FD DBW Module

FIFTY

Yes, FD themselves say that DBW is stage 1 and ECM stage 2 (so they keep telling me to buy the DBW to complete the package)... once the FD harness is installed the loom has connectors and dipswitches for both ECM and DBW so if you buy one and install it the other is essentially "plug and play"

FIFTY

15% off the DBW and 20% off the ECM

Tempted to buy the DBW it will only be £600 for a manual 4200, what you guys think? I'm not sure I want a really sensitive throttle response it is savage enough with the exhaust upgrade, that said a "comfort" would not be a bad idea but not if the "sport" mode is too much...

Caldy999

15% off the DBW and 20% off the ECM

Tempted to buy the DBW it will only be £600 for a manual 4200, what you guys think? I'm not sure I want a really sensitive throttle response it is savage enough with the exhaust upgrade, that said a "comfort" would not be a bad idea but not if the "sport" mode is too much...

£600??? They quote $1295 less 15% which is around £820+. Then duty and carriage on top, unless that is only for the CC????

FIFTY

The F1 DBW is $1295 but only $895 for the manual

I found a review from a manual owner think ill pass im happy with the standard throttle map and the sport setting sounds like its only good for track (twitchy) http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/coupe-spyder-gs/4360-drive-wire-coupe-gt.html

What do you think of the sway bars? 20% off those so 800USD but the rear is a ***** to fit so if I buy them I'd likely just run the front one until I have to change the clutch

Caldy999

Having spoken to FD this evening, they will not supply direct to the UK - you need to go through their authorised distributors, Larini.

FIFTY

Well that has scuppered that plan for the moment guess Larini got fed up of FD supplying direct into the UK.

Also did Larini advertise the sale? Im sure I looked on their site during the sales and there was no mention of it!

2b1ask1

Special case
I have one from the GS sitting in my office, make me an offer. THe loom is with it but it does not have the tags on it as they were lost to the insulation tape! FD will take it direct to test and re-label the loom for an agreed fee plus postage I have negotiated with them :)

StuartW

Well that has scuppered that plan for the moment guess Larini got fed up of FD supplying direct into the UK.

Also did Larini advertise the sale? Im sure I looked on their site during the sales and there was no mention of it!

They told me on the last day of the sale when I happened to be enquiring but no, I didn't see any mention of it publicly

RRO

Bringing this thread back from the dead. FD DBWEM vs Chinese plug and play.

I know, I know it's a bad idea to even mention a cheap Chinese plug and play shifter here. Has anyone tried it? All I want is improved throttle response from the snail slug speed delay of the stock throttle response. FD DBWEM is the obvious choice but before I spend $1K I have to know if any of the numerous plug and play throttle response modules actually work or not. Ebay has a variety and I see one called "Race Pedal Performance Throttle Response Control" for $130.

I've been searching but don't see many plug and play reviews which basically answers my question.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I wouldn't.
All they do is change the normal 0 to 100% pedal movement/throttle opening so they give basically 0 to 50% pedal movement for 0 to 100% throttle opening.
Just shove the throttle pedal more for the same result!

Ebenezer

For $130 what have you got to lose?
(BTW I have had the DBW so long now I can't remember what it's like without it)

Never found an aduequate explanation as to what the DBW does that's different to the sort of device you are talking about. There's talk of remapping something to trick something else that the actual revs are higher etc. Whatever it does I like the way it does it!

Eb

CatmanV2

Bringing this thread back from the dead. FD DBWEM vs Chinese plug and play.

Totally different things. The DBW spoofs the throttle opening and rpm signals to the gearbox to trick it into the fastest shift times. The pedal commander is as Mr H states

C

Zep

Given that this particular car will have an auto box I imagine the benefits are even less clear cut than on a Duoselect QP. Probably just “adjusts” the throttle map.

RRO

I wouldn't.
All they do is change the normal 0 to 100% pedal movement/throttle opening so they give basically 0 to 50% pedal movement for 0 to 100% throttle opening.
Just shove the throttle pedal more for the same result!
There is still a delay whether you slam the pedal or change the throttle opening if that is what they do so if you are correct it's trash. I ordered a Spring Booster and try it. If it's trash, I'll return it.

CatmanV2

Given that this particular car will have an auto box I imagine the benefits are even less clear cut than on a Duoselect QP. Probably just “adjusts” the throttle map.

I'm pretty the ZF can be programmed so shift faster in Sport mode. If they did on the QP I have no idea.

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
There is still a delay whether you slam the pedal or change the throttle opening if that is what they do so if you are correct it's trash. I ordered a Spring Booster and try it. If it's trash, I'll return it.
Yes it's true.
Even my BMW does this.
In 'comfort' the throttle opening is linear with the throttle pedal.
In 'sport' it's not linear, press the throttle pedal a bit and it's off...just like pressing in 'comfort' 'a lot'