My new garage and home office.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
There’s a guy in America who has done this, he’s got about 20 Ferrari’s in it, looks epic.
From the outside it just looks like a a bit old farm.
drive into the barn and it’s like the CGI clip you posted.

I can only imagine the cost. I'm no engineer, but it must be at least 10x the cost of building something above ground.

Of all my mooching around on Rightmove lately, I'm always drawn to the places with a small barn. Trouble is, finding one of those that isn't in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere is a challenge. I reckon that until Athol starts building his supervillain lair beneath Outrun Towers, he's probably got the man cave in pretty reasonable shape. Apart from the bit where he needs to do work. That's an unfortunate necessity.

Oneball

I can only imagine the cost. I'm no engineer, but it must be at least 10x the cost of building something above ground.

Of all my mooching around on Rightmove lately, I'm always drawn to the places with a small barn. Trouble is, finding one of those that isn't in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere is a challenge. I reckon that until Athol starts building his supervillain lair beneath Outrun Towers, he's probably got the man cave in pretty reasonable shape. Apart from the bit where he needs to do work. That's an unfortunate necessity.

The place my folks used to live in had a garage you could probably get six cars in with a workshop above. But as you say bumblefuck nowhere. There was a petrol station a few miles away but they had indeterminate opening hours. You had to plan how much fuel you’d got before visiting. They’ve now moved to somewhere slightly easier to get to, but still “away from the hustle and bustle”, bumblepants nowhere , ‘road’ to their’s:

Scaf

Looks great Athol ......... one day I hope to have the space / time and money.

Like others I am constantly on Rightmove but I have no chance in Hertfordshire unless I win the lottery, the Surrey Hills does offer some options, but all in the middle of know where - I am going to have to find an additional 750k to get what I want o_O

philw696

Yeah me too loving that especially climate controlled the only negative no natural light.
You can certainly find places here in France chaps and be close to a Iconic Race Circuit.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great Athol ......... one day I hope to have the space / time and money.

Like others I am constantly on Rightmove but I have no chance in Hertfordshire unless I win the lottery, the Surrey Hills does offer some options, but all in the middle of know where - I am going to have to find an additional 750k to get what I want o_O

Head across the border from NE Essex into Suffolk or, in fact, anywhere without a mainline train station and you can get a wonderful place for 'sensible' spend, with outbuildings (not to be confused with 'without buildings', which would be less cosy in winter), too much land and probably stables that I have no interest in but could easily be turned into garaging. It's that middle of nowhere thing again, though. I'm all for a bit of peace and quiet, but miles to the nearest native settlement and pit stop is less of an attractive prospect.

Mind you, all that storage space...

2b1ask1

Special case
Historically my family on both sides came into east London from around the Danbury area (chasing work in the 19th century) apart from my mother's paternal side that originated from Dresden. It is ironic that I have always hankered for an Essex weatherboarded house, long before I knew these details, I desired this. We will in a couple of years be in a position to move out.

I have been idling away hours and days looking on various property sites at Danbury + 5 or 10 miles and it is staggering how much more you get for your £ over Romford/east London. Hatfield Peverel has a Liverpool mainline station making trips to London easy so it looks like a favourite ATM. Just need to find a suitable pad with space for multiple outbuildings or with existing a bit like Phil's found in France or a smaller property and a village former petrol garage/car garage conveniently up for sale at the same time!

In the meantime I've got new motors arriving for the post lift so at least I'll be getting it working properly in the existing man cave.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Historically my family on both sides came into east London from around the Danbury area (chasing work in the 19th century) apart from my mother's paternal side that originated from Dresden. It is ironic that I have always hankered for an Essex weatherboarded house, long before I knew these details, I desired this. We will in a couple of years be in a position to move out.

I have been idling away hours and days looking on various property sites at Danbury + 5 or 10 miles and it is staggering how much more you get for your £ over Romford/east London. Hatfield Peverel has a Liverpool mainline station making trips to London easy so it looks like a favourite ATM. Just need to find a suitable pad with space for multiple outbuildings or with existing a bit like Phil's found in France or a smaller property and a village former petrol garage/car garage conveniently up for sale at the same time!

In the meantime I've got new motors arriving for the post lift so at least I'll be getting it working properly in the existing man cave.

There are loads of places around Chelmsford that are well-priced, Newton, and Danbury is nice for sure. Baddow is pretty good, too. Avoid Stock, which is far too pleased with itself and overpriced.

PS - you'll save enough on your insurance to fund the move. :)

2b1ask1

Special case
Andy, is it like here that timber buildings are considered 'temporary' and therefore not requiring permission?

2b1ask1

Special case
There are loads of places around Chelmsford that are well-priced, Newton, and Danbury is nice for sure. Baddow is pretty good, too. Avoid Stock, which is far too pleased with itself and overpriced.

I'm well aware of Stock mate, always has been! Bit like Tolleshunt D'Arcy and the 'Easters' over the other side!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm well aware of Stock mate, always has been! Bit like Tolleshunt D'Arcy and the 'Easters' over the other side!

Yeah, very true! The Easters are nice, but you pay for being that bit closer to town. What about the Hedinghams and the Colnes? It's a schlep to a station, but refected in what you pay.

zagatoes30

Andy, is it like here that timber buildings are considered 'temporary' and therefore not requiring permission?

No but there is a big "single" garage and it maybe we can "extend" (read knock down and rebuild bigger) and because it is at the back of the property planning may not be required.

Scaf

Head across the border from NE Essex into Suffolk or, in fact, anywhere without a mainline train station and you can get a wonderful place for 'sensible' spend, with outbuildings (not to be confused with 'without buildings', which would be less cosy in winter), too much land and probably stables that I have no interest in but could easily be turned into garaging. It's that middle of nowhere thing again, though. I'm all for a bit of peace and quiet, but miles to the nearest native settlement and pit stop is less of an attractive prospect.

Mind you, all that storage space...
I will struggle to get my wife out of our home town as we have practical ties such as her parents, let alone to the wilds of the East. I think if we went further out it would be North Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire or such like............

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I will struggle to get my wife out of our home town as we have practical ties such as her parents, let alone to the wilds of the East. I think if we went further out it would be North Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire or such like............

That's the trouble. As the parents start to creak it gets harder to bugger off anywhere too far.