The new Maserati GranTurismo

Classico

We all know the current GT is way passed it's used by date.

Would be great to hear SOMETHING from Modena GHQ regarding a replacement/specs/ designs etc.

Whatever they do, pray they keep the new GT a strictly Ferrari only parts sharing job for sales/cache/perception.

Heaven knows the Ghibli has been torn a new ahole by Youtuber Doug de Muro and others on social media (rightly or wrongly) due to the Chrysler parts bin job.

MrMickS

You say that its way past its used by date, but is it really? Yes its 10 years old, but today's car isn't the same as the launch model. A new one is due but it can still run for another couple of years if the latest facelift is anything to go by.

Doug de Muro is very clever in that he rips on cars to generate outrage and get plays of his videos. This gets him money. His 'review' is complete and utter bull. He spends all the time complaining about the parts bin, the fact that it doesn't have this driver aid, that driver aid, and the other driver aid. All true but completely irrelevant. All you need is to press the start button and all of that becomes irrelevant.

Merak Memories

the exterior still looks OK but the inside was described as dated a number of years ago. When you sit in a new car now you see how time has caught up with the GT. That said, as a quirky classic for not much money its a great option.
mm

Classico

Yep - it's way past its use by date. Even the staff at the Modena headquarters admitted as much whan I was there in October last year.

They need a replacement ...and desperately.

And agree that for a quirky classic for not much money - it is a great option.

Andyk

A new GT or sports car can't come soon enough.....I never every though the day would come when the best car in the Maserati range is an SUV according to the press.....What is the world coming to.....

Andyk

Well the new petrol SUV us being toted as the best car Maserati make....The updated Ghibli has been reviewed in EVO saying better but still no match for the competition......GT is lovely but at the end of its life cycle....Great to see a Maserati being sighted as good as the competition.....but an SUV........Never ever thought I would say that..Think I am going to go to bed and stay there until they bring out a proper GT or sportscar but I fear I may never wake up as they seem to be moving away from that market.

When did Maserati make a sports car....The 70's maybe......The 80's/90's saw saloon cars and coupes that looked like the saloon cars....The 90's came along and we saw glimpses of greatness in the Ghibli Cup and Shamal but still saloon type cars with two doors........Then they found they style again with the 3200......Maserati making a beUtifull car again.....we saw 4200, Gransport and a beautiful 4 door in the QP.....cars you could love and aspire to again......not perfect but talk of the GS being a true 911 competitor filled the heart with passion and pride......What next ?? ..... The GT came along and just blew us away with it style and beauty and started building a customer base that was not just the enthusiast.....Maserati were back and making beautiful cars.........back to what they did well ..... and now......An SUV that's brilliant to drive but no sports car....a saloon car that's looks good but is no match for the market they are aiming at and a QP that's moved away from its core attributes that made it different from the rest......GT still looks great but will they sell many....I doubt it as it because of its aging technology......welcome over all the modern stuff but only for the Maserati enthusiast.......Maserati need a new halo GT/Sports car quickly in the range to balance the saloon and 4x4 or they run the risk of loosing what they have built up through the last 30 years again and will become just another maker saloons and SUV ..........I understand they need the current range but it just feels like they are aroding away what they have built up already and that for me is sad.

Contigo

Sponsor
It's all about aspiration of ownership for me. When I first saw the 3200 on the roads I knew I wanted one and the same for the GT/S but now the current range I honestly don't really care if I own one or not in the same was as say a Mercedes S class or BMW 5 series. The sooner FCA wake up smell the coffee and realise they are going down the wrong garden path the better for all of us as brand enthusiasts. They are diluting and devaluing the brand on a weekly basis and the NEED a new halo model to replace the now aging GT model.

Maserati FFS get your finger out of your posterior and launch a new sports/GT model to rival the likes of Porsche, Jag and Mercedes.

safrane

My real fear is that Maserati just becomes a trim option of the Alfa range, or some half a r s e d re badging of the same.

Andyk

It's all about aspiration of ownership for me. When I first saw the 3200 on the roads I knew I wanted one and the same for the GT/S but now the current range I honestly don't really care if I own one or not in the same was as say a Mercedes S class or BMW 5 series. The sooner FCA wake up smell the coffee and realise they are going down the wrong garden path the better for all of us as brand enthusiasts. They are diluting and devaluing the brand on a weekly basis and the NEED a new halo model to replace the now aging GT model.

Maserati FFS get your finger out of your posterior and launch a new sports/GT model to rival the likes of Porsche, Jag and Mercedes.

Completely right Phil....Same for me...As soon as I saw the 3200 I wanted one so much.....its that aspiration which they just have currently......you know buy a new one because you need a 4 door saloon or a 4x4.......I just do not aspire to own them at the moment....Hope that changes soon.....I want to feel the same as I did when I first saw a Ghibli Cup, a 3200, a Gransport, a GT, a Stradale.......That has gone.....

MrMickS

The snobbery and rose-tinted spectacles are strong in this thread.

When have Maserati ever built a pure sportscar? Sure there have been some dalliances with it, perhaps the last Spyder is a sports car, the Shamal maybe. Maserati historically built and sold cars to fund racing, or built racing cars for customer. This all changed in the late '50s. Since then Maserati has been in the business of building luxury grand tourers and saloons. Putting powerful engines into everyday cars.

