Ghibli vs Ghibli S vs Granturismo. Help!

Benmilesbc

Morning everyone

New member here! I've been trying to talk myself into getting a Maser and am torn between the practicality and modernity of a Ghibli and the beautiful lines and thunderous V8 of the Granturismo. Around 35K seems to get either a 2014 Ghibli S V6 or a 2009 GT 4.7 of a similar mileage. I already have a family SUV so this will mostly be exclusively for a solo weekly 200 mile round trip. I am not a millionaire so service running costs, reliability and comfort are of importance. I place little value however on MPG, coming from a long line of fast and fun Alfas!

Thanks in advance!

Ben.

Benmilesbc

Second question concerns the two petrol varieties of the Ghibli. Are there any differences between them beyond the engine map?

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Welcome to the fold. Granturismo, very easy decision, the Ghibli is a daily and not nearly as special as the GTS. Also, the depreciation will be far better on a GTS than a Ghibli.

davy83

I think its definitely the GTS, I am not sure about the statistics on running costs but I don't think there is much in it, they are both well sorted and can both cost money if the wrong parts need replaced.

iainw

Ghibli if you want sheepskin floor mats.
GTS if you want to rip out the stereo, open the windows and listen to the exhaust.
I had the same questions. I suggest you do exactly as I did.
Take out the Ghibli S for a test drive then drive back to the dealership. Make sure they have some GTS's for you to see as you park up. Then ask them to fire up the GTS in sport mode. Then with a grin on your face, get into the GTS.
Pull away, have a nice drive, return and put your deposit down.

Andyk

Welcome.....?Easy as a ov...if it's a weekend toy then gas to be the GT 4.7.....The others are more daily drives......GT will feel very special.....and there is a great example for sale from a member on here at 35k as well.

bigbob

It's all been said but remember all three are great cars. The GranTurismo has a lot more presence and was a much more expensive car new. That's not to knock the Ghiblis' but they were a lot cheaper and they are saloons. It's like comparing a 550i with an i8 for visual wow factor.

PS Dicky is right on depreciation too, saloons always tank and keep tanking whereas coupes' do better and convertibles best.

PPS If you want tech then don't buy a Maserati, take a German premium brand always.

PPPS See that Dicky has just taken an F Type in. I would look at one of these if two seats were enough.

safrane

As you have a daily why go for another family saloon?

Get a coupe and enjoy what a special car the Maserati is.

DaveT

As you have a daily why go for another family saloon?

Get a coupe and enjoy what a special car the Maserati is.

Completely agree.

Ghibli petrol is a fine daily. I had one but GTS is another world altogether and you already have a daily.

Wouldn't rule out GS as a weekend toy either.

iainw

Completely agree.

Ghibli petrol is a fine daily. I had one but GTS is another world altogether and you already have a daily.

Wouldn't rule out GS as a weekend toy either.

Drive all 3 and let us know how you get on.
A GS could be the sweet spot. Look great, 4 seats, fun to drive , v low depreciation and cheaper to buy.
Wish I had bought one and experienced it.

keith

As has been said the Ghibli is designed to be an everyday useable car, with the convenience features to at least begin to make it compatible with the German competition. As you mentioned you already have a sensible car, so for the 'special' factor maybe go for a coupe. But just to throw something else into the mix, you could also consider an early model Bentley GT. It's 12 cylinder engine would leave the Maserati for dust, it still has as much if not more presence than the Maserati, as well as four seats, and plenty of in car German tech including four wheel drive, and let's not forget the all important sheepskin rugs!!
Finally I have the Ghibli DIESEL, shock horror, which I staunchly defend with much friendly sparring with many on this site that think of such propulsion in a Maserati as the devil's work. However for me, outright performance on our ever more speed restricted and congested roads is becoming increasingly irrelevant, plus I value the increased refinement when warmed up that the Diesel offers,which Iainw thanks to the Rugs has also been improved! Plus as it looks identical to the petrol, when in sport mode the trick exhaust electronics mean its often confused for having a V8 petrol engine, with enough performance (a Ghibli S beating 600nm of torque) for our crowded roads.
Just my opinion of course...

Benmilesbc

Thank you everyone for your insightful and friendly comments. I think I'll head down to the local dealership and see which of the two cars captures my imagination. The reason the GT isn't the immediate and obvious option is the significant 10K a year (minimum) mileage I would be putting on; I figured this mileage would be better worn by a newer car, but could be mistaken! On looks, sound and desire the GT wins hands down, but the Ghibli is still a stunning car. Someone mentioned a German option for in car tech. Sage advice but I'd rather drive a Fiat Panda.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

iainw

As has been said the Ghibli is designed to be an everyday useable car, with the convenience features to at least begin to make it compatible with the German competition. As you mentioned you already have a sensible car, so for the 'special' factor maybe go for a coupe. But just to throw something else into the mix, you could also consider an early model Bentley GT. It's 12 cylinder engine would leave the Maserati for dust, it still has as much if not more presence than the Maserati, as well as four seats, and plenty of in car German tech including four wheel drive, and let's not forget the all important sheepskin rugs!!
Finally I have the Ghibli DIESEL, shock horror, which I staunchly defend with much friendly sparring with many on this site that think of such propulsion in a Maserati as the devil's work. However for me, outright performance on our ever more speed restricted and congested roads is becoming increasingly irrelevant, plus I value the increased refinement when warmed up that the Diesel offers,which Iainw thanks to the Rugs has also been improved! Plus as it looks identical to the petrol, when in sport mode the trick exhaust electronics mean its often confused for having a V8 petrol engine, with enough performance (a Ghibli S beating 600nm of torque) for our crowded roads.
Just my opinion of course...

It was a friendly comment about the rugs. I was initially horrified seeing them- but with this cold weather ... I am secretly imaging my feet on them as a passenger being chauffeured in the Ghibli. Anyway - my opinion is flawed as I can’t even decide what car to buy next myself.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Just picked up on this thread and am blushing. Also checking bank balance as I seem to now owe the Cat, Iain and Capes a tenner each.

My GTS would be the obvious choice but if you’re squeamish about miles maybe you should go the Ghibli route and get one starting with fewer clicks on the clock. On the other hand, if you just want a car that makes you grin like a loon, then click here and never look back!