Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 224v buying advise

Quote Originally Posted by 2b1ask1 View Post
    Reading that I think you have already talked yourself out of it Bertone; if it didn't impress on a test drive that won't change when you own it and face the bills. the engine really only came alive when they started on the V8 bi-turbos, get yourself into a 3200 and feel the difference

Drive a ghibli or better still a cup and I think you will change your mind...
    Rich
    Maserati Ghibli "Taylor/Hawksworth Trofeo edition"

I love the biturbos.... But they have a flat plane crank which make the sound a bit odd... Just like many the PRV and Citroen V6s. On the Citroen XMs, the factory went from a 90 degree to a 60 degree V6, and suggenly the engine sounded like a "Ferrari". I (2,8 l.) and it was a very very good and reliable car.
    Drive with style!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertone View Post
    Sorry, no idea about the turbo pressure....i did the test drive 2 months ago....however I will go for a 3200 or 4200 models....
    Just need to save some more cash
    Where about's are you in Madrid, I used to live in Alcobendas in the 90's!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by alfatwo View Post
    Where about's are you in Madrid, I used to live in Alcobendas in the 90's!

Dave
    Hi, I live in the northen area, Mirasierra....

BTW: The 224 is no longer available in the adds...it was sold a couple of weeks ago.

But it looked great!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

One day you will regret not having bought it...

Yes....perhaps.....only if the engine would have sounded sweeter (metallic sound when idle) and the test ride would have been more convincing.
    As a comparison, my 97 Boxster would get an 8 and the 224 only 4 out of 10 in overall car feeling...so a bit of a disappointment wth the maser....

Quote Originally Posted by Bertone View Post
    The test drive did not impress me much....no super-car feeling at all...A bit akward with the dogleg shift...
    My biggest doubt/concern is the engine and how it sounds....It sounds like an "old sawing machine" when in idle, not like a nice smooth small 6 cylinder engine.

My old 1997 Boxster 2.5 sounds awesome when you rev it....this one sounded like ****..

Is this normal ???
    Remember that these are 90 dgr. V6's and they sound quite different to most 6 cylinder engines. Have a search on Youtube and listen :-) I think it probably sounded as it should and that you experienced the same as I when you first started and drove it. Not what one would expect - but after some miles it has its charm. It is quite raw sounding especially from inside the cabin and the exhaust note is also a bit unfamiliar. It's just how they are.
    Currently :

-1999 Maserati Quattroporte Evoluzione 3.2
    -1978 Ferrari 400GT 5-speed
    -1988 Lancia Thema 8.32

Quote Originally Posted by F456M View Post
    I love the biturbos.... But they have a flat plane crank which make the sound a bit odd... Just like many the PRV and Citroen V6s. On the Citroen XMs, the factory went from a 90 degree to a 60 degree V6, and suggenly the engine sounded like a "Ferrari". I (2,8 l.) and it was a very very good and reliable car.
    No,sorry. I also initially thought so but a V6 would work very poorly with a flat plane crank. These engines use a regular crossplane crankshaft. The design is loosely based on the older Merak engine - which again is loosely based on an older V8 F1 engine with two cylinders removed. The unusual sound it makes is due to its uneven firing order.
    Currently :

-1999 Maserati Quattroporte Evoluzione 3.2
    -1978 Ferrari 400GT 5-speed
    -1988 Lancia Thema 8.32

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12