How does a GranSport compare to a Granturismo?

Contigo

Sponsor
Buy a 4200 for a fraction of the price then you can have both... Ultimately the aren't that different, +5bhp, lower ride, 19" rims, side skirts, different seats, steering wheel, centre console, valved exhaust... is that worth 15k more? You could do most of those mods with plenty of change imo.

Anyway I took mine out yesterday to stretch its legs to give you some idea of how much lighter it is, went down my favourite local country road, there is a section which is straight flat and wide, booted it and the car started to break traction in 1st. 2nd and 3rd over 5000rmp... didn't want to try it in 4th! Road surface was greasy and cold all assists kept firmly on... Guess you won't get that in a GranTourismo(?)

Get what? I can break traction from 4th to 5th in the wet and in SPORT mode it will let you have more fun than the GS/4200/QP as the traction control does not interefere and cut power.

FIFTY

I would have thought a much heavier car with a front mid engine layout, longer wheel base and larger wider rears would be more planted but there ya go

conaero

Forum Owner
Having had 2 GS's and 2 GTS's I suppose I am in a position to comment.

First off, the GS is one of my all time favourite cars so in no way am I going to down it.

For me, the GS is more 'chuckable' than the GTS but the GTS cruises much better and is more modern.

More modern also means less well engineered.

The GS is over engineered where the GTS is modern engineered.

...but all that said and done, I would take a GTS over the GS for now as its easier to live with and in the current climate looks more modern and is very imposing.

If you want the best of both and can afford it...buy a Strad!

jayblue

I would agree about the GS having a rather rudimentary traction control system. It cuts power almost completely in wet conditions in the lower gears and doesn't allow any slip.

Sometimes I get fed up of it and just turn it off completely which is an interesting experience!

Contigo

Sponsor

First off, the GS is one of my all time favourite cars so in no way am I going to down it.

For me, the GS is more 'chuckable' than the GTS but the GTS cruises much better and is more modern.

...but all that said and done, I would take a GTS over the GS for now as its easier to live with and in the current climate looks more modern and is very imposing.

Which is pretty much what I said but without the waffle :D

montravia

Ohhhhhh, soooooo very wrong, me 'ode luv.

Sunday, down the hill off the Cotswold escarpment, in the hope of finding clean and less tortuous roads. Up to Broadway, choosing a straight flatish bit

Half booted.
Squirreled.

After visiting me mate, pulled away, squirreled on each gear change.

Not even trying.

Steve GS

The reason I love the gs is for her dated looks if I had deeper pockets or my Wife gave me the money she spent on a levante I’d have something a lot older. Probably something like this. E725F17D-D3EF-47CE-B410-DA3DAC1BD37E.jpg

mjheathcote

Centenary Club

Nicely put!
I did a driver training day a few years ago with Carlimits at Blyton Park, Carlimits owner Andrew Walsh was doing the training and at the time, his company car was a GranTourismo.
After he did a few laps scaring me driving my Maser (to this day, I still can't believe what a professional racing driver could make my car do!), he pulled in and said 'I don't normally do this, but because you are a fellow Maserati owner, lets get the GT warmed up!' He then took me round in his GT. Still scared me but it was quite noticeable that the GT was less 'chuckable' as you nicely put it, and mines not a GS of course.

safrane

The GS is indeed a 12 month service interval but I also believe this helps to id items where as a 24 month one can allow problems to manifest.

JonW

Thread revival.... I’m suffering from a 2 yr itch and need to find a way to have a decent test drive of a Gransport... Anyone reasonably local to Surrey want to do a swap for 24 hrs?