FCA rules out Jeep sale. Alfa renaissance crucial to Maserati credibility??

MrMickS

Interesting article on Autocar, Marchionne dismisses talk of selling Jeep, and has this interesting quote..

He added that the success of Alfa Romeo’s renaissance, which he said remained in the “nursery” phase, was crucial to the technical credibility of Maserati going forward.

I suppose he means funding for it?

Full article here...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-detroit-motor-show/fiat-rules-out-jeep-sale

Funding and platform sharing I think. The rumoured new smaller SUV is supposedly being built on the Giulia/Stelvio platform. It also makes sense that if there are going to be hybrid/electric/fuel cell versions of cars in the future that there is some component sharing there.

P R

Another interview on Quattroruote.it has more flesh on it. He says that a smaller Levante and larger Stelvio are the priority. He mentioned that the Giulia is a brilliant car yet there is far more interest in the Stelvio. He also says that they will comply with regulators re emissions rather than drive towards electric (he rightly points out no one has yet made any profit from electric cars)

conaero

Forum Owner
That works in the Edit section and even after saving does not alter it?

I think its a cache issue, think the server dumps it each night but yes I see your issue.

Ill force clear it now...

MrMickS

Another interview on Quattroruote.it has more flesh on it. He says that a smaller Levante and larger Stelvio are the priority. He mentioned that the Giulia is a brilliant car yet there is far more interest in the Stelvio. He also says that they will comply with regulators re emissions rather than drive towards electric (he rightly points out no one has yet made any profit from electric cars)

The problem I see is that regulators will push towards zero emissions, especially in the EU, for private vehicles as soon as the supply is sufficient to do so. We are only 7 years away from the ban in Norway. If that's a success expect an EU directive not long afterwards. We won't be in the EU then but if the manufacturers are primarily producing electric cars the ICE powered ones will suffer from the same issues price wise that electric ones do now.

The smaller SUV doesn't make any sense to me. It pushes Maserati further down market unless they are going to increase the base price on the Levante and price the smaller one at the current prices. If it were to come in at say the difference between Ghibli and QP pricing below the current Levante prices then you might be able to buy a Maserati for less money than a decent Stelvio. That doesn't seem right.

Navcorr

I fully expect Norway to make a success of their plans. A small (5 million? -ish), socially aware, population with a relatively small road network (approx. 25% that of the UK) together with an abundant supply of clean & cheap hydroelectricity. Whereas the EU have numerous automotive lobbying groups to contend with along with altogether different generation and distribution issues. The capacity and infrastructure doesn't exist and, imho, will not be in place in twenty years let alone 10. Simply too extensive and too expensive. Agreed the EU will most likely issue a directive but I wouldn't bank on them implementing a ban anytime soon after Norway. Not across the entire EU27 at least.

Jnismith

Interesting article on Autocar, Marchionne dismisses talk of selling Jeep, and has this interesting quote..

He added that the success of Alfa Romeo’s renaissance, which he said remained in the “nursery” phase, was crucial to the technical credibility of Maserati going forward.

I suppose he means funding for it?

Full article here...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-detroit-motor-show/fiat-rules-out-jeep-sale

I dont think he means funding, more like using and Alfa platform as a base for a Maserati. Could even mean sharing engines.

P R

I dont think he means funding, more like using and Alfa platform as a base for a Maserati. Could even mean sharing engines.

I know people have issues with platform sharing, particularly with "lower" marques in the same group (Alfa suffered from this perception for years with the 156/147). However, by all accounts the Giorgio platform is the best out there, as is the engine in the Giulia Quad. I'd have no issues with the same platform being used on Maseratis.

Jnismith

I have no issue either, though Lancia suffered by not being distinct enough from Fiat. Looking back, Maserati have shared technology before with Citroen and de Tomaso. As long as they end up with decent cars, I’ll be happy.

conaero

Forum Owner
Me neither with the Giorgio platform and engine share it’s proven and excellent and Ferrari designed.

Where the Alfa falls down is the styling (for me) and interior quality...something Maserati excel at. Get that right and you have a winner winner chicken dinner!

P R

Me neither with the Giorgio platform and engine share it’s proven and excellent and Ferrari designed.

Where the Alfa falls down is the styling (for me) and interior quality...something Maserati excel at. Get that right and you have a winner winner chicken dinner!

Spot on. I have often wondered if they'd dip into the D segment cars with a 3 series / Giulia rival.. maybe a bit small for Maserati?

zagatoes30

Dipping into the parts bin has always been a industry special, Astons with Ford switch gear and keys comes to mind.

bigbob

Ultimately they will have to decouple selling Maserati alongside Ferrari as it makes no sense, certainly as the average price point of the latter is four times that of the former.

To sell more Alfas' in the UK they need to sort out the dealer network. In Scotland we only have two (Glasgow and Inverness) which does not really work for much of the country.

MrMickS

Ultimately they will have to decouple selling Maserati alongside Ferrari as it makes no sense, certainly as the average price point of the latter is four times that of the former.

To sell more Alfas' in the UK they need to sort out the dealer network. In Scotland we only have two (Glasgow and Inverness) which does not really work for much of the country.

There are Alfa dealers around here that I wouldn't trust to service my Alfa's, there's no way I'd want them anywhere near a Maserati. In the US Alfa are in with Maserati but I think that's because they are re-introducing Alfa and want to push it as a cheaper cousin to Maserati. I can't see them splitting Maserati and Ferrari in the UK for many years.

conaero

Forum Owner
Rumours are Mick that one of the main Maserati/Ferrari agents are considering dropping Maserati due to the lack of takeup on the new models as promised by the factory.

It’s from a very solid source.