3200 non start

RMC

Parked it in its cartlodge on Thursday, now it won't start: battery fine, plenty of 'starter spin' but not even attempting ignition.' Code' light comes on, but only briefly ?

redsonnylee

Have you tried a battery reset, which model year and where are you as I have the 3 pin connector if you need this.

davy83

code light? could be the immobiliser? does the key battery affect this? cant remember. Could be the little sensor around the ignition switch, there is a thread here some where on this. Have you tried the spare key?

CatmanV2

Nothing to do with the key battery. I *think* the CODE lights stays on if that's the problem but I could be wrong.

Certainly the turnover without start could be caused by the immobiliser failing to recognise the chip

C

davy83

yes i think the code light stays on, or the little padlock lights up, so not sure. I know my car wouldnt start some times when the chip in the key was not recognised, and new keys all round sorted that out. but not firing at all does suggest to me that its immobilised rather than an engine problem, my car always fires even if occasionally it does not start.

Rex B

Check the battery.my 3200 will turn over when the battery voltage is below 12 volts but won't start unless the voltage is over 12 volts . when the voltage is low l also sometimes get key code light on.

Rex B
Manual 3200

alfatwo

Check the battery.my 3200 will turn over when the battery voltage is below 12 volts but won't start unless the voltage is over 12 volts . when the voltage is low l also sometimes get key code light on.

Rex B
Manual 3200

Same here Rex..

Dave

sospanbach

ye and mine battery has to be on top line to start hence the trickle charging, anything less and she would rather not start

beau

Same here too, try charge the battery

Might need replacing though, I replaced mine with a larger battery and helped a lot

RMC

Brilliant. That's it. Less than an hour on the charger and off she goes ! Thank you everyone for your input.

redsonnylee

I used to always keep mine on a trickle charger failing that one of those new Rav battery chargers is very useful. Keep a check on the battery to make sure it's keeping charge. Glad to hear all is fixed now.

jluis

Same thing when the starter starts cranking slower.
Replaced mine because of that

Lusso916

Similar problem, use everyday and its fine, 2 days not used & it turns over 3-4 times then starts with key light on, stop & restart no key light & fine rest of day. I have a new larger Bosch battery. Will try battery disconnect for on hour.

Lusso916

Davy, hand book says to disconnect battery leads when charging, do you do the same with a trickle charger or have you rigged up a plug in system.

allandwf

My Ctek has a hard wired socket from the battery in the boot. It is just plugged in every time it's left.

Twinturbo

I can also atest to the volts need to be optimum for it to kick over I have had many frustrating non starts on an older dieing battery add a big cca one trickle charge and never had a prob since they are such a sensitive/fussy car Also wait for the ignition check engine light to turn off before attempting to kick over ,best of luck in future mate

davy83

Following recommendations on this forum I got my self a CTEK charger which trickle charges and can be connected to the battery in situ, without disconnecting the leads, it works!

Davy, hand book says to disconnect battery leads when charging, do you do the same with a trickle charger or have you rigged up a plug in system.

Reactions: rwr