2014 Maserati Ghibli cracked strut tower

Rwc13

It's because we care RCW and don't want to see our favourite brand collapse.

Funny way of showing it by always taking the worst possible view of everything current Maserati..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zep

Funny way of showing it by always taking the worst possible view of everything current Maserati..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We come here to express ourselves, we offer our points of view. Some agree others don't, it's life's rich tapestry

As Matt says, none of us want Maserati to have problems, consider it tough love!

MrMickS

Some of the Ghibli recalls are due to odd things. I thought that the stuck pedal was related to the original mats. That they could lift and wedge the throttle. I may be talking rubbish though.

The car may move after the driver is left is due to a few American's getting run over by their Jeeps after moving the gear shift and getting out before checking it was in Park. It was a software change that was applied as part of the normal servicing.

BJL

Still happening in the Levante. I've had a new one all week as a loan car and it is not in any way a Maserati. Sluggish unless you floor it all the time in sport mode, the stupid false exhaust noise in sport mode sounding like a lumpy flat top yank V8, the boot that takes nearly 10 seconds to open or close after you have pressed the button and as with the Jeep when you stop you have to put it in park to turn off the engine so you put it in park and take your foot off the brake and is jumps forward because again it takes about three or four seconds to register park. Plus you cannot move off unless the seat belt is fixed even if adjusting position on the driveway. The infotainment system is like a Rubics cube and so un user friendly and i did 135 miles and had to replace 6 gallons of fuel. No wonder there are nearly a hundred used ones for sale in the uk including dealer demos.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
See I don't know if it's just about brand bashing. Some of us have owned Maseratis for many years, various models, and honestly we become part of the brand itself. We come on the forum to express frustrations or things we are going through some times if for no other reason to also see if others are going through this as well. Other times I am posting it so if someone else deals with this issue later on, there is a history on-line. I am quite certain every Brand has issues. But by building an on-line presence of the issues it's harder for them to deny it. This has happened in the U.S. with a few people. They want to sweep something under the rug and pretend there was never an issue.

For whatever the reason, as I have personally experienced I feel the entire thread contributes to the course of action one might take. Many times I've posted or have gleaned from someone else posting that changed merely how I thought about the entire scenario. In this situation, one person's view point has bettered how the situation was handled, or was considered.

I appreciate these postings if for no other reason than this. God knows I've met some really good guys over the years participating in conversations like this, even reached over seas and met a good guy named Chris that when he flies into Boston for work we go out to eat. Please take that into consideration. Like any relationship, the closer you get, the more you open your heart to it. So when things happen, what wouldn't bother you if you weren't intricately involved, now affects you in a more serious way. I don't think anyone that pays the amount of money we do for these cars want it to become a **** brand. Much rather, we want it to have a good Marque, a good name, and sometimes these threads viewed by people in this Brand do take notice.

Just food for thought.

Andyk

It think that over the years the enthusiast which most on here is for Zmaserati has put up with the short comings because of the love for the cars they have produced. A very limited market for the deserving buyer possibly......Not the fastest or best cars in the class but that never mattered because the others were not a Maserati. Problem is that Maserati has now entered a different market with the range were the target audience drive top range BMW's, Audis, Metc etc and these buyers don't put up with the little short comings and issues that maybe we would have with our 3200, GS etc.......Entering the more mass prestige market is a very different ball game .... Maserati has to get after sales, customer service right as they will loose the customers they have been trying to draw in from the established German Marques. I want to see a great Maserati fighting it out with the competition which in the Levante it feels they have nailed it from the reviews but they now need to get the rest right to keep moving forward surely.

MrMickS

This depends on what Maserati's target is. I've not heard anything that says that they've changed from the 1500 a year target in the UK. This is way less than the German brands but would keep them exclusive, which would allow them to continue to charge top money for the higher end cars in the range.

The brand that is being pitched as the volume brand is Alfa Romeo. They are now positioned against BMW, Mercedes, etc. and hopefully will succeed in that market. I'm not sure its where we want Maserati to go. Taking aim at Porsche absolutely, but not a true volume manufacturer.

I do get RWC's comment though. At times the tone of the forum is pessimistic to the point of being more negative about the current range than even the German biased car magazines.

