Heater Matrix Replacement

Masera

Happy New Year to all! Feel a bit bummed that I pulled the trigger buying the aluminum version three months ago and paid about $285 for it shipped to the US from eSabbparts and now the one on ebay is half the price. Still haven't attempted it yet but will be giving it a shot shortly. On another note, I thought removal of the steering wheel was not necessary?

Navcorr

$285 is still better than the normal price here - its about that in £s.
Spoke to Dean about the matrix and his source has quite a few available.

Oh - I think I should point out "bummed" is something very different in the UK :whistle:

davidhowson

You don't have to remove the wheel but it's a lot easier if you do. I undid the four bolts on the wheel boss and off it popped!
731dd92a68900b5e8b753d13968acdda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidhowson

I bought the wheel some years back from a main dealer it was a bargain as it's blue not black but that is what i needed!!
I removed the paddles by taking out the two screws holding each one on just to give me a little more room and to stop me hitting my head on them.

davidhowson

David, having done the same process, may I suggest you consider this a good opportunity to freshen your carpets with carpet dye?
Mine are black and the transformation was incredible. I have posted photos previously.
You may consider a colour change to dark blue or black?
It is an easy spray can process once you remove the carpets from the car.
Otherwise hire the carpet cleaner machine with the upholstery wand to decontaminate the coolant stains.

Funny you should say that, but I am trying to find a good navy or black dye that is permanent (some seem to come off on your shoes) If you have a recommendation that would be really good.

davidhowson

What do you guys think of this item on ebay rather than the oem part i have bought?
item 302573403433

mjheathcote

Centenary Club

alfatwo

Just stick with the standard Ali /Plastic Fiat rad, there perfectly fine

Lets face it, you wont own the car in 10 years time when it fails again!

Dave

davidhowson

Dave, I think you're right, I have the OEM part, I may as well stick to it now. More fun tomorrow as the heat exchanger housing comes off and I can see the damage.

davidhowson

It's all out, 8 hours into the project and all apart! Air box full of coolant and a very rusty heater core. Hope this is it!

Gp79

Good work, a few more pics please!

Is it possible to photograph how the condensation drain runs from the heater box? Think mine is a bit squashed as it is still dropping condensate after a few hours of not running, the drain is clear, blown with air and end opened up as per forum guide.

Bet I'll be doing this soon enough...

davidhowson

I'll see if I can get a few more pictures before I start to rebuild. I'm thinking about replacing the two heater hoses and jubilee clips as I'm so far into the dash. My also look at the fan and clean that up too.