Frozen windscreen prevention

JonW

All

With the drop in the temperature, I've been having to de-ice the windows on my little Mini first thing in the morning, and when I get back to the station at night.

I'm thinking of using one of those blankets / screen protectors, and wondered whether anyone has any suggestions. I'd like something ideally that also covers the side windows and the mirrors, and have seen some on eBay / Amazon, but part of me thinks I could just use an old fleece blanket...

What do others do?

D Walker

Dunno, but it's official, we have proper snow now!!
Chucking it down and laying alarmingly quickly.

outrun

My Mini had the winter pack which is a heated windscreen, washer jets and mirrors. Swap your Mini for one with that pack!

Or you could just try an old sheet!

agooner

I turn the ignition on then get the wipers in the centre of the windscreen, then switch off ignition. Lift the wiper blades, lay an old blanket over the screen then put the blades back on top. Open the front doors then trap the blanket on the top of the doors when they are closed.

D Walker

I start my car, scrape it, scrape the wife's - get in mine - take my jumper of, wait until it clears and drive.....

Scaf

At home it’s easy - whilst cars are behind a locked gate - start car, turn on heated seats and steering wheel - go inside and have breakfast - then unlock gate, get into lovey warm Jag and off to work - much harder away from home but I rely on the sit in it till it’s warm, not scraped a screen or used deicer for years.

The blanket / sheet method would work but the idea of a damp blacket in the boot is not appealing.

zagatoes30

Heated windows, seats and steering wheel so its just a case of starting it up and pressing a few buttons. It also has a timer function that you can set all these things to happen even before you get in, well apart from the starting, but I have never actually tried it.

JonW

Thanks all - collectively you’ve convinced me I need to sell the Mini and buy a fully spec’ed Range Rover as my station car!

Or maybe I could persuade the wife to let my Mini to have the second space in the garage, and the family car can sit in the icy cold (because that has all the bells and whistles - including being able to control it via my mobile (Land Rover Remote))...

Wish me luck!

AndyG

Sit in my comfy arm chair in the warmth, talk to my car via my phone and ask it to start, switch the heated seats on, heated front and rear screens, and get the temp to 22 deg then stroll out 10 mins later to a nice warm and clear car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrMickS

You're missing the wonderful sound out of the exhaust whilst you're waiting inside. Oh wait, it's not a Maserati anymore so you aren't ;)

I just sit in the car and browse whilst the heater clears the windscreen. Its all fine. Well except for the 'Service Tire Pressure System' message that has appeared again now that its cold.

AndyG

You're missing the wonderful sound out of the exhaust whilst you're waiting inside. Oh wait, it's not a Maserati anymore so you aren't

I just sit in the car and browse whilst the heater clears the windscreen. Its all fine. Well except for the 'Service Tire Pressure System' message that has appeared again now that its cold.

The QP is tucked up nice and warm in my unit, it only likes the warmth, it's Italian don't forget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk