2014 Maserati Ghibli cracked strut tower

azapa

Yes I agree.

On another note does your Stradale have the logos on the side of the vehicle? I have been trying to get the logos for my Stradale but well, Maserati N/A couldn't help with that either. Here is my car now second photo shows the Trident I placed on the hood opposed to the roof:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfyIo4Ylgti/?hl=en&taken-by=trident456
Hey Craig. I googled 'maserati stradale roof logo' and got quite a few images back. Let me know if you can't find them.

None on mine btw.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

safrane

Given the cost of this repair on cars that are now selling from £28k I am surprised they are not writing them off?

MrMickS

Hmmm. Anyone know if these are fixed / recalled in the UK? There's a couple I see regularly in Harlow, and I quite fancy one myself. I can't help thinking that I'd be extremely cautious if Mrs Catman was driving around. I also wonder if I should pop into the shop where one of them parks and chat to the owner.....

C

My understanding is that its a little more complex over here. They haven't been part of a recall sent out to customers but have been added to the checks that the cars under go when you take them in for a service. I believe that mine were checked on the first service. As part of that I had the front springs replaced and the geometry done all free of charge. As far as I know I've not had the resin 'fix' done, but I may check when it warms up later.

On it being a bad show. There is always the tradeoff of strength vs weight. I'm sure that based on the specification, and testing that was done, that Maserati thought that original part was up to the job. The new part is perhaps overkill in order to ensure that the problem doesn't recur but will add additional weight which is the enemy of performance. I know I could probably have the change done and lose the weight difference myself ;)

Writing the cars off would be a tricky thing to do. What do you say to the customer. "Sorry sir but we've discovered a manufacturing defect in your car but its not worth us repairing it for you, have some cash?".

2b1ask1

Special case
Writing the cars off would be a tricky thing to do. What do you say to the customer. "Sorry sir but we've discovered a manufacturing defect in your car but its not worth us repairing it for you, have some cash?".

Have you noticed the almost total disappearance of Nissan Nivara from the roads? They are stacked three high in discreate scrap yards around the country awaiting export to dismantling facilities. Nissan have been inspecting them and buying them off customers for a ‘market value’ upon finding the chassis cracked in half.

zagatoes30

Have you noticed the almost total disappearance of Nissan Nivara from the roads? They are stacked three high in discreate scrap yards around the country awaiting export to dismantling facilities. Nissan have been inspecting them and buying them off customers for a ‘market value’ upon finding the chassis cracked in half.

Different way of dealing with problems but unusual in this corporate day and age

CraigWaterman11

Sponsor
To be honest, IMHO, the weight really didn't have anything to do with it. The entire strut tower is aluminum alloy, the frame rail, is all steel. Increasing the tower from 7 to 12mm would be a menial weight at best. I could weigh the Strut tower, but a guess of weight when I took it off would be less than 10 pounds for the tower itself the thing needing replacement. On a Turbo charged car going from 10 to 11 lbs hypothetically would be nothing worth noting.

I did purchase the tower and entire frame rail from Eurospares as that's the only way they sold it. I think it was 1400 opposed to if Maserati in the U.S. sold it to me it was only $500 for the tower itself that came together in a recall kit.

Also the spring recall probably was addressed realizing the last thing they wanted to do is have those strut towers pounded by more road force. When I spoke in length, in person, to the Service Manager at the Peabody, MA Maserati dealership (also known as Kelly Maserati) he was trying to convince me it happened because someone drove the sh%&, out of the car. The only problem with that theory was I've seen quite a few front end accidents that haven't broken strut towers like that. Additionally, they don't market the Ghibli in a keep it under 70 mph way. Surely you don't expect to purchase that vehicle and not drive it spiritedly. I'm pretty sure he knew as he told me this I wasn't buying it because I told him the exact same thing.

In any event, the Driver's side (U.S. ) was ripped, but the passenger side also was cracking around the bolt holes in the tower. You could also feel the passenger side pushing up and making the tower concave. Respectfully, the only "fix" I personally would accept is for them to change them. As for going through the insurance, they've tried that here with another person. Not that I particularly care for insurance companies, but they shouldn't have to pay 20-30k on a repair that the Man. knew was defective. The answer is yes, they would total the car out if they had to pay out a claim on it. There is no question in my mind they would as we also do collision work from time to time.

Lastly, I totally agree this is the way to handle it in a Corporate way. Save as much money as possible, hide the issue as long as possible, deny the issue exists (which what they did when it started happening), and when you have to address it, address at the least cost analysis approach. But is that fair for the Consumer who has to deal with the issue, absolutely not, which is why I started the thread in the first place. It's not for people who don't have the car. It's for the savvy Consumer that it's pushed off on that will come here and read up on what is going on with their car and force they're hand. The long and short of it is, this takes time to post all of this. I'm not paid for it, and it definitely doesn't directly profit me. But if I owned one of the these cars I would appreciate someone informing me if I wasn't in that field of expertise.

BrooksR

So I have a 2014 with crack strut tower and ots separating from the frame.... have been told my vin is not part of the recall for some reason... I'm located in Ontario Canada

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_095757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_095757_Gallery.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240213_180457.jpg
    20240213_180457.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 15