Cold Start Up

Lozzer

Another update lol, been for a smoke test which confirmed a slight leak under the manifold, nothing major, manifold off and resealed along with new o rings and smoke tested again along with all systems reset to confirm everything being hunky dory. Still the same though, along with a pulsing idle and a hanging hot start of around 1800/2000rpm, not that I mind but it gets a bit embarrassing in the petrol station lol
Cheers
Loz

Another update lol , found this while checking the airboxes tonight, the pipe from the oil tank to the back of the LH airbox has/had broken, also i can blow into both ends of the pipe unrestricted, which im assuming is not normal? i will be pretty miffed as the smoke test wasnt exactly small change.

IMG_20180620_201830.jpg

IMG_20180620_201651.jpg

IMG_20180620_201754.jpg

Tamariini

So I bought one of those WiFi gizmos in able to see if anything untoward was happening, now the 02 sensor voltages, is this a normal reading? One seems to be quite active, the other giving low reading?
Thanks
Loz
36926e87a7fdb7da1c1dcd190253da30.jpg
8dead4f2bfe26b7da5da064c1b8c5e87.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

If engine has just been started, then yes. If in working temperature, then no. in working temperature O2 voltage should go constantly up'n down on closed loop mode and 'stuck' at WOT (open loop condition) to other end.

Duncanofengland

I've had a similar problem with Ford Explorers. On them, it is caused by hardened inlet manifold seals, with allow leakage until the engine warms slightly, when they expand and fill the gaps.

Maybe changing the inlet seals would help.

Duncan

alfatwo

Lozzer

If engine has just been started, then yes. If in working temperature, then no. in working temperature O2 voltage should go constantly up'n down on closed loop mode and 'stuck' at WOT (open loop condition) to other end.

Yes, had just been started when I took those, was looking for something untoward while cold, good Info though thanks.
Ta
Loz

Lozzer

I've had a similar problem with Ford Explorers. On them, it is caused by hardened inlet manifold seals, with allow leakage until the engine warms slightly, when they expand and fill the gaps.

Maybe changing the inlet seals would help.

Duncan

Had Smoke test, inlet off and reassembled with all new o rings etc, still the same unfortunately, it was a case of "they all do that sir" hmmph

Roberts Aerospace

SPONSOR: Maseratished
When was the TB done? Heard of corroded magnets and such like. I looked at this as mine has been converted already, Maserati Shed will not entertain a TB that has already been converted because they "don't want to be associated with other peoples bodges" which is fine, but there are no records of which cars (including the shed) have been done as far as I can tell, I find that stance all a bit 5hit really.

That's nothing that I've ever said, I'm afraid. So whoever is taking the "5hit stance", it's not me. I will always take on a previously bodged throttle body. However, I've seen some horrific bodges, and the resulting rebuilt throttle body is always better if it's been unopened before I get it. Also, some of the bodging means that the throttle body is beyond repair.

Mike
www.maseratished.co.uk

Roberts Aerospace

SPONSOR: Maseratished
I don't want to cause a storm, but David Askew says he's had quite a few Maserati Shed throttle body come backs he's had the deal with over the years!

Dave

I'm not aware of any ETBs of mine going to DA other than ones that I've declined to repair because they are so damaged that I can't give my usual guarantee for them. Obviously, there are many problems with these throttle bodies, not just the contacts, and as I've been rebuilding these for many, many, years, I'm sure some of mine will end up with David five or ten years after I've repaired them with subsequent problems, as I have seen several of his. These things don't last forever. Although, I'm not sure that he's ever forgiven me for going on TV and showing how to take them apart!

Mike
www.maseratished.co.uk

Lozzer

That's nothing that I've ever said, I'm afraid. So whoever is taking the "5hit stance", it's not me. I will always take on a previously bodged throttle body. However, I've seen some horrific bodges, and the resulting rebuilt throttle body is always better if it's been unopened before I get it. Also, some of the bodging means that the throttle body is beyond repair.

Mike
www.maseratished.co.uk
Hi, Thanks for the clarification. :drinks:
I've read this type of statement more than once though. Just saying.

Last edited: