Cambiocorsa

Navcorr

Keep finding myself looking at this too - very nice colour combo.
My eye gets drawn to the rear bumper though. Does the offside look straight or is this just being too fussy? Do we know if this is going to have US spec manifolds?

Will be interesting to hear what you find.

Keep finding myself looking at this too - very nice colour combo.
My eye gets drawn to the rear bumper though. Does the offside look straight or is this just being too fussy? Do we know if this is going to have US spec manifolds?

Will be interesting to hear what you find.

I doubt if this dealer will know about US spec manifolds. I have spoken to them before about a different car (Nissan Figaro believe it or not). All they seem to do is procure a car in Japan and ship it over to UK.
My 'worry' is the auto box - not sure how this works.............................

F456M

I doubt if this dealer will know about US spec manifolds. I have spoken to them before about a different car (Nissan Figaro believe it or not). All they seem to do is procure a car in Japan and ship it over to UK.
My 'worry' is the auto box - not sure how this works.............................

Well it is a manual transmission, with an automatic clutch and shifter. Very nice for cruising around town. Now with so much scrapped cars, parts are cheap!

midlifecrisis

Well it is a manual transmission, with an automatic clutch and shifter. Very nice for cruising around town. Now with so much scrapped cars, parts are cheap!

I'd say you're half right, the gearbox is great. No need for a floor lever just keep your hands on the wheel and change gear effortlessly, as for cheap...depends what you are comparing it too but many parts are common with Alfa Romeo's selespeed gearboxes.

Ewan

Dave - it's the same gearbox system as the Strad and GS that you bid on. A manual gearbox, but with no clutch pedal and gear changes by paddle as opposed to a stick. But it's an older system, so not as quick or smooth.

But it's nowhere near the car that the Strad is, nor the GS we discussed, so I find it a little odd that you consider this after thinking if those other two cars. If your budget is approx £60k, buy the Strad. If it's approx £40k, buy the GS. I can't see why you'd buy this car over either of those, as the standard cambiocorsa Spyder is arguably the most flawed Maser of the last (approx) 20 years.

You see, there are so few Maseratis that crop up in my area (the poor grim norf) that when one does come up it would be an opportunity not to be missed.
A full auto box is very high on my list should I be in the market - in fact it is a must, hence my QPV with the ZF.
I also have this 'old man in a sports car' syndrome, but as I say I will have a look at it today - out of interest.
Thanks for the explanation of the gearbox system.
I have had the QP a few years now (with absolutely no complaints) and it will be getting serviced & MOT very soon, so is it a keeper or do I move on. Decisions decisions........................

F456M

You see, there are so few Maseratis that crop up in my area (the poor grim norf) that when one does come up it would be an opportunity not to be missed.
A full auto box is very high on my list should I be in the market - in fact it is a must, hence my QPV with the ZF.
I also have this 'old man in a sports car' syndrome, but as I say I will have a look at it today - out of interest.
Thanks for the explanation of the gearbox system.
I have had the QP a few years now (with absolutely no complaints) and it will be getting serviced & MOT very soon, so is it a keeper or do I move on. Decisions decisions........................

Two cars of the same brand, but aimed at different use. I would say, og for the both of them :)

Navcorr

Never having driven a CC in auto "mode" I can't comment first hand - everything I read though indicates the auto function is sluggish at best.
Does the FD-DBW module work when in auto mode? Don't know.
Why choose a Spyder Classico over the other two mentioned - they are far far far prettier imho. Although the GS (if it's the one recently discussed) is something else.
As for flaws is the Strad not a flawed concept? Trying too hard to be something it can't be - I simply don't get the notion of compromising comforts in pursuit of non existent racing credentials.

GeoffCapes

Never having driven a CC in auto "mode" I can't comment first hand - everything I read though indicates the auto function is sluggish at best.
Does the FD-DBW module work when in auto mode? Don't know.

In auto mode it is rubbish! Which is why I only drove my 4200 in it once. For about half a mile (if that). Truly appalling.

F456M

I drive my 2003 Coupe Cambiocorsa in AUTO mode 90% of the time. You get used to it and if you let the car do its own thing, it is pretty smooth. The good thing is that in a slight downhill when you want the engine to break, you just flip the Down paddle, and the engine revs rise and slows the car Down. Thegood thing here is that when you press the accellerator, it changes gir automaticly, so it does not og out of auto even if you touch the paddles. My BMW SMG With quite a similar system is either in auto or in manual, so if you drive in auto and flip the Down paddle then it goes to manual, and you have to put the shift stick into auto again. Quite impractcal...

hashluck

Auto mode in my GS is pretty good. Paddles are best but if you just want to pootle around without thinking too much then auto works fine. Also note even in manual mode the car will downshift automatically if you don't bother which is a nice halfway house.

Distance shouldn't be a problem if it's the right car, The steam train to Leeds might be a bit slow but once you reach civilisation everything speeds up :D

You are right of course, but by 'my area' I meant 10 or 20 miles (and there are a couple of different models available), but have you seen Redcar? If not you are lucky!
Anyway back to the viewing.
I got to the garage ok and the car was up on ramps - rear wheels only, so I viewed the underneath and it was really good. They will do a waxoyl type of protection if you wish for free. The interior was surprisingly nice and comfortable ( I am quite tall - but this was not an issue). The exterior was in good condition too.
The proprietor was unavailable ( I just went because I was in the area) so a test drive was not possible. The engine though started first time and ran smoothly. A few blips on the throttle and it sounded good. So to my untrained eye (and ears) it seemed an honest car.
The garage really are only interested in importing from Japan which is fair enough.
Would I buy it?
Well for me no because I would want a full auto and the 'old man in a sports car' bit
Would I recommend it?
Well I would go as far to say if you are interested it is worth travelling to check it out yourself or paying someone else to do a proper check.
I got the impression they would not budge on price, so you would need to research whether you think it has value for money.
All just my opinion don't you know!

spkennyuk

You can drive in auto only or auto and sport mode. The auto and sport mode together quicken up the gear changes.

The other facility you have on the later facelift cars at least is the ability to over ride the gear change on the up shift and down shift and still remain in auto mode. So if you down shift to over take and then change up again once you have completed the overtake it will still carry on in auto mode.