Car SOS

Zep

Out of all Jags, I love an XJC. Probably because of the Broadspeed racers looking so awesome even if they barely finished a race!

Eddie

Sponsor
Haha! Sills and bodywork were consumables, speedos didn't go past 99k. Remember it well. Maybe I should write a book, the days when you couldn't give a Maserati 3500 away, I didn't buy a Dino 246 for £8500, and worse still, didn't buy a ropy Muira for £5500!!!

been there. I sold a F308 carb 22 years ago for £9k. It was a bit of a dog, however. Or perhaps the 190 cossie EVO that got sold for a princely £6k. Ah well......

philw696

I'm a regular watcher of Harry's Garage Mike and do like his V12 XJC would be nice to have for starters his Garage and Bank Balance oh and the house looks nice too.
The trip he did to the South of France in the XJS is a Good one.
This is a nice project to get a few of you Dribbling :)FB_IMG_1515041155945.jpg

Zep

I'm a regular watcher of Harry's Garage Mike and do like his V12 XJC would be nice to have for starters his Garage and Bank Balance oh and the house looks nice too.
This is a nice project to get a few of you Dribbling :)View attachment 46759

Now there is a nice piece. Hopefully they'll put a few more baffles in the sump

Lozzer

This is a nice project to get a few of you Dribbling :)View attachment 46759

The Big Cat's, one of my all time favourite's, along with the odd 917 :happy:

rossyl

On this, I can recommend a book written by a user of a Lotus forum I frequent.
Lots of pictures and a little story about him and the cars he owned between 65 and 85 and how much he paid then, and what they are worth now.
The book is called Let Them Stare, and proceeds go to charity:
https://www.letthemstare.co.uk/

I haven't read the 2nd book yet so can't comment on what it's like, but the first, I thoroughly enjoyed. I suspect the 2nd book doesn't fit so well into the world of "they were considered as just old cars at the time" though.

I bought that book and was disappointed.

Some of the stories about cars were great. The majority of stories were about his attempts to cheat on his wife and then boast about it. Bit odd.

rossyl

This doesn't surprise me, I have heard of other similar comments but another perspective the cars are normally in a much better position than when they started. If someone restored a car of mine for free and then I had to revisit 30% of it I would still up on the deal.

I agree

In my view this is car restoration for those who cannot afford it. It's therefore done for free. If the car is better than it started off, and you paid nothing for the restoration, what's the complaint? Seems a good deal to me!

If the owner can afford to restore the car themselves, I'd question why they were on the show.

allandwf

I'm sure the program also has budget constraints. Get a run down, unloved, car up and running and looking good, and make entertaining program. Job done. I see no issues, it's not as if it's advertised as a money no object full blown restoration no matter the subject matter.