QPV feature Pistonheads

Ebenezer

So Good I bought one!
But echo the maintenance cost comment, unless you are handy with spanners for the bits that don't require the car being hooked up to an SD3
Eb

Andyk

Good read.....Not very complimentary about current range and as with most reviews saying DS is not a good gear box......but great to see a very positive review of what is one of if not Maserati's best cars.

Wanderer

Funnily enough & I might be wrong I thought the DS was 53/47 rear/front and the ZF 51/49 rear/front.

That has to be marketing speak, there's no way it makes any sense, Engine/gb at the front (admittedly quite far aft) and just a diff at the back? With the DS they should have gone de Dion suspension with inboard discs for added frustration, Alfa 75-style....

Bit like the supposedly huge boot with the 'negative Tardis' effect....

rockits

It does make sense as transaxle gearbox at back on DS would give more weight at rear than ZF with gearbox at front. Does it not?

TridentTested

Me too. The transaxle must add to the balance ?
In inverse proportion to my bank (balance) :D

Me too.

But DSs costing the earth in clutches every other year is a myth. My 2006 is still on its original clutch with a large percentage still remaining.

Look at it another way, an Alfa 166 (with a conventional automatic box) would have needed 4 or 5 cam belt changes over this period. ;)

Wanderer

Me too.

But DSs costing the earth in clutches every other year is a myth. My 2006 is still on its original clutch with a large percentage still remaining.

Look at it another way, an Alfa 166 (with a conventional automatic box) would have needed 4 or 5 cam belt changes over this period. ;)

According to the FSH (Charles Hurst) with my 2006 QP DS it had it's first clutch replacement at 98.5k. 105k now....

IanU

This car is/was up for sale with Nareman at Nuvolla in London. It was an absolutely stunning example. I went and looked at it as it was on my short list. The Sport GTS pipped it to the post - but it's definitely still on the reserve list. Beautiful.

Mattp

A nice, complementary review! although, much like the others have said - the DS gearbox, maybe lacking in finesse, but I do love the feel compared to a slushbox!

Andyk

This car is/was up for sale with Nareman at Nuvolla in London. It was an absolutely stunning example. I went and looked at it as it was on my short list. The Sport GTS pipped it to the post - but it's definitely still on the reserve list. Beautiful.

Lovely car it is but just too much black for me...Could do with a light leather inside....

IanU

Lovely car it is but just too much black for me...Could do with a light leather inside....

I know what you mean, I was of the completely opposite view tbh, I was looking for one with black leather (or red - Nareman had a black D/S with red leather which was stunning too) with red stitching like this one so it ticked most of the boxes. I also looked at a similar one in black with light grey leather and it just felt wrong somehow - too cold looking. Ended up with a QPV Sport GTS that was just too beautiful to pass on even though it was double the price.

Andyk

Agree wth grey.....It is just a bit old man Merc than Mercedes....Although the one they used on the 4200 was much better as it was pretty light but the rest not for me. Also the problem with the creams and beige colours is that they don't wear as well as black.