MkI Golf Caddy Pickup wanted

2b1ask1

Special case
Just putting out a general request if anyone has one squirrelled away or knows of one languishing on a farm etc. My middle lad doesn't look like he wants to get back on a bike so is looking for alternatives and fancies one of these as a nice easy mechanical beast to cut his teeth on.

StuartW

They're cool little pick ups & I like the early Subaru pick ups too with the flat 4 engine, they look tiny next to the giant ones on the road now

conaero

Forum Owner
That green one looks neat. With any MK1, check for oil out the exhaust on hard revving, thats the expensive one plus 2nd gear selection and crunching issues, they are well know to wear that synchro.

Everything else is pretty simple, trim will be hard to find being that old but suspect there is a pretty healthy MK1 network.

safrane

There is a great MK 1 network and club that I used for my old Golf.

Lots of parts are remanufactured and available vja VW heritage. Also the MK 1 remained in production in S Africa up to 10 years ago.

philw696

I rallied VW Mk1 Golfs and Scirrocos for 20 years using the 1600 engine and the original Gti 4 speed box and twin 40 Weber dcoe carbs and disc brakes all round.
It was a bullet proof stage rally car.
100's of events under its belt and never blew an engine or gearbox.
Go for it Newton junior.

Ebenezer

Scirroco - My dream car when I was young and fantasizing about what car I was going to get when I had the opportunity. Ended up with a 105K 7 previous owner Opel Kadett....:)
Eb

2b1ask1

Special case
I rallied VW Mk1 Golfs and Scirrocos for 20 years using the 1600 engine and the original Gti 4 speed box and twin 40 Weber dcoe carbs and disc brakes all round.
It was a bullet proof stage rally car.
100's of events under its belt and never blew an engine or gearbox.
Go for it Newton junior.

Interesting Phil, so you'd dump the injection for a trad carb setup? Obviously this is pre CAN-BUS so very doable.

philw696

Got more power mate and the induction roar is just something else.
Bottom end lightened and balanced.
Bigger valves ported and polished head.
Built it myself revved to 8,000 and had some good results around the southwest and Wales.