will find it easiest to remove the glovebox from the car to dismantle it to this point. The plastic piece on the left of the photo pivots when the handle is moved to release the catch. Superglue by itself wasn't strong enough to keep the piece in place with the pressure it is put under when opening the glovebox. If yours has broken in the same place you will need to reinforce the repair somehow along with gluing the broken piece back on. It really is a part that should be made of a stronger material!

Attachments

• 20170810_145601.jpg
    20170810_145601.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19

Migliore

Thanks for that Jayblue, mine’s gone in the same manner. Was it difficult to find one second hand?

jayblue

Like you have found the price of a replacement is high for what is essentially a plastic part. I was able to pin the lug back in place and use glue to supplement the fix. It is holding together for the moment. Still keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement part.