Dashboard brightness

Wanderer

On my 2006 QP, the speedo, tacho etc light are quite dim even up full, I like 'em as bright as possible, not sure if I have some bulbs out but the lighting is even, if dim, no darker bits.

Is this normal?

2b1ask1

Special case
I'd have thought there was a dimmer/stat on the car for the dash but having said that I cannot recall seeing one on the 4200 or GS but most cars have them.

Wanderer

I'd have thought there was a dimmer/stat on the car for the dash but having said that I cannot recall seeing one on the 4200 or GS but most cars have them.

There are on the QP. two buttons up and down on the panel to left of steering column, trouble is they only go up to about 5, and I want them to go up to 11 at least....

Wanderer

Is this happening while the car is cold perchance? Or all the time?

C

Permanently, like that's as bright as they'll go. They're ok, but I just like really bright ones, like on my old Cadillac CTS, personal thing I suppose.

I'll take pic/vid when I get a mo, getting ready for trip back to UK....

CatmanV2

I like mine less bright but having an issue where when the temp is below about 5C there is no background illumination on the dials at all. The needles are fine, and the dials get brighter as the cabin warms.

Very odd. Thought it might be a 'feature' :D The A8 loaner I had last year could alter the red line on the dial depending on engine temp :)

C

CatmanV2

This may help - remember seeing something - I really need to get a life......lol

http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/23105-Dash-brightness

This may crack you up.

The GT has automatic lights (if you turn them on). First time I took it to Giallo I asked him to check why the dash illumination didn't come on with the lights.

Matt's face said it all. Turns out that the GT determines if you need the interior lights and exterior lights on using totally different systems. I don't *think* I've had dash illumination on without the headlights, but I've certainly had the headlights on and struggled to see the dash because the car decided that it wasn't dark enough. And there's not a thing you can do about it (AFAIK)

C

D Walker

Haha, how bizarre,
My Golf has auto lights and wipers, sometimes the wipers decide they need to go so fast I struggle to see anything but flashing wipers until I turn them off auto.
Will autonomous cars need wipers, windows even..

rd993

This may crack you up.

The GT has automatic lights (if you turn them on). First time I took it to Giallo I asked him to check why the dash illumination didn't come on with the lights.

Matt's face said it all. Turns out that the GT determines if you need the interior lights and exterior lights on using totally different systems. I don't *think* I've had dash illumination on without the headlights, but I've certainly had the headlights on and struggled to see the dash because the car decided that it wasn't dark enough. And there's not a thing you can do about it (AFAIK)

C

I had that this weekend. Exterior lights on and interior dash lights off. I was busy delving into the sub-menus in the settings as I assumed there was a fix... I should have known better!

Spartacus

My 4200 clocks have a dark spot about 4000k on the rev counter , No bulbs out , its just cr4p ;P

conaero

Forum Owner
You may have something inside the clock that has come adrift and is obscuring the illumination.

ratbag

I had that this weekend. Exterior lights on and interior dash lights off. I was busy delving into the sub-menus in the settings as I assumed there was a fix... I should have known better!

Actually there is a way to get the dash lights to come on on a gloomy (but not dark )day. I also got fed up with turning on the lights on a gloomy day but the dash lights do not come on because it "thinks" its not dark enough.
There is a twilight sensor on the back of the interior mirror at the top of the windscreen. It cant be accessed from the inside but putting a discrete dark sticker over it on the windscreen fools the dash lights. Dash lights come on whenever lights are on.
Only downside is the Satnav/radio display goes into dimmed "nightime" mode all the time though