GTS Auto OEM Valved Boxes For Sale

CatmanV2

From a 4.8? ;)

If they stay that price, then yes a *very* good deal. If anyone is thinking of getting them (and I would very much recommend the upgrade), get the seller to check the valves move freely and hopefully there are no rattles.

C

bigbob

From a 4.8? ;)

If they stay that price, then yes a *very* good deal. If anyone is thinking of getting them (and I would very much recommend the upgrade), get the seller to check the valves move freely and hopefully there are no rattles.

C

Agree in the round. Trouble is one side on mine moves when you push it but it still sticks open until you slow down. Can't be bothered to fix it as I have sort of three versions of the exhaust now but despite the fault they seem fine on initial inspection.

PS I still need to see whether that section of plastic pipe has a pressure loss as that could explain things.

conaero

Forum Owner
So what is the difference between these and the 4.7 MC Shift other than the tail pipe?

Do they open at a certain rpm from memory?

CatmanV2

So what is the difference between these and the 4.7 MC Shift other than the tail pipe?

Do they open at a certain rpm from memory?

Opening would be controlled by the ECU, not the valves. They are just basic. I don't think there's any difference. They *look* identical (apart from the tail)

Bigbob some lubricant spray might fix yours. It's a very harsh environment, and they aren't the most corrosion resistant things there

C

bigbob

Ta. I've regularly sprayed WD40 on the spring/slider and up into the you know what thing.

CatmanV2

Ta. I've regularly sprayed WD40 on the spring/slider and up into the you know what thing.

Worth doing the link and the pivots as well, but I suspect they simply won't last very long. You might also consider a high temp lithium spray or graphite / silicon. Nasty feeling the WD40 evaporates pretty sharpish. They do get hot :) I found this out trying to pop a camera up there ;)

C

MGT

What's the best way of testing them? (sorry if this is a silly question!)

I have some lithium spray I use for jobs like this. Is greasing them up a fairly easy-to-access job once under the car?

CatmanV2

You can move the valves by hand. They can be quite stiff though. Or start the car and press the button :)

They are reachable when you get under without much effort.

C

bigbob

I use a socket set screwdriver but without the bit in the end. Note that the valves are in slightly different places to each other depending on what side you are on but whichever you don't need to get under the car to any real degree.