T-Charge

2b1ask1

Special case
So the weakling asthmatic Khan has today introduced his anti-diesel charge on the centre of London; this does however also hit a good many older petrol engines vehicles including 4200 & GS and older... Just a heads up!

IMG_6801.jpg

At the moment it is only to Euro3 and does not include motorcycles but be aware it is only in the trial phase and will be extended to include Euro 4 possibly even 5 and motorcycles before he leaves office I personally guarantee.

2b1ask1

Special case
However my 2.9 petrol Volvo XC-90 (2003) is exempt at the moment despite the face it does less to the gallon in the city than the GS!

RSM Masser

My 3200 is chargeable as well
Not that I drive it into London very often, I have done on Maserati Froum meets at the Ace

MrMickS

Its always put on the private motorist as a surcharge. If they were serious about it they'd encourage the switch of working vehicles to electric and just ban private vehicles from some areas entirely, with the possible exception of residents. You just need to come out of Amsterdam Schiphol airport to see the difference that encouraging electric cars can have. When commuted there 3-4 years ago I'd never seen as many Tesla Model S lined up for your custom.

We'd rather bleat about it and try to charge people instead of taking the bull by the horns and trying to solve the problem.

RW3200

Its always put on the private motorist as a surcharge. If they were serious about it they'd encourage the switch of working vehicles to electric and just ban private vehicles from some areas entirely, with the possible exception of residents. You just need to come out of Amsterdam Schiphol airport to see the difference that encouraging electric cars can have. When commuted there 3-4 years ago I'd never seen as many Tesla Model S lined up for your custom.

We'd rather bleat about it and try to charge people instead of taking the bull by the horns and trying to solve the problem.

I agree, the public service vehicles should be first on the list. There's already an electric black cab, convert the buses and that'll have a sizeable impact on the levels alone.
I don't believe it's fair to put petrol cars in the same bracket as diesel. Petrol engines have improved greatly in the last 20yrs and have the scope to be modified to take a biofuel in the future, whereas the only way to improve a diesel engine (it seems) is to fiddle with it's software.
The RAC and such lobbying groups need to fight this as it stinks of the lazy default thinking of people who have no idea of the needs and practicalities of real life yet again.

R

Wack61

Same as always, not a ban but a charge , carry on as long as you give us £££

Apparently black cabs are exempt from the charge which as they're doing thousands of short trips a day tells you all you need to know

safrane

If you examine the most poluted areas of London they are the main bus routes and the airports... not that they will ever tax them off the roads/air.

MrPea

If you examine the most poluted areas of London they are the main bus routes and the airports... not that they will ever tax them off the roads/air.
Conversely, it looks like Oxford are not going to be exempting the public service vehicles from their upcoming zero-emission zone. Seeing as two of the streets in Oxford have been the most polluted streets in the country, they're doing a great job of forcing the bus companies, in particular, to sort out their act. Well, that was until last month when the council decided to alter one bus stop on High Street such that it now causes bus-deadlock most of the time and the fumes are horrid.

I really really appreciate bringing down those fumes most of the time when I'm on my cycle. I'm just hoping they'll be sensible about private car drivers who won't be in a position to switch to vehicles that can go through the centre on full electric power. I think I need a P1.

TridentTested

Agree with all of this.

It was only today, reading up on the T-Charge, that I realised LGVs and HGVs pay the same Congestion Charge as private cars. Madness, they are producing umpteen times the pollution. As for taxis, some reports I've seen say London black cabs are responsible for 40% of vehicle pollution all by themselves. There are cleaner taxis out there (Uber use Prius) but TfL drags their heels and insist the Green Badge trade uses horrible FX4s with engines from the Ark.

MrMickS

Conversely, it looks like Oxford are not going to be exempting the public service vehicles from their upcoming zero-emission zone. Seeing as two of the streets in Oxford have been the most polluted streets in the country, they're doing a great job of forcing the bus companies, in particular, to sort out their act. Well, that was until last month when the council decided to alter one bus stop on High Street such that it now causes bus-deadlock most of the time and the fumes are horrid.

I really really appreciate bringing down those fumes most of the time when I'm on my cycle. I'm just hoping they'll be sensible about private car drivers who won't be in a position to switch to vehicles that can go through the centre on full electric power. I think I need a P1.

York started introducing electric buses from the Park and Ride places a few years ago. See more of them on the main city routes now. The villages are a different matter at the moment as they are run by small companies that I assume can't afford the new buses. Hopefully that'll change over time.

I'd use the Park and Ride but it costs more than a couple of hours parking which is about all we spend in the centre and makes a 20 minute journey into 45-60 minutes dependent on timing. York have tried banning private vehicles from areas of the city, famously over one particular bridge, but failed badly in implementation resulting in fines being returned and the whole thing making a loss.

keith

This is just to get everyone use to the idea. The real money making scheme starts when they role it out on newer cars. After all those that frequent central London are so wealthy it won't matter, and if anything will free up the roads for their Aventadors.
Usual joke...
Rant over ;)

Ewan

Just checked my cars, the vast majority of which fail:angry:

Strangely the MC-V fails and the QP GTS passes, even though they have virtually the same engine and were built within a few months of each other.

D Walker

Won't matter when all the banks have gone to Germany/Paris, it will be a ghost town and they will pay us to visit.

hilts uk

Check and my MCV is not chargeable ... July 2016 build. Sorry Ewan !
Just checked my cars, the vast majority of which fail:angry:

Strangely the MC-V fails and the QP GTS passes, even though they have virtually the same engine and were built within a few months of each other.

Corranga

From what I see, this is restricted to the central London congestion charge areas right?

My Elise is subject to the T-Charge. It'll do 40mpg in town, which I'd bet is a LOT better than some newer non-qualifying hybrids from the likes of Lexus etc. Ah well, the likelihood of me taking it there is slim to none anyway!

MrMickS

Tongue in cheek Mick, I always use the rail museum car park in York if there are 2 or more in car, just 2, park n ride!

I realised that hence the winking smiley. That's the wrong side of York for me, takes far too long to get there. I park in the Shambles Q-Park, on one of the top two levels. There's an F430 that parks up there too so I reckon its safe enough.

Corranga said:
My Elise is subject to the T-Charge. It'll do 40mpg in town, which I'd bet is a LOT better than some newer non-qualifying hybrids from the likes of Lexus etc. Ah well, the likelihood of me taking it there is slim to none anyway!
I checked my cars last night and none of them are subject to the charge. I was expecting the Alfa Spider, being a 2001 car, to be subject to it but apparently not. The checker I used was a number plate based one, as that's what they'll use to ID the car. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/compliance-checker

alfatwo

I realised that hence the winking smiley. That's the wrong side of York for me, takes far too long to get there. I park in the Shambles Q-Park, on one of the top two levels. There's an F430 that parks up there too so I reckon its safe enough.

I checked my cars last night and none of them are subject to the charge. I was expecting the Alfa Spider, being a 2001 car, to be subject to it but apparently not. The checker I used was a number plate based one, as that's what they'll use to ID the car. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/compliance-checker

So did I, apparently my 2001 3200GT isn't subject to the charge either, it says the old Maser's Euro 4 compliant!

Dave