Keyless go, keyless gone more like!

sionie1

Apparently one other piece of advice was to keep your keys in the fridge. You can purchase beer cans that have a screw top for this exact use, as well as cash.

TridentTested

My sister and her partner put their car keys in something called a faraday bag for this reason. I laughed when I originally saw them hanging up, (as my car was being driven off by a nerd with a laptop). But seriously, seems like they have a purpose afterall.

One of my business contacts gave me a https://secrid.com/en for Christmas. It's designed to protect your RFID bank cards from similar scanning.

CatmanV2

I wonder would admitting this sequence of events to his insurance company give them wriggle room on his duty to keep the key out of a thief's reach?

I'd have thought that locking the key inside the house would count as sufficient care, personally. Pretty sure a court would support him that it would be reasonable to expect Mercedes to actually need the key to get the car to start :)

C

Phil B

I would like to prevent a laptop carrying thief sending a signal to my key and then relaying the response to the car.

I'm therefore testing it by keeping the key in a little leather wallet lined with kitchen foil to stop the car & key "talking" to each other, and only taking it out when I'm next to the car.

If it works - or not - I'll post the results.

Scaf

I have been trying a few tings with my keyless Jaguar.
What I have found is that even though the car will open if I get close enough (the whole point) it wont start if the key is outside the car or even in the back seat, I just get a message "key not found".
on this basis the signal they bounce to the car must be much more powerful than the key itself.

My B i Law has a new(ish) BMW series 3 and he read in the local rag that a safe place to keep car keys was in the microwave oven because it is hermet err sealed. This scenario did not take into consideration his wife.
I think you can guess what happened

Zep

My company car has keyless go but you have to press the button to open it. Or use the phone app if you have a lot of time on your hands. The bit that really grinds my gears is that there is no slot for the key while driving so I have to keep the keys in the cupholder. Quite why I need to be able to unlock the car from 300 miles away with the app is beyond me, although the locking function is useful if you walk away from the car and have a "did I lock it" moment.

Part of me wishes someone would steal it so I can lock and unlock it on them while they try and strip it for parts :)

CatmanV2

Can't you just leave the key in your pocket? That's what I did with the A8 I had a loaner.

C

Zep

Can't you just leave the key in your pocket? That's what I did with the A8 I had a loaner.

C

And anyway, I have reached that point in life where I reserve to right to be curmudgeonly about how things were better in to 90s and change is bad. ;)

alfatwo

And anyway, I have reached that point in life where I reserve to right to be curmudgeonly about how things were better in to 90s and change is bad. ;)

That's what I said to Mike but he wasn't having it.. as he or his company has most probably just bought new Merc :shh:

Dave

MrMickS

I have been trying a few tings with my keyless Jaguar.
What I have found is that even though the car will open if I get close enough (the whole point) it wont start if the key is outside the car or even in the back seat, I just get a message "key not found".
on this basis the signal they bounce to the car must be much more powerful than the key itself.

The technique relays from the laptop to a device in the hands of the guy by the car. Once the car is open and he is inside the device is in the car so the car has no problem with seeing it there and starts.

CatmanV2

Yes - but its a bunch of keys so a bit of a pain in the pocket on long journeys.

Ahh you're one of those weirdos that hasn't worked out you really don't need to carry all your kesy on one bunch. That makes sense. As a question, what would you do with the rest of the keys if there was as slot? Leave them dangling? ;)

Bloody ****. You're a bit young to be a GOM aren't you? :D

C

rockits

Many of the guys on the Merc forum either use the Faraday bags or you can disable the keyless go feature on the Merc by pressing the lock button twice or something similar.

Personally I had it on the XJ & the E55K but I prefer it without. Less to go wrong & I have no problem using a key in the conventional way. For me Keyless go has more downsides than upsides. The XJ was hilarious as you could be in the car, start it, then get out and walk off. The car would stay unlocked & running regardless of the fact you have walked out of the zone & might be a mile away.

The Merc Keyless go handles on the E55K & other similar gen Mercs always failed as the seals broke down allowing moisture in. The handle then fails to work. They are circa 125 quid each for an unpainted replacement handle.

Tech that is not worth it IMHO. The R129 is quite good as similar Mercs of that age were Infra Red key remotes so a little more secure than radio by their nature.