Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ghibli II winter works

Nice! Keep Up the Good work...

Thanks, trying

I would need some help regarding the front hubs. How do I remove the stub axle with the hub from the carrier? I've tried pushing it out with a shop press but it doesn't move at all. Tried around 3 tonnes, but I was afraid that I will break something.

IMG_20180404_204714.jpg

BE CAREFUL !

The little black abs connector will snap off if you look at it too hard.... Maserati have none left and I am yet to find what car it is from.

Bill Mcgrath have some new ones at £400 each.

I have been through 3 of them !!!

I would pull that part off first and put it somewhere safe. To remove mine I stood on the hub carrier and hit the end of the axle with a bit hammer - it then shot across the garage floor.

Thanks for the notice, I'll take care. Tried to remove the hub itself but i couldn't open that nut, will try harder.

3 of them?? That should have been a painful process, pretty much what I had with the rear arms.

The hub itself is an SKF VKBA 3433, of course out of production. It was used for examplr as the rear hub of Lancia Kappa. The catalogue for that car lists VKBA 3544 as the alternative but it's nowhere near, doesn't even have the ABS connector. Also none of the better quality (***) are available, I've only found it at Optimal, so I try to stick to my current ones. The original ones were around £80, the ones available are even more cheap so I would skip those £400 parts.

Well **** me, I literally spent weeks trawling every 1990's car I could think of to find the part - Lancia Kappa must have been the only one I didn't check !

I broke mine tightening up the wheel bearing nut, as the nut tightens the entire axle started to turn and the sensor hit the brake calliper and snapped off - I did it three times !!! You need a 42mm spanner to hold the axle to stop it turning.

Mine came off easily - but on the car.

Old screwdriver or punch to bend the lock tab of the nut out of the way and then an impact gun. If you try it now the impact gun should at least break the bond between the bearing and the axle.

Looking now I have found the Optimal part - I will order one just to have a play with.

Thanks

Del

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345