2014 Maserati Ghibli cracked strut tower

conaero

Forum Owner
Rarely shocked by Maserati these days but that’s poor.

Do you want me to get you one shipped over?

Maybe Catman will be taking another suitcase on his next US work trip?

CatmanV2

Rarely shocked by Maserati these days but that’s poor.

Do you want me to get you one shipped over?

Maybe Catman will be taking another suitcase on his next US work trip?

I certainly could, the problem being that my next work trip is as yet an unknown amount of time in the future....

C

safrane

This is pityful...I fail to understand the logic of the brand. If it is a safety recall then why are they not all over this with the registered owners?

G

Guest 1678

I am heading to California early February, with a stop in NJ possible.

Happy to take a larger bag as I have a 40kg allowance.

Damo

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
What's the weight, Craig? And will they sell them to us here? Likely that Damo will be in the US soonest, but I'll more than likely be in Toronto in early March.

allandwf

Very poor. They don't seem to realise after sales service, or lack of, can have a great effect on future buyers.

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
Yes I need to get them from somewhere.

I was tempted to tow the car, engine/gearbox, and sit it right out front of their store. Just leave it there and tell them it's your problem not mine. Of course, that wouldn't have sat well with the Client.

To be honest the entire tower might weigh 10lbs if that. It feels as cheap as it looks. I think I am going to start a whole other thread on the website about this experience. I just don't understand how that mentality plays out. The car is still under warranty till April 2018. It's mind boggling to say the least. We were asking for any favors, just to sell us the parts we need.

Anyway, I think there is an updated strut tower. If you guys do have a way to get this, it would be great. I would like to get this guy's car back together.

azapa

Assuming that whole top is aluminum a skilled fabricator could probably make one (far better too) in a couple of days. Probably a bad idea, but just throwing it out there. At least you have the exact piece to copy from. He11, start selling them in on Ebay and make a fortune!!

Andyk

I really thought that Maserati were starting to put the reliability to bed with the GT and the rest of the new cars but as these cars get older it seems that nothing has changed. The amount of issues coming out now is a worry. That kind of service will be their downfall as customers will just not come back.

conaero

Forum Owner
About a year ago I was told by an insider at the factory that the reason the Alfieri was delayed was due to Maserati having massive problems with the Ghibli/QP platform. They had to sort this before they could move forward.

It would appear there is some truth in that and the issues are well known by the factory.

Andyk

It really doesn't make sense in this day and age Matt.....Most car makers gets these things right before production. What aren't they doing that most of the competitors are to bring a product out that can give confidence to the buying public.....?

Scaf

So what would happen if the strut towers had been damaged in an accident and nothing to do with the recall - surely they would have to supply the parts to the repairer -

Zep

I agree this is a major issue but we shouldn't get hung up on the Maserati don't design or build things right thing. VW, who have an R&D budget greater than some state GDPs get things wrong too. Dieselgate was a blinder and in 2015 alone the Golf had 4 safety recalls, one which rather alarmingly says “directional control may be compromised†and was related to having soft wheel bearing housings. And given the sheer number of Golfs this is, statistically at least, of much greater concern.

For me the issue is their closed attitude to communication and resolution, but even that is born from necessity, with limited resources in the dealer network. A brief look at the DVSA website suggests they are at least trying to put through recalls even for some fairly innocuous stuff. To add a bit of colour, I have included some of the recalls for Aston's over the years.

None of this excuses the way Maserati are treating Craig's client for the supply of parts, but I can also see their concern. If a new design of strut tower is supplied and fitted outside of their control (whether they sub-contract it or not) and then fails for any reason at all, they would then have to investigate that to ensure they have resolved the issue and maybe to defend a lawsuit - no doubt at huge cost.

Additionally, if I ran an independent garage and was asked to replace a dodgy strut tower that was riveted and bonded by a proprietary system and might need a jig for correct alignment, I would be asking my insurers if I was fully covered more than once. I'm not saying it wouldn't be done right, but if there was a problem, would I want the hassle?

f150dd5f3bfbe137d5448c77df90acb2.jpg

7acc931ef2d7d26f0a35ee482feed80f.jpg

e6715fd97ac29dcefbd70c8e52fd0a88.jpg

Rwc13

But so many people on here just love to put the boot in to Maserati, often without knowing the facts or circumstances. So well done for being a lot more balanced and fair in your response.

Isn't there something about the warranty situation for Maseratis in the US that might have a bearing on this? In the past I believe US delivered cars weren't supplied with a Maserati manufacturers warranty, but with an aftermarket warranty organised by MNA. Is this still the case? Could this by why they are insisting that the recalls are done through an approved dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andyk

So 7 recalls on the Ghibli in 2 years.

7 recall on Astons DB models in 21 years

And

10 recalls for the vantage in 20 years....

17 recalls in 21 years total against 7 in 2 years.....for me that's not a great state for Maserati.....Nothing to shout about.

Look not having a go at Maserati and it isn't the recalls that se to be the issue but what Maserati do to put right and what you hear is that is the part they aren't proactive with. Customer care is paramount and they have to work on this.

Zep

I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch, I'm suggesting that it isn't totally out of the ordinary. There were two recalls for the 4200 in their whole life so it's clear that this is not a totally accurate measure!

Yes, their response is most of the issue, they should be upfront and say what is happening and reassure customers that the risk is low (if it is!)

Andyk

I’m not saying it’s perfect by any stretch, I’m suggesting that it isn’t totally out of the ordinary. There were two recalls for the 4200 in their whole life so it’s clear that this is not a totally accurate measure!

Yes, their response is most of the issue, they should be upfront and say what is happening and reassure customers that the risk is low (if it is!)

Yep spot on Zep........Its all about confidence in the marque.......As with all car markers reliability and customer service will bring more sales.....