Why are QPs so cheap?

zagatoes30

Diesel but it does look good value, they QP IV is growing on me I have seen a few in London and they have a nice presence amongst all normal Germanic offerings

rockits

Seems to be the case for lots of high end big executive wagons. I bought a 3 year old XJ TT Premium Luxury a couple of years back for 23k....was 75k list with extras.

Shame this QP isn't petrol.

Bonkers these kind of cars are so cheap but most don't want them. Not sure why but good for us....I love a big exec wagon. My QP Exec GT was 95k but less than 20k after 9 years and 58k miles. Great value really.

How about a newer QP GTS with the Cali TT engine in? They can't be much more.

safrane

Cause they cost a packet to service and repair like all big barges and used car buyers (in the main) don't want £1k + service and same for items like brakes etc.

But if you like a Maser but need the space its no more than a 4200/GT etc.

Andyk

Cause they cost a packet to service and repair like all big barges and used car buyers (in the main) don't want £1k + service and same for items like brakes etc.

This...Pete has knocked it on the head.......QP's are big cars and generally big cars don't shift easily but add the Maserati name and they tend to drop of a cliff price wise. Very limited market. Just look at the earlier QP's.....Are the 4.2 cars not as good as the 4.2 GT's ..... They ar as good and in some models better but the GT is the sexy alternative so prices are firmer than the 4 door.......The QP is a great car but not loved outside our circles unfortunately. But good if you want to buy one. Just look at the classifieds most hVe been in the classifieds for months and months and months....If not 6 months to a year.......Buy one and keep it.

bigbob

+1.

The QPVI may look cheap now but will still drop lots more. Despite that a petrol S model is very appealing and they drive really well.

MGT

+1.

The QPVI may look cheap now but will still drop lots more. Despite that a petrol S model is very appealing and they drive really well.

I think you are right that they haven't yet bottomed out.

Andyk

You just need to look at the QP prices for the V to see where the VI is going.

Michael

Worth remembering that the QP V were assembled in Modena, body made by Scaglietti (Ferrari) factory and of course the engine was too. The new stuff isn't.

Of course none of this will arrest the depreciation, but at least we can define a difference,

Massa in Perth

Big 4 door sedans have never held their value. 7 Series or Arnage anyone? My QP5 GT cost someone $300k AUD new and I paid 20% of that 10 years later, with 58k kms on the clock. They'll probably never go up in our lifetime.

The only reason to buy one is to enjoy it. The trick is buying one before its owner starts skimping on service/parts as those costs become ever increasing proportion of the cars worth.

Ebenezer

I've almost put 20K miles on mine in 3.5 years taking the long way to the petrol station Enjoyed every moment. The fact that it's worth diddly squat means that I can get on and enjoy it. Just about to hit 60K so really falling off a cliff value wise! :)
Eb

IanU

I think the decision to offer diesels in the range was probably driven by external industry pressures which is now starting to backfire. If you look at the number of diesel Ghibli's for sale now, I think they just don't match the brand to be honest. Conversation piece "wow a Maser -what engine is in that?"......."it's the 3 litre diesel" ......."oh!!...".
I can understand why people would - but you probably wouldn't bat an eye at a 730d or an A8 TDI or S Class 3whatever, in fact you'd probably be wiser to choose these over their bigger petrol equivalents
Maser' ...no - just no.
I think the petrol ones will hold their own on their own merit. I'm sure the diesel is a stormer but...
I came close to going for a diesel QP, age/economy/tax/current generation, but to pass up a 4.7 Ferrari V8, I'd have regretted it forever. :) Heart 1, Head Nil.

Cheers
Ian.

rs48635

Having sat in this one at DL's I'm very tempted, especially given the mileage. They've had it a while and I'm sure there's a deal to be done but I'd first have to sell my current babies.

http://www.dicklovett.co.uk/maserati/used-cars/6998414-maserati-quattroporte-petrol-s/

PH

That is quite something, the interior is great and I love the Alcantara roof lining. The brown wood looks good in the pictures too. Shame I prefer the looks of previous QP V especially the side profile. Good looking from the rear 3/4 though.

Motorsport3

I ve put a deposit down for a QP V w duo select w 40k miles. Collecting on Saturday. As was pointed out earlier it really is pretty unique in provenance. One of the most successful projects of a count - Montezemolo. Haven't driven the QP VI, could be a good limo, but made by bean counter Marchionne.

Andyk

A big warm welcome and spot on with the QP...Look forward to seeing some pictures when you get her.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
In answering your origional question , Its cause they is ugly:beach:

Beg to differ, best looking 4 door saloon on the road in many people’s opinion. They’re cheap as all 4 door saloons depreciate masssively and are never as desirable as their coupe counterparts.