Anyone know this Granturismo in North Yorks?

D Walker

Don't know it, but any GT( early) you really need up on ramps to check sub frames and from what i'm hearing they are rusting from inside out.....

allandwf

MOT history checks out not bad, though it has an advisory for an oil leak. Last owner looks to have only kept it a year, but that may be no bad thing.

agooner

Ok thanks. I've seen threads on the 4200/GS and Quattroporto sub frames; but not seen anything about the early GT.

CatmanV2

The heat shields are made of tissue, but they are also about 15p each. Certainly no issues with rust on mine.

C

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I didn't have any issues with rust on my 2008 car. The big thing will be the variators which probably won't have become an issue on a car with this mileage as yet.

Price looks reasonable but buying privately carries more risk of course with the lack of warranty/come back.

Andyk

Don't know it, but any GT( early) you really need up on ramps to check sub frames and from what i'm hearing they are rusting from inside out.....

I really thought Maserati had got the quality and issues sorted with the GT but the more I read on here and now the cars are getting older I fear they haven't. That looks a lovely car though...love the colour combination and it has low miles but have a look at the other thread which has a QP GTS for sale at the same money and you get the 4.7 engine in that car. Think I would be aiming for that one.

CatmanV2

Out of curiosity, what mileage could variators become an issue?

<waves hands vaguely>

Pretty much any, IMHO. In this I'd probably not agree with the Honorable Doohickey of Leeds ;) I'd not be buying a car of that vintage without either having a war chest for the variators, or evidence that it's been done.

C

Vampyrebat

A very impersonal description IMO, mentions all the specification but nothing about the condition/how well it drives/history/what they have had done/what a joy it has been to own etc etc. Just very generic!
But yes, it looks great in that colour combo. I would certainly have one as my next car if they came with a manual box!!

FF1078

That car does look cheap. I'd give them a call and weigh it up from there. It maybe a dealer trying to get rid privately if it's been stuck on their forecourt too long.

<waves hands vaguely>

Pretty much any, IMHO. In this I'd probably not agree with the Honorable Doohickey of Leeds ;) I'd not be buying a car of that vintage without either having a war chest for the variators, or evidence that it's been done.

C

Yes agreed. My variators were replaced around 40 000 miles but I have heard tales of 35 000 too

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Yes agreed. My variators were replaced around 40 000 miles but I have heard tales of 35 000 too

Mine started about 45,000. There is another fix which is something to do with the solenoid (can't say I understood the description!) which isn't as expensive but I understand is likely to be temporary.

GeoffCapes

I spoke to Matthew at Giallo a while back about this, and he's known cars with 80k+ not to have any issues with Variators, yet he's seen them go at less than 15k.

Pot luck I'd say.

bigbob

I spoke to Matthew at Giallo a while back about this, and he's known cars with 80k+ not to have any issues with Variators, yet he's seen them go at less than 15k.

Pot luck I'd say.

I know that engine numbers and the like have been covered before and most cars after approx 2010 are ok but do we have any idea what percentage of potentially affected cars actually have been? Forums generally are very good at over estimating problems. Is the hit rate 5% or 50% as I have no idea?

GeoffCapes

Good question. One for the main dealers and indies to answer.

Although you hear about it being a potential issue, you don't hear about it being fixed that often. If it were such a big problem you would imagine that main dealers and indies would be doing 2 or 3 a week.
And I just don't think that is the case.

bigbob

I agree with the logic and wonder whether the collective is unnecessarily putting people off cars where the risk is quite small?

GeoffCapes

I agree with the logic and wonder whether the collective is unnecessarily putting people off cars where the risk is quite small?

Potentially, although the risk could be quite small, the financial cost for the work isn't (£3k).

Doohickey

Velociraptor
Presumably part of it is the cost of the fix v the level of the problem. Whilst it's annoying, it's a problem that gradually gets worse so mine was only doing it on start from very cold when it had been stood for a while and I could have lived with it. I don't think it damages the engine (until it gets much worse) so perhaps people are just putting up with it rather than fork out c. £4K for the proper fix.