Safe money bank transfer with code?

christophe_autos

Hi from France,

I need to buy a UK car and seller is ok to carry it to Lille in France.

But I've a problem as seller refuse paypal fees and I don't want to send him money before having the car.

In France we have "depopass" app on phone who secure the sell with a code.

I mean, buyer make the transfer on the depopass site. The money is put in guarantee and buyer receive a code he needs to give to seller to release funds. The seller and the buyer meet. If the buyer is happy with the car then he gives the code to the seller who sends it by SMS to the depopass site that releases the funds and puts them on the bank account of the seller. It's secure, the buyer can change his mind at the last moment.

Does it exist in UK?

Best regards
Chris

steve3200

i did a similar deal a couple of years ago with a porsche, i drove the car from the UK to Calais and the french buyer drove from where the yellow chickens come from (can't recall the name of the town), and we did the deal in calais with cash in Euros, before i left the UK the French buyer sent me a deposit via paypal to cover the ferry and petrol plus hotel in calais costs and a little extra if i had to return with the car.

as for using an escrow type holding account, its not that common in the uk to do that and i think most sellers would be wary of such an arrangement.

hope this is of help

regards
steve

christophe_autos

Thanks Steve, that was a good deal with your french buyer.

Seller is ok to drive the car to Lille but he refuses paypal or to return with cash in Eurostar so I'm very frightened to send him all money by bank transfer before collection.

It's a car dealer I think he is safe but I have no warantee he would really carry the car after being paid.

Have you another idea to secure the deal?

GeoffCapes

Where is the dealer based? You can hop on the Eurostar from Lille.

Get him to meet you at Folkestone or Ashford.

Navcorr

Thanks Steve, that was a good deal with your french buyer.

Seller is ok to drive the car to Lille but he refuses paypal or to return with cash in Eurostar so I'm very frightened to send him all money by bank transfer before collection.

It's a car dealer I think he is safe but I have no warantee he would really carry the car after being paid.

Have you another idea to secure the deal?

Both parties have every right to be cautious. Can't you travel to the seller? Seems like a perfectly simple solution to me. I did going to Wales - ultimately a wasted trip but not wasted time. Plus we have some wonderful cheeses you could take home with you :smile:

christophe_autos

Where is the dealer based? You can hop on the Eurostar from Lille.

Get him to meet you at Folkestone or Ashford.

Hi Mark,

Seller is based at Gloucestershire GL5 2TA, I can give you details by pm if you wishes.

I can't go in UK and problem would be the same, he refuses to carry the car without being paid.

I could pay paypal fees but he doesn't want.

christophe_autos

Both parties have every right to be cautious. Can't you travel to the seller? Seems like a perfectly simple solution to me. I did going to Wales - ultimately a wasted trip but not wasted time. Plus we have some wonderful cheeses you could take home with you :smile:

Thank you so much, I've ever been 5 times in Uk to buy cars but I have no time now.

Other question, do U know a serious transport to carry car in truck from UK to Lille?

Navcorr

Avec plaisir - I don't see how a transport company solves your problem.
The seller isn't going to let the vehicle go without payment first.

GeoffCapes

I'm guessing from the postcode it's from Front Runners of Stroud.

Can you not get to the UK due to legal reasons or just time? If it's time you can get him to deliver to me in Ashford, and then jump on the train and pick the car up when you can?

JKulin (John) is your man for getting cars delivered.

christophe_autos

I'm guessing from the postcode it's from Front Runners of Stroud.

Can you not get to the UK due to legal reasons or just time? If it's time you can get him to deliver to me in Ashford, and then jump on the train and pick the car up when you can?

JKulin (John) is your man for getting cars delivered.

Sure it is.

No just time.

Do U know him?

He is ok to carry the car at Lille the only problem is to secure the sell...

christophe_autos

To resume I need a 500 V8 5.5 engine and gearbox for my broken R500L so the CLS or S or CL is the better way to find a good engine/box couple and swap in my R class.

Do you know seller? (I email with Paul)

christophe_autos

Here is copy of email: "I can deliver the Mercedes on or around Jan 11th. I will Require a payment of £5000 before delivery. The Balance of £700 could be paid on collection. If would prefer a Bacs payment as Pay pal take 2%. If you wish to pay a Holding deposit of £500 by Pay Pal We can accept this but require the balance before delivery. I will forward my bank IBan numbers if and when required. (please send an email by going to our website)"

Seems serious but I have no warantee of being delivered after...

outrun

I wouldn't pay £5000 on a promise from someone I don't know. Just my 2p worth. He needs to be a little more trusting in you and bring the car over. I would pay the £500 deposit as the risk to him is then covered.

GeoffCapes

I wouldn't pay £5000 on a promise from someone I don't know. Just my 2p worth. He needs to be a little more trusting in you and bring the car over. I would pay the £500 deposit as the risk to him is then covered.

Sounds reasonable ^^^

JonW

I haven’t heard of a UK equivalent of the app, and agree with some of the suggestions made.

Also, nowadays a bank transfer can be done almost on the spot, so I would have said agree that you’ll pay (into his bank account - to show good faith) the cost of him getting to Lille and back, and then agree that when he arrives with the car, you’ll transfer the remaining amount into his bank account (he can watch you do it if he likes), then the two of you go for a nice lunch, a glass of wine to seal the deal, and before he leaves Lille the money should be in his bank account...

Good luck!

Navcorr

Is the deposit not simply a holding deposit? Don't think the seller is saying he'll travel for that. Hopefully, both parties can agree a compromise.
Half up front and the balance on delivery. Both parties can trust each other a little.

Scaf

I would agree - 50/50 risk both ways, low risk given it’s a dealer.
Deposit can be put on a credit card ( buyer pays the fee ) that way the risk is removed as the credit card company has it covered. Balance can be paid by bank transfer via internet banking if pre arrange call to the bank.

christophe_autos

I'm really embarassed

"Hi Chris
The Last owner has not got the invoice for the Oil change at 103000 miles. He assures me he changed both the engine and auto gearbox oil when he purchased the car at 103000 as he was advised to by his Mercedes mechanic.
My IBAN numbers are :- XXXXX
bic :- XXXXX
Account Name Front Runners
Ref Merc VUO7NYO
Please advise How much you will be paying and when. Please allow at least 2 working days for money to reach the account.
Hope that helps
Thanks again
Paul"

So I don't know why he refuses paypal.

Scaf

With PayPal it’s not just the charges - you can raise a dispute and recall the money causing all sorts of hassle - unless of course you send it as a gift then it’s a huge risk for you. Credit card all the way, no brainer.

spkennyuk

I suspect the reason why he want payment before delivery is because he is using a 3rd party to deliver the car. The dealer wont have as much control as they would like once the its in their care.

I can feel a forum relay delivery on the cards ! Lol