Not Maserati but DB11

Scaf

So in the spring I may, just may, contemplate a move to a DB11.

Anyone have any real life experience between the V8 twin turbo and the V12 ?

I already know that neither will sound as good as the GTS

JonW

This doesn’t really help, but I have a good friend who has, and really loves, his V12 DB11. It also looks the dogs danglies...

Ewan

I don't own either of these, but did drive both versions when invited to an Aston day a couple of months ago. Dynamically and logically the V8 is the one to have - faster, lighter, more sporty, and cheaper. The only reason one might go for the V12 is for the pure romance of having a hand built V12 Aston engine instead of a German AMG job. But that might well be reason enough.

One more thing though. When I drove away in my GTS MC-Shift, the Maser sounded better than either AM.

alfatwo

I don't own either of these, but did drive both versions when invited to an Aston day a couple of months ago. Dynamically and logically the V8 is the one to have - faster, lighter, more sporty, and cheaper. The only reason one might go for the V12 is for the pure romance of having a hand built V12 Aston engine instead of a German AMG job. But that might well be reason enough.

One more thing though. When I drove away in my GTS MC-Shift, the Maser sounded better than either AM.

Her indoors mentioned Astons the other day when we were passing Gaydon

She said, why would anyone buy a Merc with a plastic body made in Warwickshire when for nearly the same money you could buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante!

I just smiled :smile:

Dave

Andyk

Not much sounds as good as a Maserati but how was it to drive......Sound is just one part of the experience. The DB1 is one Aston ive not been in or driven. A chap locally had a GTS MC shift...Number plate 12 MC I believe sold it for a Vanquish and now has a DB11. Had a chat to him on his driveway while looking around the car...He said he loved his Maserati for the sound and it was an event but he would never go back after having the two Astons. He said they were in a different league in performance and quality. He has a V12. I would get out a drive both but from the reviews you probably will not feel short changed in the V8.

Andyk

Her indoors mentioned Astons the other day when we were passing Gaydon

She said, why would anyone buy a Merc with a plastic body made in Warwickshire when for nearly the same money you could buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante!

I just smiled :smile:

Dave

If you can find a Huracan Performante for the same price as a New DB11 I'd buy it Dave....bloody bargain......210k against 157k......and 2nd hand you'll need to find 260k for a used Performante....Suppose the Aston and Lambo are very different as well...Sports car against a GT and suppose most who has the Performante would have a DB11/Vanquish as well.

Scaf

I have no desire to own a Lambo - wonderful cars that they are, just not for me.

I am still struggling in my head to justify 100k to step up from the GTS into a DB11, but will test drive a few cars and see what prices are like in the spring.
Its the drama of the V12 that particularly appeals, I had a V12 DB7 with sports exhaust - glorious :laughing:

Andyk

One of the all time great engines for sure Scaf........Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you test drive.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The reviews of the DB11 are great, but have a snout round a Vanquish. The S just sounds sublime and is a beautiful place to be. As is the non-S, by the way. Although the DB11 is made of far newer hits of technology, I personally much prefer the look of the Vanquish.

My next car will most likely be a V12 Vantage S, to indulge my inner hooligan. With a tweaked exhaust the noise is a riot. It’s pretty bloody good with the standard exhaust, come to think of it.

GeoffCapes

I'd go Vanquish over DB11. For me the DB11 is one of the ugliest cars to roll out of the AM factory in years.
What were they thinking with the front wings???

Scaf

The Vanquish could well be a good option to consider as apart from anything else most, if not all of the depreciation will taken place already.
As for the DB11 being the ugly duckling of AM, beauty is in the eye of the beholder........... well that what people say to me when they meet my wife :frusty5:

Caldy999

The Vanquish could well be a good option to consider as apart from anything else most, if not all of the depreciation will taken place already.
As for the DB11 being the ugly duckling of AM, beauty is in the eye of the beholder........... well that what people say to me when they meet my wife :frusty5:

.......stop digging whilst you still can

outrun

Not much sounds as good as a Maserati but how was it to drive......Sound is just one part of the experience.

No, it's the only part of the experience. Without the sound, none of us would be taken by our marque. Without the sound they are nice looking but dynamically flawed machines. Have you got shares in Aston Martin, Andy?

My mate has a DB11 and thinks it's not as good as the 458 he chopped in for it but he feels less ostentatious. For me, it's an unresolved design with too much detail. I'd have a DBS over it or a Vanquish S.

Needamaser

My next car will most likely be a V12 Vantage S, to indulge my inner hooligan. With a tweaked exhaust the noise is a riot. It’s pretty bloody good with the standard exhaust, come to think of it.

Agreed. V8 Vantage was what I started looking at but sometimes 8 cylinders is just not enough and went for 12.
Had my car 8 months now and just love it. Pulled the fuse and car is just about loud enough with valves open all the time for me. Was planning keeping her for another year but must confess Invite from dealer this week to look at new models and an email asking to buy back my car has got me thinking of the V12 Vantage as well.