Jet wash

Scaf

I have never had the balls to use a machine in my cars - would love to have the skill and confidence though !

sofasurfer

I have never had the balls to use a machine in my cars - would love to have the skill and confidence though !

Using a DA polisher is simple as. No real worry about damaging paintwork with one and the results after using it are amazing.

I don't use a DA either. Despite it being pretty fool-hardy I know of examples where the DIYer has taken off the paint down to bare metal at edges, gone too thin taking away layers of paint (paint gauge tells the story) and so I stick only to hand polishing.

D Walker

I don't use a DA either. Despite it being pretty fool-hardy I know of examples where the DIYer has taken off the paint down to bare metal at edges, gone too thin taking away layers of paint (paint gauge tells the story) and so I stick only to hand polishing.

Sure it was a DA and not an Orbital - I believe DA's tend not too generate as much heat, and you should notice when you are no longer working the polish, you should feel it for a start.

EnzoMC

I've offered basic training before for SM on DA , rotory machine polishing - happy to do another day if needed, let me know - its free to SM members - background I am a pro detailer in MK area and worked on Maclaren's down

I have test panel and lots of various machines, pads and polishes to try and go over some pit falls and cover what Matt posted

as sofadurfer said DA is safe tool to us, just need to little research and a test car - you should be good to go. to burn through paint on a DA is possible but isn't easy unless its an panel edge which is very thin, tape the edges or stay clear and do these parts by hand until you get more confident.

JonW

I've offered basic training before for SM on DA , rotory machine polishing - happy to do another day if needed, let me know - its free to SM members - background I am a pro detailer in MK area and worked on Maclaren's down

I have test panel and lots of various machines, pads and polishes to try and go over some pit falls and cover what Matt posted

as sofadurfer said DA is safe tool to us, just need to little research and a test car - you should be good to go. to burn through paint on a DA is possible but isn't easy unless its an panel edge which is very thin, tape the edges or stay clear and do these parts by hand until you get more confident.

Yes please - I’d be interested in this...

Sure it was a DA and not an Orbital - I believe DA's tend not too generate as much heat, and you should notice when you are no longer working the polish, you should feel it for a start.

Yes DA. I'm not sure if the guys who used it knew when they were no longer working the polish.

A good surgeon friend of mine after hearing this thread has offered lessons in how to use a scalpel and in one cut get down to the rectus abdominus sheath (in the abdomen) by just the right amount of pressure!

D Walker

I guess all of us have skills where we know the exact bite point of certain activities, I prep cable with an old swiss army knife, I know guys who will only use cable strippers as they always cut through to the cores underneath.

D Walker

Well if Jon wants to set something up for a Sat (late morning maybe) will see what I can do - probably best in New Year tho'

MGT

yep I'm in MK, looking on Google you are about 3hrs away so yep some distance to come but more than welcome....

I am not far from you and having just had the car detailed wish I would have known this sooner! I would love to join the next day.

Scaf

I would love to take you up in this, either on a 121 or in a group. I am only down the road in Hemel.
How much do you charge to detail GTS incl touching in a couple of chips on the bonnet.

JonW

ok if no more interest can sort a saturday out with you...

Well if Jon wants to set something up for a Sat (late morning maybe) will see what I can do - probably best in New Year tho'

I am not far from you and having just had the car detailed wish I would have known this sooner! I would love to join the next day.

MK I really should get over there.

C

I would love to take you up in this, either on a 121 or in a group. I am only down the road in Hemel.
How much do you charge to detail GTS incl touching in a couple of chips on the bonnet.

I'd be up for a group training session. MK is not far for me about 45 mins away.

So seems like we have some interest in this - is the best thing to do to try and pick a Saturday? How about Saturday 20th January?

keith

Sorry a bit late to this thread, but I would certainly interested in coming along. Presumably you are 'PM' messaging those who are interested.
Being located in Harrow your not far.
Regards
Keith