Winter overhaul - front subframe

Gp79

After making the rear of me GS look like new I am now doing the same to the front...

This time with a new front subframe (had a hole poked in it at 2016 MOT).

Then powder coat / plate or replace anything else with corrosion.

I blame Fat Arnie for inspiring me last year!

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

FIFTY

Would like to take that sort of thing on but I don't have enough knowledge/confidence let alone the workshop to go along with it.

Gp79

Being a marine engineer certainly helps (not IT as you can see by the photos!)

Got the space and time so that also helps, should be easier than last year as the new sub frame can be fitted quite quickly once I clean up and paint up the mounting points on the body.

It is still a big job and I was nervous of supporting the engine, hence engine crane as well as jacks.

I'll post photos (upside down) as the job goes on.

azapa

could you have the new sub-frame stripped and hot-galvanized? Just a stupid thought, but I have had many non-car related steel jobs hot galvanized, and that stuff really does last for ever, even self-heals nicks and scratches. Quite incredible.

redsonnylee

That project is very impressive, in another life I’d be an engineer rather than a bean counter.

Gp79

Great work. Did any of the subframe bolts snap?

Luckily, no snapped subframe bolts, I took each out and sprayed plenty of penetrating oil earlier in the year, all came out quite easily and frame almost fell off.

Snapped off one on the bolts securing the roll bar drop link to wishbone bracket, so will have fun removing that and the rest of them, presume the dissimilar metals of wishbone to bolt have just welded to each other.

Found lower shock bushes shot so will replace those, hopefully that explains an annoying squeak when first moving off over bumpy road after car stood for a week or so.

Gp79

Progress

Who mentioned sheared bolts???

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

And that was after a lot of heat, penetrant.

Most parts now ready for either zinc plate, powder coat or clean.

IMG_1371.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
Good work, inevitable sheared bolts, I'm sure Maserati specified ones made of cheese! I prefer to weld a nut onto them (screwed on 2/3 depth and puddle welded) and have another go at winding them out, the heat of the weld often gets the job done.

May be worth a trip to Cromwell tools and buy a set of flaw detector sprays; 1-3 and check the seams of the wishbones as the rubbers look quite surface perished https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/welding-brazing-and-soldering/leak-detectors-flawfinders-and-freezer-fluids/flaw-detector-developer-no-3-400ml/p/AMB7011122C

Gp79

Good work, inevitable sheared bolts, I'm sure Maserati specified ones made of cheese! I prefer to weld a nut onto them (screwed on 2/3 depth and puddle welded) and have another go at winding them out, the heat of the weld often gets the job done.

May be worth a trip to Cromwell tools and buy a set of flaw detector sprays; 1-3 and check the seams of the wishbones as the rubbers look quite surface perished https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/welding-brazing-and-soldering/leak-detectors-flawfinders-and-freezer-fluids/flaw-detector-developer-no-3-400ml/p/AMB7011122C

No access to a welder so as Voicey suggests try the left handed drill trick, so long as I drill centre and straight should be fine.

They must be made of cheese! No much torque and sheared

The bushes do look a bit 'frilly' but the arms have no signs of cracking at first glance, the bushes are all tight as well with the exception of one of the uppers which needs new bushes fitted.

good idea with the dye penetrant kit, will definitely think about that.

Gp79

Slowly coming together, sheared bolts removed and new subframe installed, engine secure.

Now rebuilding suspension.

Next problem both the front lower ball joint covers are torn, any ideas where to get these separately??? Don't want to spend big money on new wish bones just for a couple of pound part.

Cheers Greg

image.jpg

Gp79

Slowly moving on.

Replaced lower ball joint covers with generic ones made by Rhino, were a good fit. Can post the part number if any one interested.

Now just need my order of parts including lower shock bushes then should be done in a couple more evenings....

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

midlifecrisis

Good Work Greg, I'm looking at doing similar. I'm surprised you didn't change them, I know 'Maserati' ones are expensive but I believe that the 'pattern' ones are available. I seem to remember that poly ones are available too from Superpro. Please put all part numbers down for future reference.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well done, an excellent job and one done best over the winter. I urge any of you out there who's cars are keepers to consider doing this.

We are hearing more and more subframe issues on the 4200's. Also consider replacing your wishbones too for extra longevity as due to the age of our cars are really at the end of life.