Gear Box Activation Hydraulics Power Unit Hep Please

nico

Hi all, I recently found an oil leak on my 2006 QTP F1 and found that the pipe from the power unit had split. Being a novice I removed the unit to do the repair. It wasn't until after some time that I realised I needed to remove the boot to get to the unit. Once I replaced the damaged pipe I put the unit back in place, re filled the reservoir tank and then tried to start the car. The dash display came up drive and the engine wouldn't fire up. I bled the unit, using the prime pump by opening the door. I have since found out through the forum that it was incorrect. I went back to the unit, broke it down again after draining the gearbox I discovered that the union bolts had 3 of large aperture and 3 of small aperture which I hadn't noticed when it was first reassembled.
So can anyone help? Does the union bolt with the larger aperture go to the power unit side or the actuator side? The gearbox was refilled but not bled. I have since found out how to do that. the activation solenoids and wiring loom was disconnected at the time of removal but the battery was not disconnected. Could this be why the car isn't starting even though the ignition is on and the battery is fully charged? Have I done something to the computer? Or is it the pressure in the unit that's not correct? or something I've not even thought about.
Any genuine advice would be appreciated please
many thanks

safrane

There is a similar post by another member who did a DIY 'fix' on the same unit... It did not go well.

From what I read this job requires a professional with access to the Maserati SD3 diagnostic equipment to bleed each of the gear actuators.

Without that you may get the car to start but your gearbox may fail to select or hold properly.

Best of luck.

Gp79

Try bleeding the clutch hydraulic line, there is a bleed point at the back of the engine (on a 4200 / GS)

Which pipes did you replace? I replaced the F1 pump myself and had no issues.

voicey

It sounds like you have replaced one or more of the high pressure lines between the power unit and actuator. As you've discovered the banjo bolts have different sized holes - the larger holes are for driving the engagement piston in the actuator.

You won't be going anywhere without bleeding the actuator and running a self learn and for that you need an SD3.

BTW: The gearbox oil doesn't need to be bled so as long as you've got the level correct then you can stop worrying about that bit.

EDIT for typo.

nico

Thanks for the advice so far will let you know how I get on have sorted the union (banjo bolt) situation out through goggle images just need to fill the system .