4200 Thermostat install

GraemeA

Hi Guys

I changed the header tank and the thermostat on my 4200 CC over our long holiday weekend. It was quite a job. The header tank (Nourice)was easy but I managed to dislodge the clip on the RH bonnet strut and lost it in the depths of the engine bay which no amount of searhing has turned up.

The themostat was more of a challenge. I had real trouble removing the bottom radiator hose as it was stuck fast and a struggle to get free. Trying to remove the small hose from the head to the extreme right top of the radiator, for extra clearance, resulted in it breaking off - which was a pain. Being plastic it broke off before the rubber hose came free. I fixed it with a brass tube I salvaged from the old nourice tank, in a hole drilled to fit and some epoxy.

Ideally, as others have said, you need small hands to get the cap screws out of the thermostat housing. I have big hands and lost a bit of skin in the process. I was lucky to have a tiny hex ratchet for the 5mm cap screws which had enough strength with an extension on the handle to get them undone. It's a tight fit to remove and re-install and it enabled enough clearance to get the screws out and in. I took the housing in from the top and out from the bottom. It took several goes to get the hose positioned right on the housing to enable refitting. I did the job on some homemade ramps and I had to wriggle around a lot during the process.

Result: My car was running at 70c before - going to 90c only under duress, Now it sits at about 80c-85c which makes me happy, but it's not a job I'd like to tackle again in a hurry.

Cheers and thanks to others who shared their feedback.

Graeme

philw696

Out of interest did you get the thermostat from Wingers in Auckland and how much $ was it.
The just charged me $110 for an oil filter as my parts supply from the UK is in storage at the moment.

GraemeA

No Phil, I got the thermostat and header tank from Eurospares. I got them in the same box as my new rear lower arms. I'm sure the price would have been a fraction of that if I bought locally.

Yes, I paid the same $110 for an oil filter from Wingers - or it may have been slightly more with freight. If you find a cheap source let me know - the lowest I've seen is $47US on Ebay.