Andyk

With the Ghibli diesel being placed in adverts to the company car driver which I have heard on the radio this is a very different market to what Maserati have been in and these drivers tend to do the miles and expect reliability and great service......This puts the Ghibli in the same market as the Germans Marques and Jaguar.......Its a tough market and audience and for Maserati to enter this surely must mean the products have it spot on to succeed. Maserati needed to change and have but I just can't get excited about the current range as I did with the GS era etc......I would have a Ghibli as a daily drive without a doubt but that wasn't what made them special for me.........The introduction of a new GT or Sports model I really hope will relight my old passion. In this day and age customer service in King and reading this thread and others I just don't get a warm feeling that they are feeling this.

2b1ask1

Special case
Shameful behaviour from Maserati Craig, any more examples of the 'resin fix'?

CatmanV2

Hmmm. Anyone know if these are fixed / recalled in the UK? There's a couple I see regularly in Harlow, and I quite fancy one myself. I can't help thinking that I'd be extremely cautious if Mrs Catman was driving around. I also wonder if I should pop into the shop where one of them parks and chat to the owner.....

C

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Basically what they did was, at least in the U.S., they put a Safety recall out on the car. However, this is only applicable if you service you're vehicle through Maserati. So say you don't trust Maserati or alternatively you just don't service it through them you might not know of this issue. Many people purchase the 2014 (I think it wasn't corrected until later models, but now off the top of my head cannot remember when) model used in the U.S. and have wholly taken it to Independents. What Maserati is attempting to do is NOT replace the tower. Hypothetically, say you bring the car to an Independent because it's gotten really bad they block the shop from obtaining the replacement parts like they did me. They tell you, you have to bring it to them to perform the recall. But do THEY perform the recall in house, no, they outsource the work. So basically they are keeping tabs on everything, and not allowing anyone but who THEY choose to do the work. If an Independent other than who they want does the work, your on your own to get the parts, and pay out of pocket. It doesn't even matter that the Independent perform the work, under their inspection to verify it was repaired correctly. They will not sell you the Tower or parts period. I think the end goal is to not address the underlying issue, the entire strut tower. If they do replace it, it's very, very limited. Band aid it, keep the costs down.

So lets talk about the photos in that Instagram post. Basically, you have the original tower that is 7.29mm thick of aluminum alloy. The Updated one is 12.02mm, that's 65% thicker than the original tower thickness. I mean you can see it without the Caliper measurements that one is clearly thicker than the other, I just wanted to know how much more, and stuck a digital caliper on it for an exacting measurement.

For the UK cars, if you are trying to spot the strut towers whether they are the same or not. Count the ribs on the top of the tower, the old one has three ribs, and the new one six I believe. It's possible they are different, but highly improbable. I'm assuming that it's the same tower across all borders.

Here's a link to show the new rib design on the top of the strut tower. https://www.instagram.com/p/BdfkDxHFNHt/?hl=en&taken-by=trident456

The old three rib design with a smaller thickness can be seen in the other link I posted today above. Once you go to the Instagram link, toggle the arrows with in the picture itself to scroll to the old design.

outrun

Those extra ribs must add some torsional rigidity too, as well as the additional material. Suggests that they think the failure was a mixture of lack of material as well as flexing under load or over bumps etc.

Poor show. Again.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Those extra ribs must add some torsional rigidity too, as well as the additional material. Suggests that they think the failure was a mixture of lack of material as well as flexing under load or over bumps etc.

Poor show. Again.

Yes I agree.

On another note does your Stradale have the logos on the side of the vehicle? I have been trying to get the logos for my Stradale but well, Maserati N/A couldn't help with that either. Here is my car now second photo shows the Trident I placed on the hood opposed to the roof:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfyIo4Ylgti/?hl=en&taken-by=trident456

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Did you replace both sides Craig ?

Nope, just replacing one side, then we are going to send it up to Maserati Peabody and make them remove everything again to replace the other side on their dime. When we get it back we are going to inspect what they did, and see whether they are doing it to industry standards or not. Just curious now as to what is going on with this. It's one of those things that make you tilt your head side ways because something just doesn't seem correct, and it's off somewhere.