Interesting info

Sommi

I have a small and slowly growing collection of videos which I upload to youtube for general comment and appreciation. shameless plug: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm4wFvBUDU0gY96vLnkeP_w

This morning, a QP enthusiast by the look of his/her profile and uploads, left the below comment on one of my videos:

"Also it's there complete Ferrari 4 that's never been. Even though it has the same transaxle as the Gallardo it carries the same with balance as Ferrari's front engine Gran Tourer's the same era 612 Scaglietti is also 47/53 f/r and this wad no accident as it shares many chassis components with the 612. Ferrari owned Maserati when they penned car so it was their designers and engineers who's input went into it. The entire car... the chassis, the engine, the body (Pininfarina) were built by Ferrari then shipped to the Maserati factory where they put it all together and added there interior. The Mark V Quattroporte was Ferrari's idea of what a 4 door Grantourer should be. But this didn't gel with Journalist and owners trading in their S Class Mercedes so they decided to soften it up with the automatic but they were slower.. much slower. So, they changed the configuration from the glorious 4.2L to the not so much 4.7L but the 4.2's are still quicker. I used to think Ferrari should have given it a V12 but 612's although more powerful actually doesn't sound as good. Get them while they're cheap because once collectors start figuring this out and realising how much of a steal these are they'll start scooping them up and they will quadruple in price. It's one of the cheapest "Ferrari" you can get on the market and its almost bullet proof."

I personally did not know the QP shares much with 612. May be the knowledgeable folks that reside here could comment whether above is factual?

Ewan

I'm not convinced by all of that. I certainly can't see collectors scooping them up and their value quadrupling - there are simply too many of them for that to ever happen. And the 4.2 isn't quicker than the 4.7. Similarly, while the auto box does make the standard car a little slower than the DS box version, by the time they sorted the suspension (with the GTS), the auto was quicker again. Take a DS on a track alongside an auto GTS and you'll see what I mean.

Lovely cars though, across the whole range. And cracking value for money.

Wack61

The MkV GTS will probably end up as a classic with mint collector condition cars going up in value but who'd want a car you couldn't drive for fear of devaluing it , there have been a few really low mileage QPs advertised at double the price of similar average mile cars but I doubt any of them have ever sold.

voicey

YouTube Joker said:
Even though it has the same transaxle as the Gallardo

Sadly this is not the case. The transaxle has more in common with a 360.

YouTube Joker said:
as it shares many chassis components with the 612.

Wrong again. The 612 uses dry spherical joints and flanblocs like many other modern Ferrari. Maserati use more "traditional" ball joints and rubber bushes.

One thing it does share with the 612 is the first generation of the Florence can-bus system - which can be a nightmare once it starts to go wrong.

YouTube Joker said:
Ferrari owned Maserati when they penned car

No they didn't. Both Ferrari and Maserati are owned by Fiat. It is true that they were paired together at this time which is why many of the control systems are familiar across both brands.

YouTube Joker said:
The entire car... the chassis, the engine, the body (Pininfarina) were built by Ferrari then shipped to the Maserati factory where they put it all together and added there interior.

The bodies for both companies are made in the Scaglietti coachworks in Modena. Engines are made in the Ferrari factory. The rest of the components come from elsewhere.

YouTube Joker said:
the 4.2's are still quicker.

A 4.7 will easily outpace a 4.2.

YouTube Joker said:
612's although more powerful actually doesn't sound as good.

Although sound is subjective, I'm yet to meet anyone who prefers the noise of a V8 over that of a V12.

YouTube Joker said:
Get them while they're cheap because once collectors start figuring this out and realising how much of a steal these are they'll start scooping them up and they will quadruple in price.

Dream on

YouTube Joker said:
its almost bullet proof.

Indeed - we never see them in the workshop....

Sommi

Sadly this is not the case. The transaxle has more in common with a 360.

Wrong again. The 612 uses dry spherical joints and flanblocs like many other modern Ferrari. Maserati use more "traditional" ball joints and rubber bushes.

One thing it does share with the 612 is the first generation of the Florence can-bus system - which can be a nightmare once it starts to go wrong.

No they didn't. Both Ferrari and Maserati are owned by Fiat. It is true that they were paired together at this time which is why many of the control systems are familiar across both brands.

The bodies for both companies are made in the Scaglietti coachworks in Modena. Engines are made in the Ferrari factory. The rest of the components come from elsewhere.

A 4.7 will easily outpace a 4.2.

Although sound is subjective, I'm yet to meet anyone who prefers the noise of a V8 over that of a V12.

Dream on

Indeed - we never see them in the workshop....
Thanks Ewan, Darren and Voicey! That does clear milk from water for me. I tried searching the internet for similarities between QP and 612 and did not get much at all.
I am very happy with mine and have no intention to sell. So values up or down are not a concern.
Voicey I will call you soon to book in my QP @ AV Engg.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MrMickS

Great information Voicey. The Internet has always been a medium by which the "pub expert" can inflict their "knowledge" on a wide, and uninformed, audience. It does make it difficult to discern the real facts at times.

Nice videos. I also use a rear camera to pick up the exhaust sounds. The images are a pleasant by product :D (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8RGl1hBpM9S2wOo2de59Bg)

Wack61

I do remember a QP previously owned by Elton John with low miles making very strong money for its age but not daft like 4x the norm , maybe 1.5x so that must be the criteria for a valuable one, low miles celebrity owned

CatmanV2

Great information Voicey. The Internet has always been a medium by which the "pub expert" can inflict their "knowledge" on a wide, and uninformed, audience.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge:
Charles Darwin

Now I didn't even know he had access to the internet :)

C

Contigo

Sponsor
Internet armchair expert theory debunked by real life expert :D

All I needed to read was the 4.2 is quicker than 4.7 comment and I knew the rest was utter BS! :D

Tool.........

Sommi

Internet armchair expert theory debunked by real life expert :D

All I needed to read was the 4.2 is quicker than 4.7 comment and I knew the rest was utter BS! :D

Tool.........
Very true Phil.
I plan to request this armchair theorist to join our forum and get "educated".

Sommi

Great information Voicey. The Internet has always been a medium by which the "pub expert" can inflict their "knowledge" on a wide, and uninformed, audience. It does make it difficult to discern the real facts at times.

Nice videos. I also use a rear camera to pick up the exhaust sounds. The images are a pleasant by product :D (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8RGl1hBpM9S2wOo2de59Bg)
That is a very good collection of videos. I have never taken my QP outside the island and must plan something to enjoy some of this roads.

Michael

I will be surprised if the QPV or GT ever go up in value. However, look at the appreciation of the Mercedes SL R107 and now the R129, even though many were produced.

Ewan

Let's put some perspective on it. My SL is 38 years old, but has only gone up in the last 4 years. So the QP V and the GT have a lot of getting older to do yet. Even the oldest of those is only 13.

rockits

I think in 10 years+ the rarer GT's & QP's might have stronger values.

I agree with the R129's which is why I have one. If I'd kept my SL60 it would be worth double what I sold it for 4 years ago but I would have needed to spend about 8k I reckon to have achieved that so not bothered.

The SL500 has doubled since I bought it 3 years ago but still has some room north I believe.