SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch 8:45 pm

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
If you missed it, it's here:
Most exciting stuff I've seen in ages, seeing both booster rockets land back together was something from International Rescue!
Just love the humour using the Tesla, apparently there is a copy of 'hitchhikers guide to the galaxy' in the glove box!

[video=youtube_share;wbSwFU6tY1c]http://youtu.be/wbSwFU6tY1c[/video]

MarkMas

Chief pedant
It's still surprising to me that it is worth re-using the boosters. It seems like a LOT of extra effort, payload and risk to have to bring them home and re-fuel them.

jluis

It's still surprising to me that it is worth re-using the boosters. It seems like a LOT of extra effort, payload and risk to have to bring them home and re-fuel them.

Most of the 27 engines of the rocket are on those 3 boosters and they represent a huge cost.
Reusing then is what enables the launch to only cost 90 million

conaero

Forum Owner
Times have changed. They are planning a new model that will do 0-60 in 1.5 seconds!

Yes, vertically into space :)

Seriously though, its not all about ultimate speed, Ill stick with the rumbling and snarling V8 for now thanks. The only electric I would consider is as a KERS aid to a petrol engine.

GeoffCapes

Isn't all this space stuff at odds with Tesla's boast about being super duper environmental?

Got knows what the carbon emissions are for each rocket launch. More than a few V8's I bet!

2b1ask1

Special case
Hence the reusable boosters; all but the payload engine and framework were returned for reuse, the two first stage boosters had both been previously used. Ok the third unit didn't successfully land on the pontoon as it was supposed to but I'm sure they will be able to recover it and re-purpose it.

So that just leaves the fuel and the Dragon-X units use stock aviation fuel and densified liquid oxygen so not a whole lot more than a couple of 747's circling the globe...

You have to hand it to Tesla/Musk for an organisation that doesn't advertise, they got one heck of an advertisement around the world yesterday!

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Unfortunately the 'core' that failed to land on the pontoon impacted at 300 mph into the sea, so I doubt it can be reused once the bits have been recovered, if at all! Still a massive success though, I still can't believe they manage to vertically land the booster rockets. Not just fall vertically downwards and land, but travel back to X marks the spot. It's straight out of science fiction to me, now science fact!

safrane

Technical a great achievement.

But I genuinely feel that we have our priorities mixed up as a race.

Everyday I see begging advertising for food, water and shelter yet governments and now big business spend billions on space...surely we need to fix things here before we mess up the cosmos with old cars and rockets.

OK some technology may filter down to me (none stick pans etc).But I only see the corporate big wigs getting anything from this over the next 50 years.

Maybe instead of some over paid film star asking me for another £5:00 per month they and Mr Munsk can dip into their deap pockets and achieve somthing we have failed to deliver over the millennia.

Off my soap box now... and yes I know Gates has a foundation etc.

Contigo

Sponsor
27540939_10155079822678204_8618544138653518953_n.jpg

MrMickS

Technical a great achievement.

But I genuinely feel that we have our priorities mixed up as a race.

Everyday I see begging advertising for food, water and shelter yet governments and now big business spend billions on space...surely we need to fix things here before we mess up the cosmos with old cars and rockets.

OK some technology may filter down to me (none stick pans etc).But I only see the corporate big wigs getting anything from this over the next 50 years.

Maybe instead of some over paid film star asking me for another £5:00 per month they and Mr Munsk can dip into their deap pockets and achieve somthing we have failed to deliver over the millennia.

Off my soap box now... and yes I know Gates has a foundation etc.

Without satellites providing service we would find communication a lot harder around the world. We wouldn't have a lot of the detailed surveys that help to reveal the extent of issues and predict disasters.

If we are going to look at things on a merit basis then why should any of us have more than a basic car capable of traveling at up to the local speed limits and not beyond? We could donate the money that we save by doing this to helping those that can't help themselves.

I'm going to aim low and just hope that people pay what they owe and treat their fellow humans with dignity. I can't see that happened countrywide in the near future though.