so far so good on sourcing parts myself - GS major service

foibles

I have a friend's service invoice for the 31K mile / 50K klm service on his Gransport, and am so far happy with what I have scrounged up;

Engine oil;

He was charged over $36 per litre x 9 litres - no mention of brand = $330
I paid $10 per litre for the 7.5 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 = $75

Spark Plugs

He was charged over $48 per plug - no mention of brand = $387
I paid $11.50 each for my NGK Iridium = $92

Pollen Filter

He was charged $141 - no mention of brand
I paid $21 for my Fram CFA8788

Air filter

He was charged $137 - no mention of brand
I paid $112 for my BMC FB349/12

I've also picked up Gates belts for $11 apiece and EBC Yellows for $75 for the fronts - all of these are over-the-net delivered to the door - most from the US.

I don't intend to do the work myself - I have zero mechanical aptitude and I still want them expertly serviced and the book stamped - but I was not keen to replicate his $2000+ service bill.

Once the exercise is complete I'll post it in the Aussie section for those who just want to push the buttons to purchase the necessary parts...

adam01

I have a friend's service invoice for the 31K mile / 50K klm service on his Gransport, and am so far happy with what I have scrounged up;

Engine oil;

He was charged over $36 per litre x 9 litres - no mention of brand = $330
I paid $10 per litre for the 7.5 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 = $75

Spark Plugs

He was charged over $48 per plug - no mention of brand = $387
I paid $11.50 each for my NGK Iridium = $92

Pollen Filter

He was charged $141 - no mention of brand
I paid $21 for my Fram CFA8788

Air filter

He was charged $137 - no mention of brand
I paid $112 for my BMC FB349/12

I've also picked up Gates belts for $11 apiece and EBC Yellows for $75 for the fronts - all of these are over-the-net delivered to the door - most from the US.

I don't intend to do the work myself - I have zero mechanical aptitude and I still want them expertly serviced and the book stamped - but I was not keen to replicate his $2000+ service bill.

Once the exercise is complete I'll post it in the Aussie section for those who just want to push the buttons to purchase the necessary parts...
Hi
What city r u in?

Apologies if already advises

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

foibles

No mention of an oil filter but they are expensive here in New Zealand.

yes Phil - some things are nigh on impossible to source - oil filter, 75W90 gear oil, even the F1 oil is a bit problematic - but I'll turn an eye to these ones today.

tcrote5516

right you are!

**ahem**

too eager in my description....NGK Laser Platinum (sorry) - pmr8a

I just replaced mine with NGK Laser Platinum PMR8B The "B" at the end is the revised version with platinum on both ends. The "A" only has it on one side. I got a set of 8 on ebay for $79 shipped to my door here in the US.

BL330

Hi Jeremy, a word of caution about your oil selection. 5W40 may be the spec in the owner's manual but it is not the spec for out here.
40 is too thin for our heat, but very suitable for the colder climates. The Australian spec is 60. I can't remember the first figure.
Secondly for these engines you really should buy the best oil money can afford.
The Indi I used in Sydney ran Liqimoly race oils in mine.
Another Indi swears by Selenia Racing, which is now fitted in mine.
Both these guys are factory trained Ferrari Maserati mechanics.

FIFTY

^^This is very old from around 2010

I bought my EBC yellows from Ebay for a great price last year, after the same warning from the forum I called up EBC and spoke with their technical guy who confirmed that there are no new incidents of fake EBC's on the market and if there is they will probably launch a renewed warning

He said to look out for chamferred edges and the groove in the centre. No spelling mistakes in the typing of the instructions the box or on the pads. Once fitted and used in anger the yellow paint on the pads should not fade

foibles

I just replaced mine with NGK Laser Platinum PMR8B The "B" at the end is the revised version with platinum on both ends. The "A" only has it on one side. I got a set of 8 on ebay for $79 shipped to my door here in the US.

Awesome stuff!

I did have the option to buy the B at a higher price, but my googling suggested Ferrari indicated the difference as being immaterial (it's a difference of material that is immaterial?). My price of $11.50 AUD equates to about $8.50 USD, and given this included freight to Australia (where half the cost is) - presumably the unit cost was about $7.

foibles

^^This is very old from around 2010

I bought my EBC yellows from Ebay for a great price last year, after the same warning from the forum I called up EBC and spoke with their technical guy who confirmed that there are no new incidents of fake EBC's on the market and if there is they will probably launch a renewed warning

He said to look out for chamferred edges and the groove in the centre. No spelling mistakes in the typing of the instructions the box or on the pads. Once fitted and used in anger the yellow paint on the pads should not fade

Cheers guys. Curiously - I bought them direct from Amazon (prime?) - never done this before, and it was only a front seat at what seemed to be a silly price inc freight, so I just bought them for lack of focus...

In my reading, it seems that the red stuff is a better application for my specific needs, so I will either go with them, or the Ferodo or Mintex pads.

foibles

Hi Jeremy, a word of caution about your oil selection. 5W40 may be the spec in the owner's manual but it is not the spec for out here.
40 is too thin for our heat, but very suitable for the colder climates. The Australian spec is 60. I can't remember the first figure.
Secondly for these engines you really should buy the best oil money can afford.
The Indi I used in Sydney ran Liqimoly race oils in mine.
Another Indi swears by Selenia Racing, which is now fitted in mine.
Both these guys are factory trained Ferrari Maserati mechanics.

Cheers Bruce - I had contemplated whether the 5w40 would not be suited to our climes. Whilst I don't drive these cars much, and not for long drives, I see the sense in what you (and the indis above) have suggested. I must now make a phone call to re-direct the purchase and get new stock. To think I had hoped to do this all from my keyboard!

Thanks again.

rs48635

Cheers guys. Curiously - I bought them direct from Amazon (prime?) - never done this before, and it was only a front seat at what seemed to be a silly price inc freight, so I just bought them for lack of focus...

In my reading, it seems that the red stuff is a better application for my specific needs, so I will either go with them, or the Ferodo or Mintex pads.

Started on EBC yellow, now on EBC red which produce less dust.
Tech and McGrath did't like EBC at all and even complained about lack of bite during road test. Am I being seduced by branding? Might try the stock pads next time on the QP (Ferodo not OEM)