4200 on track

Mr.Cambio

Spent the weekend on track in the Maser, i haven't done it since 2010, so several thoughts were made and i want to share them here.
We had the racetrack reserved for us, it was me, some BMWs(M3,M4, 335, M2), a 458, a 360 and an F430, four or five Porsche turbo, an S65 amg and 4 GTRs, half of them with over 600 hp, plus a heavily tuned impresa, which seemed the fastest of all.
I wasn't faster than most of the cars, but i was fast for myself, which i am very happy of. I cannot take seriously people having AWD cars and beeing faster. I have owned an S3 for one year which showed me that anyone could drive this car extremely fast. Same, in my point of view was for the nissans and porsches, as long as for the beemers.
The 4200 is not a supercar, it's a grand tourer, so it cannot handle like the others, but it needs an experienced driver to be driven fast and this is what i do like. German cars, even if fast ones, can be driven from everyone.There were times i wish i got an 997 turbo, or a nissan, that could handle better, but it won't be a 4200, not a hand built interior, not a ferrari engine, not an elegant appearance. I have to admit though, that i need to make a trofeo suspension(conversion maybe?), in order to turn in in a more stable way.
But that's enough with comparisons, the 4200 herself only once did give me a brake fade, after repeated braking, brakes are very capable, not impressive though (550 discs, SS brake lines, ebc red). Did not expect them to perform that well, and to be honest this was my concern before tracking her.
I had the chance to replace tyres in the last months, trying for the first time the Pirelli corsas. They look to wear, but their performance were b r e a t h t a k i n g , without understeer, and sticking like glue on the asphalt. On the way back, i tried them on wet as well, that was another surprise.
I had the chance to make some play on track with the 360, which could never overtake me, no matter if speed was 60 or 200 km/h. Mainly at high rpm it was very difficult for the fezza to be close, and this must have been due to the additional hp (ecu, exhaust, filter). It would be nice if there are some pics taken, i need to ask.
And a last one...the sound....no porsche or nissan or bwm can have such a passionate sound. Sometimes i wish that i could sit outside and listen to the engine rising to the redline.
Would love to hear your feedback of your car on track.

Last edited:

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep very capable on track Nicos for a heavy car. Tracked my GTS a few times and whilst another few hundred kg heavier than the Coupe it handles well. I would more than happily take on most hot hatches round most tracks that's for sure.

philw696

Have to say when I tracked my first Classico on the forum trackday and driving her there and back I have to agree very capable for a Grand tourer which makes a spirited drive on the road so much fun.
Looking forwards to your pictures Nicos :)

allandwf

Tell me more about the tyres, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Looking at Trofeos for the AC.

Andyk

Having fun on track is never about if you car is quicker than the others...it's about having fun....enjoying your car at your limits. Some of the best times I've had on track have not been in the faster cars but ones that just put a big smile on your face......and one of those was the Toyota GT86.......Sounds like you had loads of fun Nikos.

philw696

The Honda Civic Vtech with a 170 bhp was one of the most fun I took on the forum track days for sure along with the bargain E36 M3 3.0 that I took there and back on my trade plates absolute fun :)

Mr.Cambio

Having fun on track is never about if you car is quicker than the others...it's about having fun....enjoying your car at your limits. Some of the best times I've had on track have not been in the faster cars but ones that just put a big smile on your face......and one of those was the Toyota GT86.......Sounds like you had loads of fun Nikos.

Agree, but when i see less experienced people with awd cars driving faster, i simply imagine me of how much faster i can go in their car. The tuned Alfa Mito is the best handling car i ve ever had, and it makes cornering so easy, in comparison to the 4200.

Mr.Cambio

Tell me more about the tyres, I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Looking at Trofeos for the AC.

Better get the trofeos, i ll keep the corsas and we ll compare them both in one year from now!

When i looked for tyres, the corsas were not available here, and i was offered the trofeos. I rejected them cause i do not have any road feedback, so i chose corsas. They are better from rossos, a bit more noisy too. Honestly i cannot talk about wear, but i will be happy if the perform up to 12/15000 kms. Note that i live in a warm climate, so not sure if performance up there will be equal. But they did warm up since the first lap.

m1980k

I should have put Corsas or Trofeos on my car since I don't use it in the cold or wet anyway. And I only do about 2k miles a year.

Perhaps the FD springs and sway (anti roll) bars would work for you?

allandwf

Corsas were the ACs original fitment, but no longer available, if I can get Trofeo load ratings correct then I will go with them.

Mr.Cambio

I should have put Corsas or Trofeos on my car since I don't use it in the cold or wet anyway. And I only do about 2k miles a year.

Perhaps the FD springs and sway (anti roll) bars would work for you?

Ι have the springs and i love them. I didnt say that the car doesnt work, i say it can be better.

m1980k

Ι have the springs and i love them. I didnt say that the car doesnt work, i say it can be better.

I think something got lost in translation there! You said you needed trofeo suspension, I said try the FD parts.

I've been toying with the idea of doing suspension, brakes exhaust and tyres since I got the GS. But then I think I should spend the money on an Elise instead..

Mr.Cambio

If i was to make a serious upgrade, i would go for the trofeo. But again i dont know if there is such suspension. FD springs did a massive improvement though.
You know, every time i am flitring with the idea of getting a better handling or faster car, i realise that i do love the 4200 for what it is.

Nayf

I was very impressed with the 4200's handling when I drove Rockits' car for the mag (out tomorrow btw). I was expecting something a bit further towards Jaguar XKR than Aston DB9, but it sits nicely in between.

FIFTY

If you want to upgrade your suspension get the KW V3 adjustable coil overs. They are half the price of replacement skyhook coilovers and will massively dial in your handling if you want. I want to get a set at some point

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I think something got lost in translation there! You said you needed trofeo suspension, I said try the FD parts.

I've been toying with the idea of doing suspension, brakes exhaust and tyres since I got the GS. But then I think I should spend the money on an Elise instead..

Having sold my Elise S1 111s of 8 years before buying my Maser, no way can a GS/4200 be made to handle like an Elise. It can be improved for sure, but they are totally different cars and the Elise for sure, is one of the best handling cars one could ever buy, and is as near to a go-cart on the road as there will ever be.