How does a GranSport compare to a Granturismo?

JonW

All

How would a Gransport compare to a Granturismo? Is there much difference in terms of performance and drive ability? Also, I know the GS is a little bit smaller, but are the rear seats still properly useable?

Reason for asking is I'm wondering if it would be stupid to be vaguely considering whether it would be worth exploring switching my Granturismo for a GS?

safrane

The GS is far more nimble and chuckable compqred to a GT.

The rear seats are usable for adults for a few hours or ideal for longer trips if the passengers are smaller.

The car is much stiffer that a standard GT even in S form.

They are also quite reasonable for maintenance although they require 12 month services.

Boot is good for a weeks woth of cases...or two if you are not silly.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Seats are just as useable, performance is similar, maintenance and depreciation are less costly too in general. Happy to discuss if you want to call sometime.

montravia

Tried both. Very different. Saw the GS first. Immaculate and part of a collection and well sorted. It's a sports car. Firm, snug seats for one's bottom. Bit harsh and crashy. Cambio corsa not consistent or responsive enough for me on kickdown.

If i was after another sports car to flick about I'd have had it like a shot.

You know what the Granturismo is like. Saw and tried one the next day. Bought it on the spot.

If you're after a bit more flick and zing try a gs

Have both

JonW

The GS is far more nimble and chuckable compqred to a GT.

The rear seats are usable for adults for a few hours or ideal for longer trips if the passengers are smaller.

The car is much stiffer that a standard GT even in S form.

They are also quite reasonable for maintenance although they require 12 month services.

Boot is good for a weeks woth of cases...or two if you are not silly.

Seats are just as useable, performance is similar, maintenance and depreciation are less costly too in general. Happy to discuss if you want to call sometime.

Thanks both...

Dicky - will call you if I decide it's a serious option worth considering... having just spent approx £2k on wheels and £2k+ on getting the PPF taken off and the car fully detailed and protected, there's a bit of me that is reluctant to even consider swapping out my GTS...

rockits

Kickdown & CambioCorsa are not meant to be said in the same sentence really. If you need an Auto & decent kickdown get an auto an not a CC. The CC box is best driven in manual at all times and is a manual gearbox first & foremost. Just doesn't have the third pedal.

JonW

Tried both. Very different. Saw the GS first. Immaculate and part of a collection and well sorted. It's a sports car. Firm, snug seats for one's bottom. Bit harsh and crashy. Cambio corsa not consistent or responsive enough for me on kickdown.

If i was after another sports car to flick about I'd have had it like a shot.

You know what the Granturismo is like. Saw and tried one the next day. Bought it on the spot.

If you're after a bit more flick and zing try a gs

Have both

That’s really helpful, thanks. Some more flick and zing, and something that is not quite as big / heavy / wide is slightly appealing...

rockits

The GS & GT are very different cars and not so compareable. If you want a sharper, harder Sports GT get a GS. If you want a softer more comfortable GT get a GT.

rockits

The 4200/GS is a great package. Not too big or heavy, decent usable back seats for adults as well, a decent boot so a great allround package.

hashluck

As above really. I am more an Aston man than a Maserati expert but would compare Granturismo to Vanquish (comfort GT) and GS to Vantage (sports car). Except the GS manages to pull off the near impossible and give you 4 very usable seats in a extremely compact and sporty package. I replaced a Vantage with a Vanquish and as good a car as it is I missed the Vantage 'flick and zing' and so bought a GS to give me some of that and scratch a long held Maserati itch. So as suggested above I have both! The GS also fits in my garage whereas a GT would not. It says huge things about the GS that this thread considers it in the same breath as cars still in production today. I could easily use mine on a European tour.

If looking at GS make sure you can contend with the ride quality on bad roads. It is no worse than many other cars of its type but can be wearing if you have a lot of potholes in your area.

If I had to choose just one car for all seasons and reasons I must admit I would find it hard to look beyond the Granturismo but only in MC-Shift form.

Ewan

It would be worth your while going to test drive a GS. It really is quite different to the GT, having a noticeably harder ride and being considerably smaller.

I use my GT on a regular basis as it's more than fast enough, comfy and spacious. Plus the noise is unbeatable. My GS, on the other hand, I only use maybe 10 times a year - and every time is a treat.

JonW

It would be worth your while going to test drive a GS. It really is quite different to the GT, having a noticeably harder ride and being considerably smaller.

I use my GT on a regular basis as it's more than fast enough, comfy and spacious. Plus the noise is unbeatable. My GS, on the other hand, I only use maybe 10 times a year - and every time is a treat.

Thanks Ewan... I love my GTS, so it may just be the random musings of a slightly bored mind over the festive holiday. Either way, sounds like a test drive is needed.

philw696

Just done a few days touring around the Hawked Bay in my 4200 with my partner who is French and the car is the perfect tourer for sure in 30 degrees.
My partner on the other hand made sure the back seats were used as we came back with more than we took.
Mainly shoes for her and a speeding ticket for me.

iainw

How has maserati managed to pull off a sports car with 2 usable back seats but no one else has?
If they put a 550+ HP engine into it and upgraded the tech and fine tuned the looks..
I don't understand why they haven't built on the success of the Gransport.
Even the portofino back seats are too vertical and thats 175k+

Contigo

Sponsor
Thanks Ewan... I love my GTS, so it may just be the random musings of a slightly bored mind over the festive holiday. Either way, sounds like a test drive is needed.

IMO you would regret it, whilst the GS is a lovely car and different the GTS just looks and sounds better.

ofenomeno99

I've had both and I've always felt that the GS was more bespoke and is actually my favourite car. However, I know it's contradicting and I've said it a lot, if I was in your position, I would not be able to swap the GT for the GS. The GT is much more modern, refined and dramatic.

The solution though is to own both at the same time, because it's one of those things where because of their very different characteristics, you will miss different things about each one.

FIFTY

Buy a 4200 for a fraction of the price then you can have both... Ultimately the aren't that different, +5bhp, lower ride, 19" rims, side skirts, different seats, steering wheel, centre console, valved exhaust... is that worth 15k more? You could do most of those mods with plenty of change imo.

Anyway I took mine out yesterday to stretch its legs to give you some idea of how much lighter it is, went down my favourite local country road, there is a section which is straight flat and wide, booted it and the car started to break traction in 1st. 2nd and 3rd over 5000rmp... didn't want to try it in 4th! Road surface was greasy and cold all assists kept firmly on... Guess you won't get that in a GranTourismo(?)

JonW

. went down my favourite local country road, there is a section which is straight flat and wide, booted it and the car started to break traction in 1st. 2nd and 3rd over 5000rmp...

This sounds fun - given you’re Surrey based, maybe I should take my GTS to this road and do a comparison? Where abouts in Surrey are we talking?

FIFTY

Are you near Guildford? There are some very nice roads leading up to the Hampshire boarder north of Guildford and they are much quieter than trying to have fun on lets say the A25 heading towards Dorking between Leatherhead and Guildford (great drive if you can get a clear run without a Honda Jazz doing 40mph)

Anyway here it is between the red marks on the route highlighted in Blue... it goes from a 20mph school zone to a 30mph to 60mph natiotional... it seems straighter driving it but it's good enough, if you join the next road it's quite nice twisty turns but the speed limit is only 30mph into a 40mph for the slighly less technical bit... Highlighted another bit on the right down past the cemetery, if you join that road at the top by the golf glub then it is a 15mph corner into a 60mph national speed limit zone. The road is a bit cambered though so not great in the wet/cold

Capture.JPG