The first Maserati's I lusted after were the BiTurbo's I used to drive past on the way to work in Manchester in the early 90s. IIRC the dealer was round by UMIST and on the cut through I took to get to the office. These were crazy cars with massive horsepower, for the times, in boxy looking saloons, with luxury fittings. Very fast, but not sportscars.

Maserati need the next GT to be the right car and to be able to last for another 10 years. Its probably going to need to be able to support ICE, hybrid, and full-electric powertrains to support the different markets. Look at Tesla's announcement, with a pinch of salt, but also the plans of Porsche etc, to see where this is going. Maserati could probably have brought out a new GT car, using the V8TT engine this year. They would then be stuck having to make another one to change the powertrain in say 3-4 years and being behind the curve again.

Contigo

Sponsor
How is it Snobbery? I acknowledge a good car when I see one and the current crop are not good imo. They are just average at best on old platforms with old tech and dirty diesel engines from the FCA group. The Petrol S variant is better but still not something I aspire to at all. Sorry but for me the current range is just mediocre or "Meh" as some like to put it. I realise that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and you won't agree as an owner of a Ghibli.

Hopefully one day Maserati will launch a car that gives us that "nutsack tingle" again?

Cars. What are they?

For most, they are a means of convenience. They enable human beings to transport themselves and goods in a manner more efficient than walking or more modern modes like horse & cart and bikes.

For the few, they are all the above plus objects of desire and passion. For the few, these “cars” are more often than not less practical than those chosen by “the many”.

The single goal of any company, private or public is to drive and maintain “shareholder” value. Even companies that do not turn a profit (at the moment), they have a business model that still drives shareholder value.

It has long been accepted that for car companies to survive on a “global” scale, they need to offer cars that drive shareholder value. Therefore these “cars” will be models that can “generally” be afforded by the masses and perform a multitude of functions that will attract the widest demographic of buyers.

Whether the building of models “for the many” drives the profit (nee funding) to build cars “for the few” or whether building cars “for the few” is driven by aspirational marketing for “the many”, the reality is that today, the world has moved on and car companies can not survive unless they have “for the many” models driving the ability to produce shareholder value.

Yes, there are exceptions. Konisegg being one of them but 3D printing technology has really helped them survive with their unique brand value.

So Maserati like any other brand, irrespective of whether they are part of a “group”, need to contribute towards shareholder value creation. That has meant them shifting their business model focus towards producing models that can appeal “to the many”.

This has been at the expense of the “for the few” models which its brand has always been built on.

For me, the issue is all down to effective leadership and communication. If they came out with a committed 5 year plan and stuck to it with effective updates along the way, then we would all forgive them as we a) knew what the game plan was and b) trusted them to execute on it. There has been muddled communication and missed deadlines on published commitments. Unfortuately, that seems very much the norm in todays world we live in. Everything is so short sighted unless you are someone like Elon Musk who has the balls to try and deliver on a long-term vision.

To the cars, I do not think the Ghibli is mediocre. I like it. I like it more today than I did when it first came out. Speed limits have not gone up. In the real world, we drive slower as there are many more cars on the road. If you truly want to drive the Stradale to its potential on the roads, then you are a tit of the highest order. It has a heater and SatNav. What more do you really “need”?

Unfortunately, the world is mired by fickle people who blast something for no real reason, as in reality, something performs the function very well so there is no need to blast it.

I am at the gym waiting for my daughter to finish her tennis lesson. We came in the 5 GT Turbo. I spent the journey chuckling how bouncy and almost out of control I felt,,,, at 40 MPH but I loved it. You do not need to go fast to enjoy driving.

Let’s just all enjoy our cars.

We’re all a long time dead.....

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Stu

Andyk

How is it Snobbery? I acknowledge a good car when I see one and the current crop are not good imo. They are just average at best on old platforms with old tech and dirty diesel engines from the FCA group. The Petrol S variant is better but still not something I aspire to at all. Sorry but for me the current range is just mediocre or "Meh" as some like to put it. I realise that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and you won't agree as an owner of a Ghibli.

Hopefully one day Maserati will launch a car that gives us that "nutsack tingle" again?

We are definately singing from the same sheet Phil.....100% with your thoughts......My nutsack tingle stopped after the GT with Maserati and had to look wise were to get the same nutsack tingle.....

Contigo

Sponsor
Well said 3leftoverthecrest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes well put and all of it I agree with. I'm not talking about speed here, the Strad isn't even a fast car by modern standard. I'm talking about how the cars are and for me they leave me cold. If Alfa can build the 4C and the Giulia QF under FCA then there are no excuses why Maserati can't, the brand has been strangled and always been in the shadow of the Maranello brand since the late 90's and has just got worse since then. It pains me to say it but I wont' be sticking with the brand unless they bring out something special in the next few years.

philw696

Well said Stu.
Most of us have had many interesting cars over the years and for me I'm at peace with my self.
I have my 4x4 dirty diesel Ute for chores and rugged terrain.
For my pleasurable driving I have my 4200 the XJC and the Mini Cooper.
The joy of being individuals and free thinking is we can have what we want and me for one doesn't want a SUV.