Heater Matrix Replacement

FIFTY

Good work hope you are working in a heated garage I came in half an hour ago as my hands were getting too cold

davidhowson

d6c1970c8835d013aff9c40263b6f4ba.jpg
4a135c863042d36349284c266bab845b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maverick

If anyone else is thinking of tackling this job I did a full guide with pictures it’s on here some where may be posted under conero ( matt) as he posted it for me .

Yeti

Seriously impressed you're tackling this yourself. I think mine is on the way out as I can't stop the car steaming up when left. Don;t get any steam when it runs, but go to it next morning and the windows have all fogged up, so something in the cabin is getting damp. I did at one time "lose" a bit of water, but after a run this morning that seems to have stopped. Would be VERY interested in a "how I did it" article when you finish.

davidhowson

Hi Yeti, so far so good ! I started having the passenger side windscreen mist up after driving which is a certain sign things are not right. Then one day, the car just filled with steam just a few miles from home thankfully . I think the picture of the heater matrix says it all. I've cleaned out the blower fan assembly today and i'm going to replace the heater hoses and clips whilst it's all apart. Then i will start the rebuild.

davidhowson

Where the blower assembly used to be. You can also see the inlet (top) and outlet pipes for the heater hose connections on the bulk head.
130d50b8b047a3b54e56b8526a0d2a90.jpg

CatmanV2

Seriously impressed you're tackling this yourself. I think mine is on the way out as I can't stop the car steaming up when left. Don;t get any steam when it runs, but go to it next morning and the windows have all fogged up, so something in the cabin is getting damp..

You mean fogged up before you get in it and start up?

C

Gp79

Seriously impressed you're tackling this yourself. I think mine is on the way out as I can't stop the car steaming up when left. Don;t get any steam when it runs, but go to it next morning and the windows have all fogged up, so something in the cabin is getting damp. I did at one time "lose" a bit of water, but after a run this morning that seems to have stopped. Would be VERY interested in a "how I did it" article when you finish.

I'd check the pollen filter and condensate drain first, maybe just blocked up so it can't drain properly.

If it was the matrix leaking I'd expect it to steam up with engine running.

philw696

You can also pressure test the cooling system and have a good nosey around the passenger foot well Guy's.

voicey

Before condemning the heater matrix I would ensure the scuttle drains are open and that the condensate drain pipe is unclogged.

F456M

My car also fogs inside when I press the ECO button on the heater panel. I assume the drain hose is clogged. Where exactly is the drain hose coming out? Where can I blow it backwards....? Thanks

F456M

Thanks a lot. I guess I have to replace the Alfa 166 filter and check for water and open the drain pipe... Excellent tip!

FIFTY

I don't want to sound overly negative but in the case of my car the ac drain and pollen filter were clogged but the heater matrix had also failed so I'd still check in the footwell and behind the dash via the panel the covers the transmission tunnel for signs of coolant ingreas