224v buying advise

Bertone

Hi,

I've found a nice specimen of a 224v here in Madrid Spain, but I have some doubts before buying it...

MY1991
Italy import to Spain in 2004
Black/gray paint
77.000 on the clock (but is it real???)
No service history (big drawback, I guess)
Body work is OK with some small dents here and there but nothing serious
White leather interiour in a very very good shape (no rips nor major damage)
Tires are OK
MOT passed 2 months ago
AC does not work (dash unit seems broken..not sure why...)
New battery
No rust
The rest of the car seems OK

The guy wants 5500 EUR wich I think is a fair price, right??

The test drive did not impress me much....no super-car feeling at all...A bit akward with the dogleg shift...
My biggest doubt/concern is the engine and how it sounds....It sounds like an "old sawing machine" when in idle, not like a nice smooth small 6 cylinder engine.

My old 1997 Boxster 2.5 sounds awesome when you rev it....this one sounded like ****..:conf1:

Is this normal ???

2b1ask1

Special case
Reading that I think you have already talked yourself out of it Bertone; if it didn't impress on a test drive that won't change when you own it and face the bills. the engine really only came alive when they started on the V8 bi-turbos, get yourself into a 3200 and feel the difference :)

midlifecrisis

If the engine doesn't sound right then it probably isn't. Walk away and wait till the right one comes your way (a 4200, but I'm biased!)

Wally

Mwah .. I disagree. No decals on the Car to identify the italian servicedealer to start with? Low mileage in Italy is quite common. My ‘90 2.24 had approximately the same mileage. And €5.500 is not a lot of cash. But do you have another €5000 to carry out any other necessary repairs? Parts are difficult to source. If it sounds like a tractor, it could be Some simple things (map-sensor tube or connector loose? Distributorcap in bad Shape?) or something more complex. It Should run smoothe even when idling. So think well before you take this step in the magical World of Maserati Bi-turbo.

Bertone

Thanks for your advice.
But then is the "sawing machine" engine sound normal in this type of cars?
I've heard YouTube videos of biturbos and the engine sound is awful.....at the exhaust the noise is ok but not from the engine bay....can you confirm?

There are 3200 and 4200's available here for around 18 to 22000 €....will keep on searching.

Wally

When idle, it sounds like a normal engine, when revving a bit rougher I would say. Are there no films at YouTube to verify what it Should sound like?

Wally

This particular engine is a bit noisy. Could be the chains or maybye the play of the valves needs to be corrected. How is the performance ? Keep in mind this is only a 2.0 litre engine that needs the turbo’s to come alive. Does the needle of the turbo-gauge reach the beginning of the yellow zone?

Bertone

Sorry, no idea about the turbo pressure....i did the test drive 2 months ago....however I will go for a 3200 or 4200 models....
Just need to save some more cash:t:

chad5k1

Reading that I think you have already talked yourself out of it Bertone; if it didn't impress on a test drive that won't change when you own it and face the bills. the engine really only came alive when they started on the V8 bi-turbos, get yourself into a 3200 and feel the difference :)

Drive a ghibli or better still a cup and I think you will change your mind...

F456M

I love the biturbos.... But they have a flat plane crank which make the sound a bit odd... Just like many the PRV and Citroen V6s. On the Citroen XMs, the factory went from a 90 degree to a 60 degree V6, and suggenly the engine sounded like a "Ferrari". I (2,8 l.) and it was a very very good and reliable car.

alfatwo

Sorry, no idea about the turbo pressure....i did the test drive 2 months ago....however I will go for a 3200 or 4200 models....
Just need to save some more cash:t:

Where about's are you in Madrid, I used to live in Alcobendas in the 90's!

Dave

Bertone

Where about's are you in Madrid, I used to live in Alcobendas in the 90's!

Dave

Hi, I live in the northen area, Mirasierra....

BTW: The 224 is no longer available in the adds...it was sold a couple of weeks ago.

But it looked great!!!:tomato1:

Attachments

• 224 2.jpg
    224 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 74

Bertone

Yes....perhaps.....only if the engine would have sounded sweeter (metallic sound when idle) and the test ride would have been more convincing.
As a comparison, my 97 Boxster would get an 8 and the 224 only 4 out of 10 in overall car feeling...so a bit of a disappointment wth the maser....

Arvid

The test drive did not impress me much....no super-car feeling at all...A bit akward with the dogleg shift...
My biggest doubt/concern is the engine and how it sounds....It sounds like an "old sawing machine" when in idle, not like a nice smooth small 6 cylinder engine.

My old 1997 Boxster 2.5 sounds awesome when you rev it....this one sounded like ****..:conf1:

Is this normal ???

Remember that these are 90 dgr. V6's and they sound quite different to most 6 cylinder engines. Have a search on Youtube and listen :) I think it probably sounded as it should and that you experienced the same as I when you first started and drove it. Not what one would expect - but after some miles it has its charm. It is quite raw sounding especially from inside the cabin and the exhaust note is also a bit unfamiliar. It's just how they are.

Arvid

I love the biturbos.... But they have a flat plane crank which make the sound a bit odd... Just like many the PRV and Citroen V6s. On the Citroen XMs, the factory went from a 90 degree to a 60 degree V6, and suggenly the engine sounded like a "Ferrari". I (2,8 l.) and it was a very very good and reliable car.

No,sorry. I also initially thought so but a V6 would work very poorly with a flat plane crank. These engines use a regular crossplane crankshaft. The design is loosely based on the older Merak engine - which again is loosely based on an older V8 F1 engine with two cylinders removed. The unusual sound it makes is due to its uneven firing order.