Winter tyres for Qp

Razz

Evening folks

QP 4.7s on 20 rims

Do people don winter tyres on their Maseratis or do they stick with summer leg wear.
I gashed my front tyre in a pothole this evening so will replace but thought I'd take wise council of the forum if I should go for winter tyres. Currently p zero 245/35

If so what winters should I go for?

All the best
Razz

Keano

I have put winter tyres on the rear again this year. Makes the car much better to drive but have not done the fronts

JonW

Hi

Not a QP owner, but I’m a massive fan of my Pirrelli SottoZero’s... last year was the first time I used them, and they transform my Granturismo...

Ewan

I have Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tyres all round on mine. It makes a huge difference. To me, it's a no brainier. Winter tyres in winter, summer tyres in summer. It's not rocket exactly rocket science and is cost level, as what you spend on one set you save on the other.

davy83

I have used good Year Ultra Grip on my daily for many years now, not sure if they are available in the right size for you but to my mind these are unbelievable winter tyres, like magic, they work on black ice, deep snow, and slush and good in the wet and dry at low temperatures.

bigbob

They will transform the car in winter. Depending on the car I have used winter tyres from Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear or the Dutch brand beginning with V that I cannot spell. All have been brilliant.

allandwf

I have Continentals on the Brera, plus point is the winters seem to have a large rim protector, which has come in handy a couple of times. :)

Razz

Thanks
Winters seem to be the right choice.
Now need to decide on the brand !

bigbob

Thanks
Winters seem to be the right choice.
Now need to decide on the brand !

Will largely be driven by what matching sizes you can get for front/rear which meet load indices. IIRC for the GranTurismo there are only three - Pirelli, Michelin and one of the Korean brands. I went for Pirelli and are on my second set - first lasted five winters.

outrun

I have put winter tyres on the rear again this year. Makes the car much better to drive but have not done the fronts

That's crazy. You're causing an imbalance, there is not reason why the fronts could not lose tractions and it's game over. I'd urge you to change them too.

CLRut

I have fitted Michelin Alpin 4's on all 4 corners of the Stradale. There are relatively few brands which are actually manufactured in the sizes required or indeed available presently, and I ended up sourcing the rears and fronts from two different suppliers (Camskills and MyTyres) - Event Tyres who I usually use came up blank. All 4 tyres came from Germany - go figure!

The owners manual for the Strad gives two options for winter tyres so it may be similarly confusing on other models - either fit the same size as the summers (255/295) or go with 245/285. I went with the former and the handling in the recent snap of cold weather has been spot on. No regrets - especially if we sit within that band of "grimy"/greasy winter weather in Jan-March with plenty of wetness everywhere.

allandwf

That's crazy. You're causing an imbalance, there is not reason why the fronts could not lose tractions and it's game over. I'd urge you to change them too.
It's not all about traction for driving, but just as importantly being able to stop. I agree, get them all round.

Ralph_Manders

I have the sottozero's as well, and on 19†so a softer ride which is better in the wet. The SZ's veel very good in the wet, and. An handle snow, although I wouldn't like taking the QP up an apline small snowy mountain pass......
70e13c32799c66d5f666d7fbe0d1c48f.jpg

IanU

I've only had my QP for approx 5 months and haven't really got into this area yet, but I always had winter tyres on my my other cars and am definitely noticing a difference with the summer tyres in this weather.
Do you all tend to get the tyres swapped on the rims, or do you have a spare set of rims to change over to with the tyres already on? I've always had a spare set of rims with tyres already on so I can swap them over as and when.
Obviously a spare set of rims is not going to be cheap, is there a set that would generally be regarded as less desirable as and hence easier and cheaper to come by? Or should I just look for a scruffy set to take off someones hands? :)!!
Sounds like I might be limited by size availability, but I've always gone for Vredesteins. I'll have a look round.

Cheers
Ian.