Intro - and problem!

Wanderer

Bought a 2006 QP, 100k miles but out of the three I tried, easily the best (not many in Ireland), full service history, one owner (the head guy at Three Ireland). It's a nice ice blue, beige interior, new clutch on 98k, but I have this issue. Dealer sorting it but I'm wondering if the Borg mind here can offer any insight for my own knowledge.

Basically, it seems after every longish journey either immediately after or the next day I get the dreaded 'Transmission Failure' warning, followed by MSP, ASR, Suspension, go to dealer and won't start but engine turns enthusiastically. Today in the middle lane North Strand, Dublin. Took four of us to push it off the road, my coolness factor taking a **** of a dive....

Recovery peeps took it to Ken Plant here in Dubs, and apparently there it started and ran fine. It did the other time it was trailered in UK, dropped it off at Autoshield M/cr last week and they said it was clutch position sensor, replaced it and it drove the best ever, buttery changes (normal/sports of course). Of course it drove off the trailer BTW almost like time or movement resets or reseats something - fell in love with it again tho.

The only other time it happened it did it on my drive in UK, exact same warning lights, next day, fine. So that's three times in six weeks.

Autoshield also told me F1 pump was showing intermittent low pressure and will need replacing eventually and that's the first thing Ken Plant said this morning. I can hear it prime but not this morning cos of the traffic noise.

I'm thinking it is the pump. Any advices?

CatmanV2

I had the same issues barring the no start and trans failure when my regulator went.

C

conaero

Forum Owner
If Marios points to the pump then I would take his advice. It’s not too dear about £500 fitted with the Alfa pump.

Only other area of concern would be the actuator and more so the pots. It leaks internally giving intermittent starting where the car doesn’t know if it’s in gear or not.

How do I know this...my Strad is playing up with this and I am going to have to drop the gearbox.

Wanderer

Yeah he knows his stuff, as does Ken Plant here in Dublin, real enthusiasts...

Here's a vid of the lights the first time it happened, PS I don't use auto mode, was next day....

[video=youtube_share;2b8BykfMPWU]http://youtu.be/2b8BykfMPWU[/video]

Wanderer

Sorry to hear of your woes - had this once with my car - stuck in gear and would not start - recovered home and started first time! Changed the F1 pump and the relay and not had problems since. There is a good guide to the system online here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B5GPboYnq_qeNE0zQ0EzWk9MT0U?usp=sharing

This also gives you an idea of what the priming intervals should be ...

Cheers mate!

Thing is mine will allow me to select N, R or 1 (or D) on the paddles/stick even though it won't start - for parking purposes. Obvs I only try to start it in N...

Think I'll order up a few relays, let the dealer replace the F1 pump, I've only had it 2 months and about one month of that it's been unusable as it's been either non-functioning, at Autoshield, or Charles Hurst in Belfast and now Ken Plant here in Dubs. Dealer been great BTW, not trying to duck out but I sense they might be making a loss on this one now so I might as well try and get what I can done ASAP.

At least clutch and sensor are sorted, I know F1 pumps are an issue, hopefully that will be sorted, the two biggest issues, just leaves me with (any help appreciated!).....

1. Driver window up is only working in 2 sec bursts and you have to pull the switch in certain way, siliconed the window channels - no difference, switch doesn't feel lose, like it did on my Alfa 166 when that stopped working, and it feels like the same switch, can you replace just the switch?

2. TPMS - I know - mine won't calibrate, not a big issue but the warning light bugs me. I have heard an odd tingling sound sometimes from the front, and Marios tells me part of the sensor has come off OSF and is in the wheel somewhere causing the tinkle and the lack of calibration. How to fix though, I've never seen a TPMS sensor in the flesh but I imagine it's all external and if it's broken off, it can't be trapped anywhere? Worst case I suppose is a new sensor...

If I get to sort the pump and TPMS I'll have my first Italian car with no warning lights, and I've had a shed load of Alfa's, Lancia's and one BiTurbo (awful).

conaero

Forum Owner
With that many errors popping up you have something causing it all.

I would try a battery reset first and check the tightness of the terminals and battery earth, the piggyback wires and go round and check and wiggly all the multiplugs.

Wanderer

With that many errors popping up you have something causing it all.

I would try a battery reset first and check the tightness of the terminals and battery earth, the piggyback wires and go round and check and wiggly all the multiplugs.

Thing is as soon as issue is resolved, ie this time clutch position sensor, all lights go away. Previously I had a coil failure with MSP, ASR and Susp as above - as soon as replaced all went away.

Find out tmrw, will feed back...

Wanderer

Well, it's not the fuel pump, Ken Plant suspects battery or a charging issue as Conaero said. Or pump relay!

Wanderer

It's the engine speed sensor apparently. Glad it turned out to be something, of course the car ran perfectly at Ken Plant's place but thankfully conked out today and did exactly what it had done to me previously, miriyad of lights, no start etc. Thought I was going bonkers!