Used 3200 feature...Pistonheads.

FIFTY

Good article the comments aren't too brutal either well as far as I read anyway.

I have noticed 3200 values have picked up over the past 6 months

miket

A few ‘A' holes have commented also, wonder how their XR2s are fairing?
Mostly a sympathetic review of a vastly under rated car, loved mine at the time even with all its frailties.

Robbe

Saying (in the comments) that the auto is a better bet, well that is open for debate, isn't it...

alfatwo

Saying (in the comments) that the auto is a better bet, well that is open for debate, isn't it...

Especially if like me you have a manual gearbox, believe me and I have driven both.

Driving a manual 3200GT is difficult, the steering's too light and cars always trying to kill you if you try and drive too fast!

If your up for a old school challenge and like to be frightened to death on a regular basis a Maser 3200GT fits the bill completely :biggrin:

Dave

allandwf

I also agree, the manual can be a real pita around town, but who buys one to trundle to the shops? Out on the twistys though it's the best for me.

Andyk

It is but most reviews and people say it is.....I had a manual and wouldn't have had an Auto over it...So I am in the manual camp but not many are.

miket

My preference was the manual also, after test driving both the difference was like Jeckyll and Hyde!

Merak Memories

There is a post in the comments section of the article that sums up 3200 ownership very well and that is that you must really want to own one to put up with the many, many issues that will arise. If you are not totally committed, then the ownership experience will soon become a series of problematic issues.
I suppose the question is are there enough "pros", given the number of "cons", and the response to this question will be an entirely personal one.
MM

Lozzer

There is a post in the comments section of the article that sums up 3200 ownership very well and that is that you must really want to own one to put up with the many, many issues that will arise. If you are not totally committed, then the ownership experience will soon become a series of problematic issues.
I suppose the question is are there enough "pros", given the number of "cons", and the response to this question will be an entirely personal one.
MM

What are the " many, many issues" exactly? Apart from the obvious like tb and tp, I just don't understand all the negativity?

sospanbach

I wouldn,t swop my 3200 for any other Maserati got it serviced last year of marios ran it all year weather permitting no issues perfect in every way what I read on hear the 42,s have a lot more issues than 3200,s

Lozzer

Me neither, I get the impression folk want to stick a key in and drive 365 days a year, which is possible if you keep on top of it, but come on , I'm tired of all the bleating, it needlessly drags the 3200 down, Petrol Head = 3200, Grey personality type , keyholder = something else (was going to say 4200 but didn't want to upset the fraternity) Buy a Porsche and torture yourself over the sterility of it....

FIFTY

The way I see it is that the M138 chasis comes in a few guises one just picks their flavour. Each variant has its own character in the evolution of the chasis over its life cycle.

Did they make the 4200 more "sterile"... for sure they would have... it was a change in the times no more "widow maker" cars were being allowed onto the road so they improved the handling and gave it a more linear power delivery.... a year into its production they did further adjustments such as a revised traction control (MSP) replacing ASP improving safety further.... the TCS' from this new era were so obtrusive the second they sense slip it's like they drop the ban hammer it's almost dangerous if you are trying to pull away in a hurry and it will leave you stranded with the traction control light flashing at you (not just referring to maserati but most 2002-2006 cars)

With the multitude of improvements in the 4.2 we lost the quality of the interior and the single piece body of the 3.2 and the GS is the undoing of some of those errors.

If I had money to burn and an infinite parts bin I'd buy one of those 3200 shells from SopranoStu and build it up into a hybrid 3200/GranSport... I know the purists would hate it but it'd be the ultimate M138 Coupe for me

Lozzer

The way I see it is that the M138 chasis comes in a few guises one just picks their flavour. Each variant has its own character in the evolution of the chasis over its life cycle.

Did they make the 4200 more "sterile"... for sure they would have... it was a change in the times no more "widow maker" cars were being allowed onto the road so they improved the handling and gave it a more linear power delivery.... a year into its production they did further adjustments such as a revised traction control (MSP) replacing ASP improving safety further.... the TCS' from this new era were so obtrusive the second they sense slip it's like they drop the ban hammer it's almost dangerous if you are trying to pull away in a hurry and it will leave you stranded with the traction control light flashing at you (not just referring to maserati but most 2002-2006 cars)

With the multitude of improvements in the 4.2 we lost the quality of the interior and the single piece body of the 3.2 and the GS is the undoing of some of those errors.

If I had money to burn and an infinite parts bin I'd buy one of those 3200 shells from SopranoStu and build it up into a hybrid 3200/GranSport... I know the purists would hate it but it'd be the ultimate M138 Coupe for me

Ahmen to that.... :smile: