Condensation in boot

jemgee

Twice in the last 6 months I have found water in the boot well. The main rubber boot seal appears fine although I have not yet checked if it seals 100% against the bootlid. At first I thought it was possibly somehow water tracking under the black perimeter trim however I lifted them, cleaned the **** of 11 years off but there did not seem any ingress through the body seam joint to the rear wing. I then used Capt Tolleys creeping crack cure (used before on leaking boat window seals) around the boot bolts, hinges and the cable seal. I also ran it around the rear window seal for good measure.

I took the battery panel off (which was damp) and found a few drops of water lying on top of the battery, but then found water lying in the battery tray. Pushing my fingers between the liner upstand and the battery tray I found the thick sound insulation wet through.

Getting my hand above the battery I found the inside of the rear wing completely coverd in condensation which I think could be the source. The near side wing accessed through the rear light panel is also covered in condensation. I had also noticed condensation dripping off the rear edge of the boot lid. Lifting the liner panel away shows condensation for about 4".

I have decided to use some self adhesive foil bubble insulation to line the boot lid but am struggling to think of any way to insulate the inside of the rear wings with such difficult access. I wondered whether a Waxoil aerosol or even Shutz underseal spray would help.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a remedy?

montravia

Almost exactly the same.

Water ingress from underneath.

The seal between the lower pan and battery compartment perishes. Needs drying and sealant.
Not sure if it's best to take off the lower pan as MD did the job while in for other work.

Quite common