Blasted key!

Ebenezer

Gents
The blade on my key has stopped being able to fold back into the case. I can push the button but it no longer seems to release the internal catch allowing the blade to be pushed shut.

Any ideas? - not really excited about the prospect of pulling it apart

Eb

Ebenezer

I suspected that I'd need to crack the think open. I do have the spare key as a back up but it has lost it's retractable loop thingy which I use to clip the AA lost key whatjamacallit on to.

I'll have a search for the thread on how to change the case over. Might have some pics of the innards
Eb

Wanderer

I see that the correct name for the "retractable loop thingy" is "metal key-ring sticky-out bit" (according to MarkMas!)
No pics of the actual mechanism though.

I looking forward to Wanderers how to... http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/25424-Key-Fob
Eb

I shall do it when I get my other, other, other replacement fob, two blades ruined by the other, other key cutter so I've none left.

Cost me $30 so far, I'm fuming...

Good news is first attempt as I described is working fine, nothing has broken or come off, and I have the added benefit of the extra 50bhp the new adds as we all know...

Keano

I have had a positive experience with a key i got from China - https://www.tomtop.com/p-k4227.html and also learnt a neat trick from the locksmith which i think we will all appreciate. When we buy a replacement key we need to swop the electronics and the glass transponder but it is also possible to re-use the cut part of the original blade and avoid getting a key cut. See attached picture - there is a pin that you pop out (similar concept to a watch strap link) and then you can insert the original Maserati blade into the new key. There was some filing to get it done but at $13 for the key and £5 for the locksmith to move the blade the job is done.

I paid express and bought 3 of them.

keano

Maserati Key Tomtop.jpg

Mattp

Thread revival! But does the new case come with the Logo or does that need to be swapped over too?

Wanderer

Thread revival! But does the new case come with the Logo or does that need to be swapped over too?

Swapped over. Might as well since there's a trick screw under it to help you destroy it if you are not in the know....

Blast it with a hair dryer or borrow wife's/daughter's if you've gone bald and the glue will go sticky and you can easily prise it off.

Wanderer

I've got a mate with a 3D printer, might ask him to replicate it if he has the tech, the original shell I mean, the replacement while functional, is a bit, well, Chinese tacky copy, rubber clickers don't feel as nice and battery holder screw does seem to pop out a lot and the metal key ring clip slips under it and is not easy to extract....

Does look good though, but it's only cos it's shinier.....

Mattp

Swapped over. Might as well since there's a trick screw under it to help you destroy it if you are not in the know....

Blast it with a hair dryer or borrow wife's/daughter's if you've gone bald and the glue will go sticky and you can easily prise it off.

Thanks, handy to know, but also a Shame - my Logo looks like it's from a 10 year old key!

Bladerunner

Any further successes on changing your key fobs?

The metal key ring bit has come out of both my master and spare keys...
Guess therefore no alternative but to buy a couple of the Chinese replacements.

I’m sure I saw someone wrapping keys with a carbon fibre finish which looked cool!

j s pollo

Take a look on Ali.express type in their search box Maserati key fob they supply plenty of Maserati key fobs cases and blades its a china supplier and their prices are very cheap.