Advice please

iainw

I would appreciate some advice from learned forum members.
As some of you know, I have been searching for a Cali replacement for several months and have
Finally decided on a car. I am itching to buy it and have everything in place, but I have got an opportunity to work in Paris for January to March inclusive in 2018.
My obvious problem is I won't be back much at all to drive it (even if it can be driven over winter) -
1) is it worth considering buying it now (hoping winter prices are lower)
2) wait until March
If I bought it now- should I ask for it to be kept indoors in the showroom- and would they do this?
At home even in the garage it wouldn't be moved for weeks at a time and I am worried about tyres and brakes etc.
Don't anyone suggest taking it to Paris. I would not be safe...

D Walker

Buy it, pop back with quick flights, move it etc,
or,
put it in storage where they offer you a maint program, starting / moving etc or as you say - ask the dealer where it is, all though I would want it home, Andy K is close, sure he would pop round for you, and he is a Meguire's guru.....

Edit - Paris is not an option - you need my Golf for that....

Serkie

Why wait, if the car is the right one and you're happy, buy it now.

It's only a few months of limited use, guessing it's something special so not a bad thing to leave it tucked away from the salty, slippery roads. I wouldn't worry about leaving it dormant for such a short amount of time.

Good luck!

JonW

Iain - easy fix. Buy it, store it at my house, and I will drive it twice a month for you...

allandwf

Buy it, speak with dealer, depending on what it is they may well be happy to keep it indoors for you. You can only ask...

hashluck

As above.

But it depends if you think this is the one and it is a cracking deal. Alternative is to do nothing and let the fun begin again in March :)

safrane

Three months is nothing when it comes to storage... mine is left to slumber far longer in the garage at the main home when I am in London over the winter.

iainw

Thanks all. Seems like it might be a good idea to buy now. It would be annoying however if the prices had dropped come March and I hadn’t used it. What will the effect of the 39 billion pound brexit divorce have I wonder...

rockits

I think winter is always a good time to push for a hard deal. More so than spring when it starts getting more positive in the air.

D Walker

Been wondering that myself, buy or wait, but time stands still for no man,
We could ramble ad infinitum about Brexit but this is about this car,
On the other hand how will you feel if the prices stay static( likely) on Ferrari/ Macca but the one you like has gone....

bigbob

If you are buying it to keep for a couple of years or more then buy it now. If it is likely to be gone before this time next year then pass and spend some of the winter evenings searching the net for something to buy on your return. Of course this car might still be there come the spring which would be the ideal option.

iainw

If you are buying it to keep for a couple of years or more then buy it now. If it is likely to be gone before this time next year then pass and spend some of the winter evenings searching the net for something to buy on your return. Of course this car might still be there come the spring which would be the ideal option.

Agree on both counts bob.
This time I ‘want’ it to stay for a long while. And I can’t see how it won’t unless I win the lotto. I would like to scratch the Maclaren itch but I can’t see the timing being right. The only thing to consider is moving into an early portofino.

bigbob

Then buy it and enjoy it! Your requirements on spec are probably such that another may take sometime to come along if you miss this one. Anyway, most owners won't touch their cars Jan-Mar so it's normal behaviour. Looking forward to the photos!!

outrun

I haven't even seen my car since October, never mind driven it. It won't be back home until January sometime and even then it will be tucked up in it's newly completed garage. Back out when the council stop covering the streets with salt and not before. I say buy it!

iainw

Good point both. I have just always driven my cars all year round before - probably stupidly.
I just need the day now to get down there and sign on the dotted line!