Alarm Problem on my 4200

PaulCambio

Got back to my car after a few days away, and the battery was flat (it was a new battery a few months ago). Called the breakdown company, who came out and started it with a booster pack. The key won't unlock the doors or boot via the buttons, and I can't turn the alarm off. Apparently the key is giving out a signal, but it seems to have lost its pairing with the car. Any ideas?

CatmanV2

Thanks. I’ll take a look in the handbook. Can’t find it on here!

First do a battery reset (turn it off for 5 minutes)

If that doesn't work, try a double press of the lock / unlock button near the car which *should* work.

If not then there's a way to pair a key *if you have a working one* which I guess you don't...

C

PaulCambio

Tried the battery reset and also the 'double click' just now. Neither worked. Annoyingly, I can't find my spare key either! Any other advice?

CatmanV2

Tried the battery reset and also the 'double click' just now. Neither worked. Annoyingly, I can't find my spare key either! Any other advice?

Dealer. But they will probably need a spare key. Find that and there's a repairing process. Not entirely sure it'll help but it's got to be worth it.

Did you try the double click more than once by any chance?
Not sure how easy it is to do, if you get my point.
C

PaulCambio

Tried the double click lots of times. Can’t find the spare key! ****. I have got the black key with the single button on the side though. Any idea if that helps?

CatmanV2

Tried the double click lots of times. Can’t find the spare key! ****. I have got the black key with the single button on the side though. Any idea if that helps?

Does it open the doors on the remote? If so you can try.

If you arm and disarm the car repeatedly while sitting in it, you'll notice that the flashing pf the LED on the binnacle changes. When that happens, press the lock / unlock button on the faulty key, then on the original key.

Fingers crossed.

C

PaulCambio

What is really odd, is that the key with the single button on the side doesn't unlock the doors or boot. Neither does it start the car (won't turn in the ignition barrel). The key I have that suddenly stopped working is the two button type that has a boot release button as well as the lock/unlock button.

I've ordered some new batteries for the remotes just in case! Will let you know if that helps, but I suspect something more sinister is going on.

F456M

Interesting thread! No to hijack it, but since we are talking about all this, I have a question... My 2002 Coupe har one working blue key and one that does not work on the buttons, but will start the car (with the alarm screaming). I have no other keys to the car, and it is likely not to be obtained as it was imported to Sweden from Florida eiht years ago... Can I get the other key to work normally also?

Thanks for all input.

CatmanV2

You will have to order a new key from a Maserati dealer. They will require proof of ownership and identity.

When you get the new key, you will need to get it coded to the car to enable it to start. This needs to be done by a dealer.

To get it to open the doors, you usually need a working key!

In your situation I'd try:
1) New batteries in your existing key: *And make sure you don't lose that little piece of black plastic inside* It's the RIF transponder the car interrogates when you try to start.
2) Double press the lock / unlock button nice and close to the car. If they car and key have lost sequence, this will get them back in step.
3) Take it apart (carefully), and look at the buttons / switches on the circuit. Sometimes the rubber buttons fail to press the switches. Sometimes the switches break. All can be repaired.

If that gets you remotely opening / closing the door you can code a new key to do the same thing (but you'll still need to get a dealer to make the new key start the car)

No idea how you can make a new key lock and unlock without a working one. Maybe a dealer can do this as well, but they didn't when I got a new one.

C

F456M

You will have to order a new key from a Maserati dealer. They will require proof of ownership and identity.

When you get the new key, you will need to get it coded to the car to enable it to start. This needs to be done by a dealer.

To get it to open the doors, you usually need a working key!

In your situation I'd try:
1) New batteries in your existing key: *And make sure you don't lose that little piece of black plastic inside* It's the RIF transponder the car interrogates when you try to start.
2) Double press the lock / unlock button nice and close to the car. If they car and key have lost sequence, this will get them back in step.
3) Take it apart (carefully), and look at the buttons / switches on the circuit. Sometimes the rubber buttons fail to press the switches. Sometimes the switches break. All can be repaired.

If that gets you remotely opening / closing the door you can code a new key to do the same thing (but you'll still need to get a dealer to make the new key start the car)

No idea how you can make a new key lock and unlock without a working one. Maybe a dealer can do this as well, but they didn't when I got a new one.

C

Thanks a lot Catman. I will replace the battery and check again. I have one blue key that Works perfectly, and another blue key that only can open and close the car by inserting it into the door Lock, and even start the car.

CatmanV2

OK so if all the above fails, we can talk about using the the working blue key to pair the other key to the car :D

C

PaulCambio

The saga goes on! Replaced the batteries in both keys. It seems that the spare key I was given when I bought the car is not the right key for the car. The cut pattern on the key is totally different from the main key.

Anyway, when I went to the car today, the battery was totally flat again, so something is clearly draining it rapidly. I jump started it, and the alarm went off and kept doing so. The key won't disable it, so the pairing is lost.

Seems it will be a trip to Emblem again to sort it out.

maser_4200

The saga goes on! Replaced the batteries in both keys. It seems that the spare key I was given when I bought the car is not the right key for the car. The cut pattern on the key is totally different from the main key.

Anyway, when I went to the car today, the battery was totally flat again, so something is clearly draining it rapidly. I jump started it, and the alarm went off and kept doing so. The key won't disable it, so the pairing is lost.

Seems it will be a trip to Emblem again to sort it out.

Maybe tracker with old battery pack? This is a common 4200 issue. Cobra Navtrack can replace the unit.

Or your main battery is failing?

Or light remaining on in glovebox?

The above don't explain the alarm failure directly, but maybe the battery in the siren (or alarm module) is also failing or getting drained because of one (or more) of the above.

PaulCambio

Maybe tracker with old battery pack? This is a common 4200 issue. Cobra Navtrack can replace the unit.

Or your main battery is failing?

Or light remaining on in glovebox?

The above don't explain the alarm failure directly, but maybe the battery in the siren (or alarm module) is also failing or getting drained because of one (or more) of the above.

Thanks for the above. Not sure if my car has a Tracker fitted through? Wasn't told it did when I bought it, but then the previous owner might not have known either. It's a Jan 2003 car, so is it likely to have one?

2b1ask1

Special case
Thanks for the above. Not sure if my car has a Tracker fitted through? Wasn't told it did when I bought it, but then the previous owner might not have known either. It's a Jan 2003 car, so is it likely to have one?

Paul, open the boot, remove the access panel on the left side of the boot, stick your hand in and up toward the wheel arch, my 4200 had the tracker battery originally taped to the arch but the sticky had given up long before my tenure and it was simply dangling from the cables in there! It is a gel/sealed battery about 200 x 120 x 60mm. I believe most of them were fitted with NAV-TRAC units when new in the UK, some had a fob, others didn't.

As others have said, they will come out and service/remove it for you now.