Stradale Hibernation

FF1078

As the title states she's gone into hibernation now. Well she started her sleep early November actually

I used my previous GT/s during winter the odd nice day if the gritters hadn't been out but because the Strad is a little bit more "special" I thought I'd SORN her as it would keep road salt off her and it wouldn't hurt to keep the milegae low.

Anyway my question is do you guys run/start your vehicles when in hibernation or just leave them for 4 months or so on the CTEK?

Nick

zagatoes30

I always start and move any of my cars that are in long term storage. Once a month get them up to temperature and move them so that they are not sitting of the same bearing / tyre face for too long. no idea if its necessary but always done it

conaero

Forum Owner
Indeed, I dont trickle charge it, I put in on charge the night before just in case as my Strad does not suffer from battery drain.

As for starting, I would do this at lease once a month and just drive it out the garage and back in again. The reason for doing this is to remove condensation/water sitting on metal parts for long periods of time which will ultimately eat into the metal and you can probably guess the rest. Cover, well no, there is no point in a garage and its best to have the air circulating to keep it dry. Any cover will reduce this.

FF1078

Indeed, I dont trickle charge it, I put in on charge the night before just in case as my Strad does not suffer from battery drain.

Because I dont use it every day I put it on trickle just to prevent any lights coming on from low battery voltage.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed with Matt's comments about covers. They're handy for keeping bird shite and dust etc off, but not good for the car at all. Breathable, my ar5e. Even outside you're better off keeping them uncovered so the air can blow round rather than leaving condensation to settle on metal parts which love to rust and delicate electronic components which love to go pop next time you start the car.

BJL

Stands.jpg

Any I lay up go on 4 of these (each takes 1 tonne) and never leave the Ctek on for more than a week as i have found that if the battery is good but not perfect the constant pulse/drain/ charge cycle ends up knackering it. Starting once a month just to keep the lub where it needs to be.

FF1078

Thanks everyone.
So I'll start her once a month.

Never heard that a CTEK can knacker a battery. Thought they where for the exact job of laying cars up?

BJL

Just had to replace my QP battery after it had been on Ctek for a month. Perfect before with no issues but noticed instead of green light showing, as per normal, an orange light showed after 3 weeks. Didn't take much notice but after a few days of orange light I disconnected the Ctek and tried to start the car. Flat as a pancake and would't take a charge so a Bosche S5 was transplanted. If you live near or at where you lay up then to me it makes sense to put the car on a trickle charge regularly rather than continuously. Just a thought.

The stands are on ebay and are from Germany £29.00 a set. I put 6mm hard rubber pads on each and stand them adjacent to the jacking points where the chassis is visible on each corner just to take the weight off the wheels

Contigo

Sponsor
I'd say that is more coincidence as the CTEK is not a trickle charger but a battery conditioner, it pulses the battery to make sure it is topped up and healthy and will stop once full charge is reached.

BJL

Could be right but from now on I'm not leaving one connected continuously opting to disconnect it every week or so. Just in case

azapa

Regarding the starting up: any less than 20 mins running and best not start it at all. Especially in freezing UK. A cold engine and ancillaries produce a huge amount of condensation, and unless those parts reach, and maintain >100C for some time you will just trap moisture, making things worse.

Ideal would be a 30 minute exorcism with full hooning once a month.

outrun

I'd say that is more coincidence as the CTEK is not a trickle charger but a battery conditioner, it pulses the battery to make sure it is topped up and healthy and will stop once full charge is reached.

Agree with Phil (don't tell anyone).

safrane

Three years on the CTEC on the same battery and no issues...and as Phil knows the car is a lazy garage queen.

Gp79

Regarding the starting up: any less than 20 mins running and best not start it at all. Especially in freezing UK. A cold engine and ancillaries produce a huge amount of condensation, and unless those parts reach, and maintain >100C for some time you will just trap moisture, making things worse.

Good points here, I roll mine around a little and avoid unnecessary starting but will give it a proper run if the roads are dry to get it properly hot. Stored in garage uncovered as not fussed about a bit of dust.

Plugged into a ctek for last 3 1/2 years all the time and no problem, don't know how old battery was before I bought the car.

FF1078

That was what prompted my initial post.
If I warm it up and dont take it fopr a run it will condensate and degrade more than going out on the salty roads.

voicey

If the engine isn't started periodically then there is a good risk the rear main seal will dry up and then start leaking when the car is used again. I do loads on Ferraris that sit idle for months - great earner for me!

FF1078

If the engine isn't started periodically then there is a good risk the rear main seal will dry up and then start leaking when the car is used again. I do loads on Ferraris that sit idle for months - great earner for me!

So what do you suggest Voicey?

Dont want to take her out on the salty roads but if I d start here she'll condensate.

highlander

Same as the rest here, ctek on from October to April (never had any battery problems in 4 years) and monthly drive onto drive for 20-30 min and once up to temp I hold it at 4000 revs.........no particular reason other than it makes me smile ;)

MGT

So what do you suggest Voicey?

Dont want to take her out on the salty roads but if I d start here she'll condensate.

You could take her out, enjoy, then give her a good wash after including pressure washing the underside. You could try a touchless wash if it's only to take the layer of grime that's just built up off.

conaero

Forum Owner
Started mine today, drove it out the garage, let her idle for 10 mins, washed her, put her back in the garage.

That’s another 20ft of its value :(

C’mon Spring, I want to use her.